That Documentary

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by cityonfire, Sep 26, 2004.

1. cityonfire

cityonfire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it me? But i found that new two and a half hour documentary a bit of a let down. About a half hour i could honestly say i really liked. With some of the screen tests(Kurt Russell) and info i didnt know. But to me it was just retreading old ground most fans might already know about. Was there anything you guys might liked to have seen in it? Or that they went into something with a little bit more depth that they talked about.

2. Stinja

Stinja
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,991
    Nope it was pretty dull actually. I had watched all the other extras before finding the time for "the biggie", and honestly most of it was covered in the smaller extras, if not in the past on other media.

There is also a rampant amount of brown-nosing to Lucas - i guess the documentary's director cant exactly be critical of the hand-that-feeds, but really...

3. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,835
    they replaced the original documentary producer/director with the guy that gets the credit on this version. Never did find out why (although it may have appeared somewhere), maybe he wasn't as fond of the inside of GL's back passage :rolleyes:

As it's pretty legendary how many edits Star Wars went through before Lucas finally got it right, I thought there'd be a bit more on how he just couldn't manage to put his film together with any kind of success and maybe show some of the slapstick bits he shot. In fact, I've read in various places how he struggled editing all the films in the original trilogy (he's had the same probs with the prequels too) and had to draft in editor after editor to help bail him out. Wouldn't really prop up the way they try and paint him as a genius though... Howard the Duck anyone :rolleyes: :laugh:

4. cityonfire

cityonfire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah it took me three sittings to watch it all. You know when something your watching has not really caught your attention and you cannot stop yawning. It was like that for me. I too would have liked to have seen the more daft slapstick stuff he shot. Also a few more comedy cock ups of stuffed up lines or things not working when they are supposed to etc... would have made it a bit more fun to watch and a bit easier to digest

5. Sammy Jankis

Sammy Jankis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It seems to me that the amount of extras are a bit thin any way. They're probably saving a load of stuff for the big box set when all six films are released together.

There is a hidden blooper reel on the disc, I couldn't get it to work on my pc or dvd player.

6. Kazuya Mishima

Kazuya Mishima

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    It wasn't bad for an 'old' film. New films have much more extras but they are usually awful, sycophantic, 'I love working with' nonsense.

I thought the extras on The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones were excellent. All the web diaries and featurettes were brilliant.

To return to the first post, the DVD review mags seemed to be giving the extras on the trilogy set very high ratings - not really deserved, I agree with cityonfire that it was a bit of a let-down.

Noticed that Dave Prowse was not interviewed - was this because of his famous blabbermouth tendencies? (leaking plot details).

I did very much enjoy Mark Hamill's contribution - although he is often slated for not having much of a career outwith episodes IV - VI, I found him very amusing and fun to listen to. Of course, he took part in a fantastic send-up of himself in Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back!!!

7. Banshee

Banshee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Which is ironic considering his wife at the time, Marcia, is an Oscar-winning editor.

8. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    I didn't mind it.

It did seem like it was just Peter Jackson trying to rim old Lucas a bit too much though.

9. G a f f e r

G a f f e r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +632
    This is my guess/hope:
    Lucas'll probably bring out a 14 disc version with all 6 films on it after epIII arrives. 2 Discs per film (one for the film, one with extras specific to that episode - outtakes, plot lines etc, the usual stuff)
    One disc with that lame documentary (much too much arse licking), but minus the extensive game previews / epIII preview / xbox stuff.
    And final disc to add even more (i mean, LOTR could manage TWO extras discs per FILM.....way to go PJ).

There are outtakes I would have liked to see again such as the cut scene from the beginning of epIV where luke, bigs, and other friend go out of their hang out (bar) to watch a massive imperial battle taking place in sub-orbit.
    This scene was in a cd-rom I had a couple of years ago (can't remember the name).

10. godzilla

godzilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Although a bit long for one sitting there were some real gems in "empire of dreams".

The bit that had me in hysterics was hearing Dave Prowse's original Bristolian take on Vader and best of all, hearing Peter Mayhew speak as Chewie:

"That old man's mad."

Harrison Ford: "boy, you said it Chewie! Where did you dig up that old fossil?"
    (leans on Chewie, then slides off accidentally) :laugh: