1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

That age old newbie question!

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by magnatom, Oct 4, 2004.

1. magnatom

magnatom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Folks,

Yes it's that age old question what camcorder to buy! I have about £450 to spend and so far I have spotted the sony DCR-HC40 which looks like a good bet (It appears I can get it for under £450). Does this seem reasonable? What others should I be considering?

My main use would be for family stuff etc, although I would probably use it for filming some judo competitions. At these competitions I can probably film from the mat side so the low optical zoom (10x on the sony) is probably not a major issue. However, are there any models of similar quality (at a similar price) with stronger optical zoom that I should be considering?

Thanks a lot for the help and wisdom!

Dave

2. shard

shard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm in the same boat, looking at the jvc gr-d73 myself, I'd avoid
    the canon mv700 series if its anything like the mv600 series. Very audible
    motor noise on the tape and worse than my old 8mm camcorder
    quality wise indoors

3. shard

shard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I went for the panasonic 120 in the end. I've tried it indoors/outdoors,
    in poor light, etc and I have no problems. Well, there was a lot of wind sound outdoors but theres an external microphone provided (which I haven't used
    yet) so I don't expect that to be a problem.
    My first experience was of the canon MV600i. It was so bad I had to
    send it back, oddily enough a friend saw the footage yesterday and couldn't believe it was from a modern camcorder, it was practically greyscale in
    lowlight and stupidly grainy.
    The picture quality is fantastic, the colours are really vibrant. Low light
    qaulity is fine, you can tell when the image stabalizer kicks in. Theres no motor noise (the canon's was atrocious).
    Overall I would say that if like me you had issues with motor noise and low light performance get it and you won't be disappointed. The main reason I
    wanted one was to film my 18 month year old daughter indoors (and outdoors)
    so low light ability was a must have for me and this has done the job well.