1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

That £18 import thing

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Mugged, Apr 24, 2003.

1. Mugged

Mugged
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  2. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What rotten bounders Gameplay are :mad:

3. dataloss

dataloss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    well looks like we all will be paying £25 a DVD in HMV directly then I'm sure the wonderful goverment with the publics interests at heart *Note: Saracasim* would love to wring some more tax out of us british public the.... :mad:

4. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wouldn't be so pessimistic. This smacks of a dinosaur company trying to change the world around them rather than trying to change themselves. If they can't compete, why not move offshore and do as others do? That would make them leaner, more adaptable, and more competitive. But no, when all else fails, they seek to blame others. What poor, poor leadership that company must have.

Clearly they must be desperate to pull this sort of stunt, so let's hope this campaign bankrupts them :D

Although this allowance clearly applies to non-EU imports, it's worth remembering that we have already paid VAT on EU goods that we import. To remove the allowance would also have implications for EU imports and our moving through the "Nothing to Declare channels" when we travel within Europe. So I can't see it happening, it would be a complete step backwards. It has also been posited that the government are unlikely to have interest in removing the £18 'allowance' because it would cost them more to set up and maintain the infrastructure to collect this than they would make in the collected duties.

I for one am not worried, but Gameplay have done their image no good at all and 'boo' to them for even suggesting this.

5. dataloss

dataloss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I know that Sony Music and co are trying to bring up a lawsuit on CD-Wow for selling their CD's from HK at low prices... as far as I know Gameplay sprung up from British Telecom roots years ago so no surprise they want to monopolis that said they just can't compete with the prices that Play and Gamesplanet are offering so they as you say kick up a stink like a spoilt little child...

6. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A spoilt child is a great analogy! :D

The thing with CD-WOW is different as it's primarily to do with distribution rights in various countries :)

7. flat spot

flat spot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34

Yeah, Boo you gameplay, but I can see it from their point aswell. But BOOOOO anyway....:nono: :thumbsdow

8. flat spot

flat spot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    BOOOOOOO

9. njiri

njiri
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gameplay started out as a software reseller in Bradford about 7 or 8 years ago. They always had ads in computer shopper and other computing mags. The owner then sold out for mega-bucks at the top of the internet company boom...... clever chap. I can't remember who took them over though, might have been BT.

10. spidermanalf

spidermanalf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    Gameplay did start off in Bradford (in a bed sit), the guy sold out to BT, who also bought Jakarta (part of Dixons) which then stopped selling in the high street and went on line and down hill!!

This trick they are doing now is just sweaty bums!!!

11. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Although I've only bought 1 game from Gameplay this year, they just made my boycott list thanks to their petty actions. (right up there with econo-save :D )

12. bh

bh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    One aspect of the whole issue is the fiscal status of the Channel Islands. Play might have been set up in Jersey by local residents who are (in a sense) exporting outside their fiscal zone. In these circumstances, Gameplay can't rightly claim that the company is offshore (connoting relocation for fiscal purposes).

13. Lux

Lux
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    very good point bh.
    yet the increase in number of shops on the channel islands during the last few years probably is due to offshore relocation. (except for splashdvd and play who were there right from the start AFAIK)