Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Thanks to the DMREH60D reviewers

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by bjj, Oct 20, 2005.

1. bjj

bjj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been waiting a long time for someone to offer a Freeview+HDD+DVD recorder and I have read with interest the various discussions on this forum.

Thanks to the informative reviews by Rasczak and HelenS I picked up a Panasonic DMREH60D a few days ago and am very happy with it.

I will post more about it once I have had a time to play properly but I just had to post (and register) to pass on my thanks.

In the meantime, just a few short comments:

I got mine from Richer Sounds for £399.95 but in the last day it appears to have disappeared from their site - I guess stock is tight. I took out their Supercare 3 year extended warranty for £59.95 as you can claim a full refund at the end of the term if no claim is made, plus you get a loan machine if yours needs repairing.

My main concern before buying it was over fan+HDD noise but it is whisper quiet.

As others have said, the programme guide is nothing fancy and a bit sluggish, but comapred with hassle of programming a decoder and recorder that I used to put up with, I am more than willing to accept this.

Timer mode put me off a bit, but it is really not that intrusive as it will automatically switch itself over a minute or so before recording is due to start.

Recorded picture quality is staggeringly good: I had expected to be using XP (highest quality) recording mode for everything as you can't go back and re-record if artifacts or glitches show up, but I've found that I'm using SP (next level down) most of the time.

Editing seems simple but inutitive and the menus in general are well laid out and easy to navigate around.

All in all, I am very happy with the machine and the price, and at having a single remote control for recording, DVD playback, Freeview & TV duties.

2. northerner100

northerner100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree, just got mine yesterday and am very pleased. Just managed to sus it in time for recording Lost on E4, used SP also, couldn't tell the difference between that and XP...

3. HelenS

HelenS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Glad you both like it and to have been of help. It and its non-HDD sibling the ES20D are currently unique in being able to receive and record analogue TV as well as Freeview "as they come" and they are very easy to "drive" too - this comes by leaving off some of the tweakable settings that Sony and in particular Pioneer and Toshiba have, I suppose, but I haven't needed those particular features myself.

4. willsy2

willsy2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Just installed mine today. Haven't fully got to grips with it yet, but seems fairly easy to use. I've only tried a couple of 'trial' recordings and have just ordered a DVD-Ram compatible DVD Writer as i want to archive certain recordings. Can anyone advise what format DVD-Ram recordings are? i.e. Mpeg, Vob. etc,
    Cheers
    Colin