1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thanks to everyone who posts here (Sony KV28LS35S-related)

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Andrew McP, Sep 19, 2002.

1. Andrew McP

Andrew McP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I think I mean thanks anyway :) My KV-28LS35S arrived about 2 hours ago and seems <touch wood> to work perfectly out of the box. Whether my back will ever work perfectly again after lifting it solo onto my (very strong) home made stan... <smash!> er, pile of matchsticks is another matter ;)

Anyway, it's taken me about 3 months to finally order a TV. I've spent *ages* reading through this forum, and Googling my little heart out. And I've wasted more hours studying more vendor sites in that time than... well, than I've spent watching TV!

I always leant towards a Sony (even more so after lifting one ;)) because I've been very happy with the Sony 14" I've had for seven years. Great little Trinitron telly, and I've been a fan of Trinitron-style monitors for just as long.

But I never realised what a pain in the wossit choosing a TV can be! In Comet they all tend to look ropey as hell, *but* I did sort of fall in love with the 28LS35 because... er <blush> because of the wonderfully damped way the little pop out panel on the RHS pops out. Typical bit of Sony design :)

Sad but true.

Well, much soul searching and two attempts to buy one later (Comet online said they weren't getting any more... still advertising it six weeks later! And electricaldiscountuk.co.uk had a good deal including 3 year gtee, but no stock when I cracked again a week later) I gave up on the Sony and decided to save some money and get a Philips 28PW6006... good price and well reviewed, and flatscreen wasn't a huge issue.

Then, earlier this week, I saw Empiredirect's website said they had Sonys in stock and... the rest is history. £526ish later I have a TV which is definitely worth the £200 more it cost than the Sharp I nearly bought from work. The flat screen is worth it alone... and the wonderfully articulated side panel, obviously ;)

Anyway, sorry to waste bandwidth, but thanks to everyone who's helped confuse and inform me while I did my research. I'll probably be back in a few days when I notice my TV's actually rubbish and I've been had! (This set's definitely been opened before).

Cheers everyone,
    Andrew

PS When I saw the way the Amtrak man unloaded the TV onto his trolley I nearly fainted! "Don't worry" he said when I went out to help, "they're really well packed inside these boxes."

Be afraid, be very afraid! Especially as when I opened said box the polystyrene corners had moved well out of place at some point, and showed signs of multiple impacts.

Which reminds me, must phone Barclaycard and get the standard 1 year guarantee extended to 2 pronto! :)

PPS At risk of preaching to the converted, I just glanced round at the TV and was amazed at how big and impressive it looks, even at 'only' 28". Makes a far bigger, and more impressive impact in my little living room than in any showroom. I almost bought a 21" 4:3 set instead, but I'm glad I didn't.

Mmm... maybe I should've bought the 32"? Hehe, probably a good job I didn't... I'd still be kneeling on the floor with a TV on my lap going blue in the face :)

2. smallman28

smallman28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I suspect I had the last one from discounttv.co.uk.
    I managed to get it for £495,price matched against someone else and all seemed fine,then the day before delivery I was told it wouldn't be in its original box as that was damaged and they would repackage it in a different one.
    I said to them thats fine as long as its not the display one,no they said it was just the original box was a bit tatty and they wanted to make sure it was alright before sending it.
    They said the instructions etc were all still sealed in the packaging along with the remote and batteries etc.
    When I got it there was virtually no packing in the box, and the remote/batteries and insructions were indeed packaged as they said but there were already batteries in the remote,and upon connecting the set,the channels,although not tuned to my local transmitter,all displayed the relevant info,1 BBC1,2 BBC2 etc.
    I have to say I have no REAL proof and even if it was the last one its the best condition ex-display I have ever seen and must have been kept in a totally dust free enviroment,so I am happy!
    Just wait till you start really watching some stuff on it and begin to notice things not looking quite straight,horizontal and vertical lines being the real culprits to bring it to your attention,I spent the best part of 4 days on and off tweaking settings in the service menus!

3. Andrew McP

Andrew McP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did have sealed batteries/remote/etc, but the TV itself wasn't well wrapped... though maybe that's the way they usually come.

Either way I was happy last night, and have no problem with the picture geometry (so far :)) as it stands. But this morning the first thing I noticed when I switched it on after work was a high pitched transformer type whistle that I was oblivious to last night. Ok, all TV's make *some* noise, and it may be that I'm just lucky enough to have good high pitched hearing. But at the moment it's bugging me. If it continues I guess I can try some gentle jiggling/repositioning, then it's maybe time to get an engineer to take a look at it.

Knew *something* had to be a problem! :)

4. chegz60

chegz60

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was after the Sony LS35 but like you found it always out of stock.
    I've had my Philips 28PW6515 for about a month now and still reckon it is the best value set around.

That or I just got a gooden! :p

5. Andrew McP

Andrew McP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When I was contemplating a 28PW6006 I noticed your comments and considered a 6515, but saw enough negative comments that I got an attack of the nervous nellies.

It really does seem to be a personal lottery this TV-purchasing lark... makes buying PC kit seems like a complete doddle!

I did wonder if the Sony was/is about to be discontinued though, seems to be being promoted but not stocked in a lot of places. The only place I could always find some was the John Lewis site, but £650 with just a 1 year gtee explains that!

6. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Isn't there an hours run counter within the service menu ?

7. Andrew McP

Andrew McP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If there is I'd be interested in getting into my LS35's service menu. Anyone have the correct secret handshake?