1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thanks to Chris Frost...

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Paul D, Jun 7, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    I would just like to thank Chris Frost for taking the time to visit my "Home Cinema".
    He gave me some great advice. I am a novice compaired to Chris and it was fantastic to see somebody adjusting things who knows what he is doing!.
    He answered many many of my questions with patience. But left leaving me with many more!.
    We tested the Iscan Pro and he was able to easily show the advantages of progressive scan. Now i don't know if to go for my screen first or the Iscan!. Thanks Chris!.
    Chris pointed out that the gamma levels in s/video Pal on my Sony vw10 are to high, so i feel a visit by Gordon (ISF training) Fraser may be on the cards.
    I have got many months of fun ahead as i feel i have got the basics, and now i can concentrate on getting the best out of it.

The wife still wants the bathroom doing first but i'am hoping to still be able to afford the Iscan as well!.
    I feel the benefits of the Iscan will be even more apparent when using it on a day to day basis especially with digi cable, rather than on a demo etc.
    Paul...

2. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Thanks Paul for your hospitality and those kind words.

To anyone who has checked out the photos of Pauls cinema room http://uk.photos.yahoo.com/fulabeer I can confirm it looks better in real life. It is a credit to you.

Hope you don't have too many sleepless nights trying to decide between a screen and an iScan.

Regards

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,788
    Chris is the man!

I must embarrass him now by saying that he is one of the best reps we get to see. Someone who knows what he's talking about and who genuinely cares about the products he sells.

Paul: I've actually been playing with a couple of VPL10's the last couple of days. We sold our dem one month ago in preparation for forthcoming units from other manufacturers but we borrowed one from a friends shop and we had a new one in for an install so I took the time to measure each's LOW temp setting to see how they tracked and if they were the same.

They were very linear. nice flat line. Except there was around 500K difference between the two. One being 7000-6800K and the other lower. Now, this is actually very quite good but I decided to just calibrate the Custom1 setting of the high one down to D65 and see if it still stayed flat or what would happen.

I should point out though that even though both were at a close to correct temperature they exhibited large colour shifts (well, large to me) across the screen. ie At 90ire you'd get pink at the extremes of the screen width. At 50ire you might get the same effect only green..... This is the gamma problem that Chris is talking about.

After claibration I sat looking at the pluge and it just looked weird to me. I couldn't believe it was right. However, I called in one of the other guys and we did the dem. WOW.... Looked better to me. Looked alot better to the other party....

I didn't have time to do the 3D gamma thing on that unit (I'd guess around a full day maybe more), not only that they weren't paying. If I did I'm sure I could have got rid of all the colour shifts at the side of the screen.

Tomorrow I'll look at the service/service menu again and work out how long to do it.... I might even have a go...depends on how busy I am.

All the best,

Gordon
    Convergent A/V
    ISF Calibrations

[ 07-06-2001: Message edited by: Gordon, StereoStereo ]

4. Black 5

Black 5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Gordon,

Have you by any chance been following Steve Smallcombe's thread over at thebigpicturedvd forum. He has done what sounds like some fascinating work on the 3D gamma settings - can't say I understand it that well myself, but for those who've had the patience they seem to have been well rewarded. Fancy a trip to the Isle of Man to set mine up? :)

5. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,788
    Black: No I don't actually read that forum. I did for a while but lost track of it. I think because ti was very focused and seemed to have lots of folk who weren't openminded.

Every so often I pop back to garner some info though. Could I be really impertinent and ask you email me or post a link to the thread in question. I'll go and have a look.

As for doing yours in Isle of Man.... I'm going to start offering ISF calibration service very soon. I would think though that to keep costs sensible it might be appropriate to find other projector owners in your local. Otherwise it's going to be expensive I guess. I am, of course, happy to travel about. The colour analyser I have is only cabable of being used with VPL10ht's and CRT based devices at present. I am awaiting updates from manufacturer for Seleco HT200 capability as well.

I am also going to experiment with our dem PLV30 and see how I get on. This will require a different method though.

Look forward to the link.

All the best,

Gordon
    ISF calibration
    Convergent A/V

P.S. Sorry for hi-jacking the thread. This is my last post here. Lets start a new one for further discourse about this .

[ 08-06-2001: Message edited by: Gordon, StereoStereo ]

6. Paul O Hale

Paul O Hale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gordon
    If it's the CA-1 you're using then there are a couple of other files available that are very close to the HT200 spectrum that work very well, as to the pink on the 10HT...yeah that can really cause a panic :)

Paul

7. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,788
    Paul,

Yip it's a CA-1. Cliff expects to havereall HT200 target files soon.

Thanks for the tip though.

Gordon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.