Thanks and first problems....

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Gordon @ Convergent AV, May 5, 2002.

1. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,042
    First I need to thank John Ad and Jeff. I couldn't have got it alive without Jeff on the end of the phone....

It is working sort of as we speak. This is being typed on a 5.5 ft wide screen...What a laugh sticking the bits together...All I can say is don't try using a Zalman Flower cooler in a midi tower case....luckily it's all going to be decanted back in to a desktop once it's all working.

However....

MAUDIO 24/96 is the card of choice. All seems to be configured as it should be yet I get no sound out the spdif when playing anything...not even a windows sound effect..... I'm not trying to play DVD's until the TT player turns up and I haven't gone to get Dscaler to see what TV looks like yet either. Just want to get auudio running first...the bit I thought would be easy!

Help!!!!

Where should I look?

Pics to follow

Gordon

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh, another obvious thing, I assume the soundcard is listed in the device manager and it says it's working ok ie. no ! next to it or anything?

Andy.

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,042
    I have used Digital Connections recommended driver..it loaded and said device was working OK...

It's the selected device for multimedia etc...

When I get its properties up and am playing a disc I can see the little meters jumping up and down....I suppose I should check whether I have any analogue outputs as well...Tired now though.

Can anyone tell me what drivers they are using with this thing?

Spec is Celeron 1.3, ATIradeon 7500, WinXPpro....

Cheers,

Gordon

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are you playing a CD? I didn't get any sound from CDs until I used Winamp and installed that plugin I mentioned earlier. Certainly windows media player didn't give me any sound through spdif and probably still doesn't but I haven't tried it to be honest. It's bloody annoying when something like this happens isn't it but the sense of satisfaction when it does start working is worth it so hang in there!

Cheers
    Andy

6. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,042
    Andy,

I've been re-reading Cliff Notes over at DC and think I know where problem lies. according to Maudio the Windows Media Player is supported by the drivers....anyway it seems you need to go to

"Please note that after installation of the M-Audio driver, you must choose the Delta S/PDIF as the output device in Control Panel>Multimedia>Audio (Win98) or Control Panel>Sounds>Audio (WinME) before Windows will recognize the Delta as your digital sound source. "

It's off for the eveing now as Melanie is watching French elections so my monitor is in use......I will continue tomorrow. So expect all the grief about the other cards then!

I'll do a wee article about how it went together and what went wrong and how it was solved. Already feeling pretty good it's not blown up!!! hahaha

Gordon

7. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    One of the most common causes of no sound is simply due to the Volume Control properties in Windows. First of all, check that nothing is on "Mute". Then bring up the "Advanced" Volume Control properties. This should bring up various source meters, two of which should be SPDIF and CD Digital (you may need to add them using the checkboxes under Options---->Properties).
    Check that these are not Muted. Also, you may need to Mute Wave Balance/Midi Balance when unmuting CD Digital & SPDIF. It's also a good idea to Mute the mic output.

8. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Gordon, I had this first off too.

Are you seeing the VU meters for the SPDIF output move?

Check the default sound output for you chosen DVD player is maudio SPDIF out.

Alternatively, I think you can set the monitor mixer settings, but I'm not sure if that then puts the volume control into the SPDIF output.

cheers,
    Rob.

9. Mark Grant

Mark Grant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Hello Gordon,

Did you get the beastie working yet?

Mark.

10. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,042
    Mark,

Sound is working now. As I had surmised I had not set up windows properly for the sound card. I had chosen MAUDIO24/96 rather than the correct MAUDIOspdif......

I have the recommended ATI drivers installed now for the video card and have an excellent picture from DVD with the exception of judder, which I'll sort out with refresh rates later. I also have an iffy picture from capture card (well, iffy in my eyes but not perhaps in others). This is an issue with the capture card set up parameters and earthing.

Gordon

11. Ken

Ken

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
  12. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,042
    Ken: Thanks for thinking of me but I am already using Dscaler...and John Ad (AKA John Adcock) one of the authors of Dscaler has been kindly answering my phone calls on a Sunday afternoon to help get it working.....

Gordon

13. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Gordon,
    Have you found the SMPTE auto calibration in DScaler? I used it once and it worked well for me.

Mind you, on reflection, I'm I'm sure you have a colour meter for that if you really wanted it right!

I have been really missing it, trying to get a proper calibration for the btWDMcapture drivers for the IDS Falcon. At the moment, I did it by eye and have used PowerDVD screen capture BMP's to compare the Video Essentials reference to several test captures.

Rob.

14. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,042
    The auto calibration bit is for the capture card not the display card. It works out what the settings should be for video coming in by measuring the signal against the reference figures it is expecting....or so I am told.

Even if it did this perfectly the output signal may not be correct and there is in no way a guarantee the greyscale will be accurate as this is also a function of how the projector or display device itself is set up.

In my case, using the chapters from AVIA for brightness, contrast and colour and the auto feature it managed to make things look really, really crap. I'm going to try and look in to this further on Monday.

Gordon

15. JohnAd

JohnAd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Gordon

How have you got the overlay settings set up?

These should be the same as what you're using for DVD, also try turning Full Luma range off in advanced settings.

John

16. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    This is the same problem I hit with calibrating the Falcon for a capture driver. Things looked perfect in VirtualDub.

The final DVD looked too bright. I now realise is was because the DVD players load a custom overlay setting, for which the projector is (used to be!) calibrated for.

Rob.

17. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,042
    John,

TT loads its own overlay settings for DVD playback. Adjusting the ATI overlay doiesn't seem to have any effect on DVD playback (although I haven't really checked due to lack of time) but does on Dscalers which seems to be itterative with its own overlay settings....

Gordon

18. JohnAd

JohnAd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Gordon

You should change the default overlay setting to be the same as when set by TT.

Try the following

1) Run up DVD using TT
    2) go into control panel/display/advanced/Overlay settings and see what settings are reported.
    3) Close TT
    4) Start DScaler
    5) go into control panel/display/advanced/Overlay settings and change to what is reported in 2

John

19. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Gordon: Where'd you get your Flower from? Seems a pretty essential bit of sound proofing kit.

I'll have my HCPC running by next weekend, so I'll be trying the XiVA idea as soon as poss!:)

20. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,209
    quietpc.com is the place for the flower however be sure to check out toms hardware for reviews on alternative quiet coolers : the flower doesn't rate all that highly and some of the cheaper options out perform it in cooling and quietness.

I have one myself and it seems to work well and is nice and quiet ( read my thread on HTPC build) bit of a bugger to install but I think I was unlucky.

21. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I've gone for a cheapy Speeze 5T208B1H3T!

£15, and it's meant to be quite quiet as well.

We shall see.