1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thank you

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Crivens, May 14, 2005.

1. Crivens

Crivens

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just thought I'd say thanks for the help, advice, reviews, etc. that has helped me buy and setup my home projector. Fantastic forum that sorts you out.

In the end I bought a HS50 from DiscountTv.co.uk. Good price, pixel check, and arrived within 3 days (ordered on bank holiday too). Tops. Got a manual 231x130 screen from DRH which nicely arrived on a saturday (phone them up to do special delivery for £20 more) with brackets to go over my curtain. Also got a universal Vogel ceiling mount from AVRabbit. All top stuff, with no problems, and all arriving within only a few days.

Wasn't all fun though. Living room has been a disaster zone for like a week after my wall wouldn't hold the screen :( and there was really *nowhere* for it to go elsewhere :eek: Eventually with a bit of effort and a lot of devices from DIY stores, it's up now. :)

Just today (a week and a half after getting projector) I managed to get it into the ceiling and working on the screen rather than the radiator :rolleyes: (mainly because of seriously dark red walls). Very nice. Even with sun outside and curtains open. I'm not used to projectors (only really seen my friends AE100) so I was very happy with the quality considering the conditions and what people have said here with the HS50.

Couple of questions mind. Currently the screen looks fine, but the image was leaning to one side. Seen this on monitors before, so looked in manual then started adjusting the V-Keystone until it was straight. This was fine on the left hand side, but the right side was still slanting and the bottom of the screen moves a little down to the right, whereas the top of the screen is fine. This is not exactly a major problem as I can just move it slightly off screen so you can't notice, but anyone know of a fix for this?

Another question is I know my DVD player is a little naff. It routinely looks fine on the DVD menu, then shows serious black bars at the top and bottom of the screen. It goes through an S-Video connection and I had the same problem on my widescreen TV. And zoom mode does a pretty good job of getting most of the screen full up. But cannot seem to adjust it so the whole of the screen is used. Any advise on best settings/ methods to use?

Another minor gripe is the power cord. It's 2m long, but do projector makers not realise how far away the DVD is sometimes? I've looked around and the answer seems to be manually creating your own long cord! Is this 100% sure? Nowhere sells a decent size? Otherwise it's going to be extension horribleness thanks to my inadequate DIY skills.

Oh, and the other thing is with the screen. I really really really can't get the f**king thing back up. No problems with the screen apart from that. It's great. Can't recommend enough. But can't get it up :rolleyes: Luckily my lodger can, and she says it's all all in the wrist (thought I would be a master then :rolleyes: ), but cannot explain how. Annoyingly it's right over the front door, and she's gone swimming. So no projector till she gets back, or I work out how to do it. Anyone???????

Apart from those minor problems though, I think it's great! Time to plan a 5 film Star Wars evening before watching Episode 3 on Sunday methinks :clap:

Cheers

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,955
    The projector isn't level to the screen in either direction by the sounds of it. You should be able to get a perfectly square image without using keystone.

The image sloping off to the bottom right is because you have the projector to the left of center relative to the screen - if the pj lens is closer to one side of the screen than the other, the image will be smaller that side. You have to physically move the pj to the right and then realign it with the screen. I had this with my very first pj and moving it about an inch to one side cured the problem.

The black bars are meant to be there - you can get more than one aspect ratio, and your screen is 16:9, so anything smaller such as 2.35:1 will have black bars. In the cinema, they have constant height, variable width - hence the curtains that move when the main movie comes on - it's in Cinemascope. Cinemas have fixed height but variable width, so the curtains move to accomadate the various ratios. At home, we have a fixed width, so the image we project have to change height depending on the ratio. If you zoom into the image to fill the screen, you're losing picture information from the sides and aren't seeing it as the director intended. It's like they left the curtains partialy shut at the cinema.

Yup, you will have to get some cable and connect a plug and IEC connector to it. I use right angle IECs as they look nicer than those that come 'straight out' IMHO.

This could be a boon in disguise. Marry her. ;)

I would get her to teach me the technique and just make sure you don't suffer from premature projection. Failing that, is there a back door or a window you could leave open??

Great idea and exactly what home cinema is all about!

Gary.

3. Crivens

Crivens

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thamks for the advice. The projector was actually slighly turned to the left. Straightened it out, applied a little keystone, and is pretty much correct. Much like monitors that are never 100%. Perfectly fine thoufgh.

Yeah I could brick up the door and always go out the back :)

Just watched a film (some boring japanese sci-fi film I rented) and was most impressed. Annoyingly she had a headache and couldn't have full whack dolby digital experience. Still ace. Really dull up their own ar*e film though.

LOL, premature projection... arf.

Cheers

4. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a thought here but why not use the lens shift rather than keystone correction ?

5. Crivens

Crivens

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Because it just moves it around. The shape was wrong.

Cheers