Thailand - Talk to me...

• Thread starter Deleted member 134693
  • Start date

Deleted member 134693

Reaction score
Hello,

Looking at booking up to go away to Thailand at the back end of the year. (Early/Mid November)

Looks a stunning place and the prices seem superb.

We'd look at booking flights / accom ourselves.

Ideally looking at 10 - 14 days in Thailand depending on peoples suggestions. May possibly finish off with a 3 day stay in Singapore as there's a hotel I really want to stay at for a few nights.

We'd look at flying to Bangkok so that'd be our first port of call...

Ideally like to mix it up with a few days exploring - a few days just relaxing.

I really like the look of Phi Phi but not sure if there's anywhere better to stay.

We've had a quick look and considered...

3 nights Bangkok
3 nights Phuket
3 nights Krabi
4 nights Phi Phi

Boat from Phuket to Krabi and Phi Phi.

Open to any suggestions / tips / thoughts. No hostels please for accommodation recommendations. :confused:

Thanks
Mark

Should be a decent time. Rainy season should have finished by then and it's just before the peak xmas time.

I'm off to Thailand again for my 3rd time in April. Love the place.

I've got about 14 days and was thinking whether to go to 2 or 3 places.

My initial reaction to your post was 4 places in 14 days :eek:

As soon as you've settled, you'll be moving on again :D

Went to Maya Bay (The Beach) once when i was based in Phuket. By speedboat. Jesus, those waves and a fast boat make for an interesting ride:D

Think that's (Maya) on one of the Phi Phi islands. Was only a day trip mind and there wasn't much more around (that Beach).

Would defo recommend hanging around Bangkok for a couple of days. I've stayed in 2-3 hotels there but nothing worth mentioning as i was on a budget at the time. Did a bicycle tour of the city once. Good fun:D

Stayed in the Kattathani Hotel on Phuket back in 2010. Back then, it was the nicest hotel i'd ever been in. Right on a quiet beach (decent but not spectacular). Currents/Waves can be a little strong.

2012 I was on a budget again so lesser digs.

90 days and i'll be landing in Bangkok:clap:

The first time I went to Thailand I spent 3 nights in Bangkok, 2nd time I spent 5 nights and the last 2 times spent 7 nights. A great city to be in.
A day on the river boats jumping on and off onto the different piers gives great access to the sights. Shopping is amazing, fantastic city centre malls all next to each other. We did a lot of walking and felt safe, even though there were all the demonstrations. Very friendly people.
I have been to Pattaya and Phuket. Didn't like either of the centres (too sleazy) in both but the hotels are fantastic. Our hotel in Phuket was just brilliant (Avista Hideaway). We went on a boat trip by '2 Sea Tours'. Highly recommend as they do their own thing away from the biggest boats. That means you get to see things they don't. A full day and we'll worth it (James Bond Island being the obvious one). They even pick you up at your hotel and drive you the hour or so to the dock. I'd say you do either that area of Islands or Phi Phi. To do both would be too similar.
As you say, the hotels prices are great, especially given the quality of them. We always use Hotels.com, even better prices and you get free nights saved up.
That's are extremely friendly, no matter where you go it's always courteous with smiles everywhere.

An alternate or add on while you are in the Phuket/Krabi/Phi Phi area is Koh Racha. This island us south of Phuket and west of Phi Phi. We stayed at the Koh Racha resort and it is stunning. Without doubt one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in and Ive been lucky enough to stay in a few. It has some of the best diving in Asia too mind you we just snorkelled off the beach and that was great.

Phi Phi is mega crowded and you might just want to do a day trip.

Thanks for the replies so far, much appreciated and the type of valuable info I'm after.

So Bangkok is definitely on the list - Is 3 nights really enough to get a decent experience?

Is Phuket worth a visit? It seemed like an ideal 'stepping stone' from Bangkok to visit some of the small islands?

Spoke to the wife earlier and we might re-consider staying at 2 beach places and just stick to the one - still yet to be decided but will certainly look at Koh Racha. Is it easy to Island hop if we did want to have a look at some of the other Islands?

Also whats the food like out there?

Thanks again
Mark

Never had any problems (dodgy stomach) with the food out there.

You have pretty much eat what you want is the major places.

When I first went and stayed at the nice hotel (Phuket), it had about 4 restaurants (all great) that we ate at for the first 4 nights. Expensive mind (UK prices).

Then, wising up a little, we headed out found a few local restaurants. Some of them looked very plain. Bog standard chairs etc. The food was fab though. And, all 3 of us ate and the bill was still less than the bill for 1 of us in the Hotel.:facepalm::D

Think I paid about £3 at the time for these 2. Yummy:)

40887_443077032529_3559918_n.jpg

Maya Bay (The Beach) - Day tour from Phuket
65934_443085292529_4833081_n.jpg

I'd just do phi phi as a day trip rather stay over. Not much there and a bit of a tourist trap. Phuket is great and patong is not as bad as it's made out, the strip bars tend to be down one road/area, not that I'd know ;) Been to Thailand and few times always during the end of October, most times the weather has been great but have had rain continously for 10 days. If you book 4/5* hotels you'll be treated like a king.

Last edited:
I have been there a few times over the years and generally stay in Bangkok and tend to venture North. We actually cycled from Bangkok to Ayutthaya (the old capital). Love the place, the food and the people. I can't comment on the beaches because I find beach holidays dull however friends have sometimes complained about the Islands etc being a lot more touristy.

Phuket Marriott Resort & Spa, Merlin Beach

Worth a look if you end up in phuket. On the next bay around from patong so away from the hustle and bustle of the main town but only 5 mins in a taxi away. Super swimming pools. See its changed hands and just been renovated since we went a few years back.

As advised you can do PP tour from Phuket, maybe even Krabi.
Pic attached is from PP Don and that is basically all to see there.

If you into diving I can recommend Ko Tao.

Koh Phangan better than Phuket imo, esp if you dont' like it too touristy.

Attachments

• DSC07392.JPG
    6.5 MB · Views: 98
Last edited:
I'd recommend Siem Reap in Cambodia if you into Temples for 3-4 days. Flights are in general very cheap around se asia.
I also found people much warmer in Cambodia.

I've just booked my first trip to a Thailand for next April. Going to Bang Tao Beach, 4 star, bed & breakfast only. Going with two young daughters. Anyone been here and offer any tips? Bit apprehensive after doing 5 star all inclusive Caribbean holidays, which are all spotlessly clean, fancy a la carte restaurants, animation teams, etc. I want the children to experience something different though. Worried they (and the wife) will not like the seafood markets, food stalls, noise, smells, etc. I think I have institutionalised them a bit!
Any tips on how to make it enjoyable for the wife and kids? The wife doesn't even eat seafood!

Last edited:
Get a jeep, drive around finding waterfalls and swim in them. Do some diving/snorkelling. Make the wife eat seafood!

A jeep isn't really suitable with two young daughters. I doubt they would have car seats! I also hear drivers in Thailand are pretty crazy.

Last edited:
Well I never had any accidents and have been there many times. Just take your time when driving which you would anyway if you had your kids with you. You might need to take your car seats with you, that's what I did last time I went on holiday and rented a car.

I've never hired a car/bike when i've been in Thailand.

I've mostly been in fairly busy areas though where the traffic/driving etiquette is :eek:

I guess if you're out in the sticks a bit, it's not so different from anywhere else.

April will be hot. Though, being on an Island it'll be more bearable than the mainland. Was closing in on 40c when I was over there in April. Phuket was a more pleasant 30 ish and high 20's at night.

Still, take plenty of factor 30-50 anyway:D

You've missed out then! Hiring a car or bike lets you see a hell of a lot more than just sticking around the tourist hotspots. There are plenty of amazing natural sights like waterfalls, lagoons, coast roads etc that you simply would never see if you didn't have transport. Most are very quiet as the average holiday maker doesn't make the effort. Well worth doing though.

I'll think about it for my next trip.:D

Just booked my flight for November :clap::clap:

Great Domtheone, what place will you visit this time around?
I loved Koh Chang and Koh Pha Ngan. Phuket doesn't really sound appealing to me.
What's your absolute favourite place over there?

Watch out for snakes. Do not annoy their face with your hand. Don't joke by putting them down your friend's trousers.

Don't pick up the centipedes.

Don't doodle on the King's face on bank notes.

Only hire water sports vehicles & gear etc, maybe even mopeds, from the hotel or really really trustworthy places ( I don't know how that's measured ), NOT rental huts on the beach. If you want to avoid "damage" scams.

I heard about the 'damage scams' too. They would make the tires on scooters a bit too soft so you will easily fall and then they'll charge you a lot for the damage.

I'll think about it for my next trip.:D

Just booked my flight for November :clap::clap:

We're flying out to Thailand too in November - 6th November with Thai Airways from Heathrow!

Good choice. :thumbsup:

Flew with them for my one and only time when i visited Thailand for the first time back in 2010.

Very nice airline. Assuming they're using new planes now, it'll be great. Well as great as an 11 hour flight can be.

I debated for several days on flying direct (LHR) or from Birmingham (local) via Dubai (Emirates).

In the end I opted for Emirates (Nov 3rd) £50 cheaper + no going to London so really £100 cheaper) as I have an Emirates air miles account now.

If I fly with them 1/2 times a year for the next decade, I might qualify for an upgrade:facepalm::rolleyes::D

Great Domtheone, what place will you visit this time around?
I loved Koh Chang and Koh Pha Ngan. Phuket doesn't really sound appealing to me.
What's your absolute favourite place over there?

Don't really have a fave. Only generally been to BKK, Phuket, Chiang Mai and Pattaya (for the golf:devil::D)

I do like BKK though. As far as capital cites go. Just for a few days each visit. Phuket is ok. Too touristy of course but hey ho. Chiang Mai was nice. Scorching hot in April mind (40c+). Lot more laid back than the likes of Phuket and, prettier too.

I'm hoping to get some extended time off work in a year or 2. Maybe spend 2-3 months there when I can travel around a lot more.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom