1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TH50PHW5B vs PDP-503MXE comparison (again!)

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by ariharry, Mar 6, 2003.

1. ariharry

ariharry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Yet another thread regarding picture comparisons of the Panny and Pioneer.

I've just ordered an 503MXE, but having spent a significant amount of time reading through all the various threads, it seems that people on average rate the Panny above the Pioneer, therefore bringing into doubt my order.

My question is simple. For those that have seen the Pioneer and Panny side-by-side, is there a noticable difference between the two?.

Most of my viewing is in a low-light room, therefore are the so called 'blacks' of the Pioneer more like 'muddy browns'?.

Secondly, according to the Panny specs, it is capable of displaying 2048 grey scales when using the DVI input, however the Pioneer can only display 832 grey scales. This alone you could argue proves that the Panny has a greater dynamic range of colours than the Pioneer.

There are some excellent deals to be had on the Pioneer (5k), however the cheapest I've seen the Panny is 5.5k from Richer Sounds, who don't have stock (at the moment).

So is there enough justification to spend an extra £500 - £700 on the Panny?. Spec wise maybe yes?.

PS. I simply don't have the time to view the two side-by-side, therefore my reliance on this forum!. :)

2. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +282
    Hi,

Personally I'd go for the Pioneer as they have a definite route to future upgradeability - as can be seen by upcoming Aurora and Key Digital cards. The possibility of future cards for the Panasonics is somewhat less certain. Some Panasonics seem to be prone to a buzzing noise on certain panels. Some members on here have ended up swapping a buzzing Panasonic for a silent Pioneer. I don't think you will regret going for the 50" Pioneer. :smashin: Hope this helps.

Steve

3. ariharry

ariharry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks,

Having spent an unhealthy 5 hours reading through the forums, I think the Pioneer is probably the best choice (for the reasons you mention).

I've come across one site that rates the Panny higher than Pioneer:-

http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasmatvreviews/plasmatvshootout.html

Which does make me wonder :(

Bottom line, an extra £500 does not justify blacker-blacks ;)