Th50pf9uk

D

Dr EdAV

Put your mince pies on these prices for the TH50PF9UK..

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...ATH50PF9UK&is=REG&Q=&O=productlist&sku=473620

$4.5K = £2.28K

will need to factor in the £50 for a step up converter on the power front, but the rest of the panel is UK compatible (PAL 60/60Hz).

With 1 pound to every 2 dollars, it is tempting! Probably will not survive the flight back... unless you can pay extra for special handling or cabin space ?! Anyone know if you can do this? Also, are plane holds pressurised... I'm guessing that the gas filled cells of plasma will leak if put in a low pressure environment... or does it only matter if the TV is run at a low pressure environment ?

Ted

Put your mince pies on these prices for the TH50PF9UK..

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...ATH50PF9UK&is=REG&Q=&O=productlist&sku=473620

$4.5K = £2.28K

will need to factor in the £50 for a step up converter on the power front, but the rest of the panel is UK compatible (PAL 60/60Hz).

With 1 pound to every 2 dollars, it is tempting! Probably will not survive the flight back... unless you can pay extra for special handling or cabin space ?! Anyone know if you can do this? Also, are plane holds pressurised... I'm guessing that the gas filled cells of plasma will leak if put in a low pressure environment... or does it only matter if the TV is run at a low pressure environment ?

Ted

I guess that this is more a comment on how we get ripped off in this country for high end goods ?

It's also partly a comment on the cost of sales in Europe. The manufacturers are so scared of their downstream liabilities they have to jack the price up, just in case some trivial little thing goes wrong on some litigous ba*****ds screen 4-5 years down the road. In yank land, if your screen goes wrong 1 yr and 1 day after purchase, tough luck. Think on that, blame your euro MP, not rip off britain.

It's also partly a comment on the cost of sales in Europe. The manufacturers are so scared of their downstream liabilities they have to jack the price up, just in case some trivial little thing goes wrong on some litigous ba*****ds screen 4-5 years down the road. In yank land, if your screen goes wrong 1 yr and 1 day after purchase, tough luck. Think on that, blame your euro MP, not rip off britain.

Yes, European polliticians have a lot to answer for. For the time beaing I am swung by the idea of saving over 2 grand on a TV... or more to the point a 1080P (holy grain of TV's ?) coming within my budget.

Now to work out how to get it on the plane on the way back... do you think they'll let me pay for an extra seat on the return flight and put the Tv in the cabin ? I worry about it going in the hold, as it isn't pressurised ? But then again when items are imported/exported by air they must go in a hold, or are freight planes with specifically pressurised holds whillst passenger planes do not have pressurised hold ? I only ask this as I assume low pressure will severely screw up a Plasma screen as it will cause gas leak ? I dunno maybe the gas filled cells are so well sealed that leakage isn't a problem even at altitude. Its a moot point, I can't see the plasma going through security for the cabin, but I think you can pay extra to have the item go in the hold as a fragile item where it is carefully took on and off and does not go on the carrosel... anyone know ? Maybe I'll just see if B&H will ship it... but then that, means paying customs duty :thumbsdow

Ted

I think you will find that a standard baggage hold is pressurised so no problem with shipment. Although I wouldn't do it without a quality flight case....more cost.
However after shipping and duty costs and then not having any warranty, how much of a bargain will it be?

You'll pay duty, VAT and HDTV levy anyway, regardless of how you bring it in. Just cos you are carrying it yourself you can't get around this. 10% duty I think, 14% HDTV levy, and 17.5% VAT on that total of that inc purchase price of course. That's pushing 1/2 the price of the screen. Then as Herman says, no warranty at all, plus the risks in carriage. You call, naturally, but this is why nobody does it. Lots of people have noticed the price difference, but it's simply not worth it.

I would bet the biggest risk is carriage, the glas will break no question about it and from USA i could almost promise that it will happen, the plasmas are extremely fragile and need care when shipped.

I had a 50" Panny shipped from Germany, the glas was cracked all over.

As I am going for a trip to New York in April, I shal buy then. I am Flying out and coming back on a Cunard ship - a 6 day cruise to Southhampton. it works out hardly any more than flying both ways and I can take on board any thing I want... such as a plasma TV. Also customs tend not to approach disembarking passengers for any thing other than Booze allowance.

The price saving on a TV I would buy anyway, will more than pay for my Holiday to new york :clap: Heck I might even get the 65" pano whillst I'm at it ;)

Ted

Frankly, you are delusional. Do you seriously think you can walk in through UK customs with a 50" plasma box, 1600 x 1000 x 400 mm under your arm, and claim it's a 'gift' value under £200? They will lead you into a little back room and stick things up your backside, cold, nasty things, and they will laugh at you.

With 1 pound to every 2 dollars, it is tempting! Probably will not survive the flight back... unless you can pay extra for special handling or cabin space ?!
You can send it as freight (with special handling if you like) but you certainly can't take it into the cabin. But it's going to cost you. A lot.

As I am going for a trip to New York in April, I shal buy then. I am Flying out and coming back on a Cunard ship - a 6 day cruise to Southhampton. it works out hardly any more than flying both ways and I can take on board any thing I want... such as a plasma TV. Also customs tend not to approach disembarking passengers for any thing other than Booze allowance.
How many disembarking passengers carry a plasma TV with them? In fact, how are you going to carry it yourself?

The price saving on a TV I would buy anyway, will more than pay for my Holiday to new york :clap: Heck I might even get the 65" pano whillst I'm at it ;)

Ted

LOL!

Heck I might even get the 65" pano whillst I'm at it
That'll be even funnier, cos you'll have a doublehernia into the bargain. There are 3 empty 65 boxes outsude my office at the moment, I'm thinking of selling them as temporary housing. I've seen smaller flats in London.

Frankly, you are delusional. Do you seriously think you can walk in through UK customs with a 50" plasma box, 1600 x 1000 x 400 mm under your arm, and claim it's a 'gift' value under £200? They will lead you into a little back room and stick things up your backside, cold, nasty things, and they will laugh at you.

Yeah and they stick things up where the sun doesn't shine also.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom