th42px or pz?????

oldson

Standard Member
hello folks
i cant make my mind up on whether to get th px or pz 42" panny.
some on here say the difference is not worth the extra money at this screen size!?!?( for 1080p, i mean)
will be buying ps3 at later date for gaming/dvd, are they as good as dedicated blu-ray player?
anyone dealt with "lakes", in maidenhead or bracknell?
any opinions or links to relevant info would be very much appreciated:thumbsup:
cheers
oldson

aardvark007

Standard Member
hello folks
i cant make my mind up on whether to get th px or pz 42" panny.
some on here say the difference is not worth the extra money at this screen size!?!?( for 1080p, i mean)
will be buying ps3 at later date for gaming/dvd, are they as good as dedicated blu-ray player?
anyone dealt with "lakes", in maidenhead or bracknell?
any opinions or links to relevant info would be very much appreciated:thumbsup:
cheers
oldson

I am having the same issue as you. i had originally ordered a PX700CAB but after issues with supplies of the cab i have started to look around again. After reading through reviews i think i have decided that it is worth paying the extra £300 now even though i might not see the benefit now but it will future proof and not leave me regretting my £1000+ purchase in six months for the sake of the few extra hundred pounds. I went ito the local Panny shop in Exeter today and both screens PQ was about the same although when the PZ70 was displaying full HD it did look pretty stunning.

Jonstone

I am having the same issue as you. i had originally ordered a PX700CAB but after issues with supplies of the cab i have started to look around again. After reading through reviews i think i have decided that it is worth paying the extra £300 now even though i might not see the benefit now but it will future proof and not leave me regretting my £1000+ purchase in six months for the sake of the few extra hundred pounds. I went ito the local Panny shop in Exeter today and both screens PQ was about the same although when the PZ70 was displaying full HD it did look pretty stunning.

The problem with future proofing, especially with tv's atm, is that in 18 months time you will be able to pick up a 1080p tv that is considerably better than either of the two you mention for not much more than the difference in price between the two now.

I had a similar situation 18 months ago deciding between an sd panny and a 1024x720 hd one. I chose the sd one and sure enough you can now buy the 720 res one for only slightly above the difference between the two when I originally bought the sd one, the same will happen with 720 vs 1080 televisions

Panasonic themselves predict a 30 percent drop in plasma screen prices by the end of the year.

One thing it would be worth checking is overscan over hdmi, if either does it then it can be a pain and could be a reason to spend more on a screen that doesn't, but I have no idea about the specs of these two screens in that respect, maybe neither of them do it

CHFels

One thing it would be worth checking is overscan over hdmi, if either does it then it can be a pain and could be a reason to spend more on a screen that doesn't, but I have no idea about the specs of these two screens in that respect, maybe neither of them do it

The PX70 allows you to adjust overscan only in the service menus, if you are bold there are plenty of posts explaining how to do it. But it doesn't let you do 1:1 or turn off the overscan entirely, as makes sense on a 1024x768 tv!

The PZ70B allows you to turn off overscan on any 1080 input, I believe.

CHFels

Jonstone

But it doesn't let you do 1:1 or turn off the overscan entirely, as makes sense on a 1024x768 tv!

CHFels

Obviously a 1024x768 tv can't do 1:1 pixel mapping of a 1080p source, but if you can't turn off the overscan completely things like the internet browser on a PS3 for instance can be a total pain as some of the page will appear off screen. It does all depend on what you are using the screen with but overscan can be a problem

oldson

Standard Member
dont understand overscanning i'm afraid
i did get chance to see the two screens working side by side today though.
on br dvd playback i couldnt see enough improvement on the pz playing 1080p!
likewise when on sd signal the fz didnt look any worse than the px.
maybe at this screen size it is not too much of an issue?
i do understand the problem of "when to buy", i now realise the technology is changing fast, just like the pc market. the decision of "buy or wait" will probably always be there.
most of our viewing will be SD. will be getting sky soon but not the HD version as i believe it is too expensive at the moment. i will, however be buying a ps3 for games/brdvd.
i think i have decided to go for the cheaper px, after what i have seen today.
now the dilemma swings to standard or (bloody expensive) extended warranty??????
any views on that would be appreciated, but i shall probably start a new thread on the warranty subject!
thanks for your comments
Simon:thumbsup:

jetinder

In June - July 2007 all Panasonic tvs where sold with free 5 year warranty, now its to late but i've heard John Lewis have 5 year warranty on their tvs, dont know if its free or not.

aardvark007

Standard Member
dont understand overscanning i'm afraid
i did get chance to see the two screens working side by side today though.
on br dvd playback i couldnt see enough improvement on the pz playing 1080p!
likewise when on sd signal the fz didnt look any worse than the px.
maybe at this screen size it is not too much of an issue?
i do understand the problem of "when to buy", i now realise the technology is changing fast, just like the pc market. the decision of "buy or wait" will probably always be there.
most of our viewing will be SD. will be getting sky soon but not the HD version as i believe it is too expensive at the moment. i will, however be buying a ps3 for games/brdvd.
i think i have decided to go for the cheaper px, after what i have seen today.
now the dilemma swings to standard or (bloody expensive) extended warranty??????
any views on that would be appreciated, but i shall probably start a new thread on the warranty subject!
thanks for your comments
Simon:thumbsup:

Not sure where you are planning on buying the TV from but all tv's from john lewis have a free five year guarantee although the tv is usually more expensive. However if you can find a store with the tv cheaperyou can get a price match with JL and still get the fuve year guarantee free. If not Empire Direct have a deal where you can get a three year guarantee for an extra £20 and there TV's are usually priced competitively, although i tried ordering a PX700cab over two months ago so unless it states the tv is in stock don't believe the estimated delivery. Also my local Panasonic shop charges an extra £100 for three guarantee, delivery and fitting. Might be abit expensive but for peace of mind and the fact that they are local is probably worth it. That is in Exeter so it might be worth looking to see if there are any outlets near you. Anyway hope this helped.

Jason56d

A couple of weeks ago, a friend of mine saw my 42PX70PED (from JL) and decided he wanted one! I managed to get JL Watford to price match with Empire Direct (£849 I think) on the same TV, but they charged him £30 delivery on top even though I picked it up in my people carrier. Fair enough though as he got the 5 year warranty. At least you know it has been done before numerous times and the 5 years is a no brainer IMO. Just don't be fobbed off by JL as they try not to match a lot!

oldson

Standard Member
unfortunately warranties are not all the same!
i doubt the jl one is a "no quibble" replacement warranty.
the one i have been quoted is! they wont carry out repairs as apparently its not economical. (so i'm told)
the trouble is the cost!
i have been quoted £319.99 for 3yr replacement cover.
the set itself is £1199.99 (th42px70cab)
i could get this set with standard 1yr warranty for £1k, saving £400 (towards a new set should this one fail after the year)
my problem with the FREE 5yr warranties is i have read stories of people having terrible trouble getting replacements, following persistent problems and numerous repairs, and lots of time without their set because it is in for repair. i shall be studying this forum further to see if people have been generally pleased or not with warranty claims. but i guess at the end of the day its a bit of a lottery!
cheers

yetanotherbob

Don't think I've ever heard a bad word said about JL's free 5 year warranty

In fact I've read on here a few times where JL appear to have gone above and beyond what one would expect

I'm usually happy to buy from JL (with a reasonable PM :D) even if it's not the very cheapest deal obtainable for that reason

Bob

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom