1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TH42PWD8, 42PD7200 or 42PD6600

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by darnun, Oct 27, 2005.

1. darnun

darnun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Hi,

I know this is a question that must be asked all the time but I really need to get my head around this.

I have a budget of up to £1800 to spend on a Plasma. Preferably 42".

The things I have to have on it are Dsub, HDMI (for future use really), best picture quality possible, RGB Scarts, component in. I have no interest in speakers (Have sound system), or built in tuner (have Sky+) but I understand they are par for the course on a lot of models.

Now the first one I looked at was the Hitachi 42PD7200 because it seemed to have everything on it (all the connections, good contrast ratio, detachable speakers, 1024 x 1024 resolution etc etc)

Then when I look at the Hitachi 42PD6600, there seems to be only the Picture master that's different and the swivel base. I am not bothered about the base as it will be wall mounted but does the picture master on the 7200 make a massive difference to the picture compared to the 6600.??

Finally, just when I thought it would be between these two, I read a lot, on this forum, about the Panasonic TH42PWD8. I will eventually get my head around the boards you can fit in and which ones I will need but is this really a good screen.?
    What's the picture quality like. Is it better or the same as the Hitachi screens.?
    Am I right in thinking that this screen will only hold three types of connection via the boards. I am worried that I may need more than three. I will need Svideo and RGB Scart to fulfill the stuff I use at the moment but I want to also get a Component / HDMI DVD player soon.
    Is there a DSUB connection on this screen aside from the three boards.???
    And finally, does the resolution of this screen stop you from getting true full size HD.??

Sorry about all the questions but I don't want to spend up to £1800 on a 42DP7200 if the TH42PWD8 is as good but cheaper. I just thought you got what you paid for in Plasmas. So surely that makes the 42DP7200 the best bet.????

Any thoughts or commenst on these models would be greatly appreciated before I tear my hair out with confusion. ha ha

Cheers
    Darren

2. Dan L

Dan L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    I would rule out the PWD8 if HD is amongst your list of priorities. The whole connection board put me off similar screens, connectivity on the 7200 is simply awesome and was one of the contributing factors in my decision.

3. darnun

darnun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Thanks Dan,

What's the picture like on the 7200. I am really excited about DVD's and PS2 playing through whatever screen I choose.

Darren

4. Dan L

Dan L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Well I'm very happy with it, black definition is a little poor at times but it's something I can live with. Picture quality is awesome thought through everything I've tried on it, including the often-slated SKY transmissions. You should really go see for yourself though, get a look at all the screens you are interested in, you may like the look of the PWD8 more.

5. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    the pwd8 does have a d-sub connection as well as three boards, and it can also be used for component. The scart board may accept S-video and RGB, so you'd need a switcher and adapter, but im not sure on that.

6. strees

strees

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pah ... I wouldn't listen to Dan. He knows nowt!! ;)

I have the PWD8, and will upgrade the component board if and when I want HD. However the PWD8 is not HD ready, only compatible, and will downscale the HD image to SD. If you are HD-eager, then a different panel/screen is for you.

7. darnun

darnun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Thanks Strees, That's kind of what I thought, to be honest.
    I'm all for the board idea but I am definitely someone who looks for the best (on whatever budget I have) and I really want to see the value of HD when it comes in.
    My Fiance thinks I am crazy for spending this money on a plasma anyway so if it wasn't the best HD picture we could get, next year, she wouldn't be too happy and I wouldn't blame her.
    I have to get what I consider to be the best NOW and then I can forget about upgrading for a while.
    So it looks like the Panasonic is out of the equation. It's between the Hitachi 42PD6600 and the 42PD7200 then.?

I think it's time for a stupid question: Is there really a huge difference in clarity and colour between a good 100hz CRT and a plasma screen.? At the moment I have a Sony 32" CRT 100hz Flat Screen Dolby Digital. Will I plug in the Plasma and go "WOWW"?

Darren

8. Dan L

Dan L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Hello my little Ewok friend :hiya:

9. jtf

jtf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    over the past 6 months i have had several sets, 37"pw7, 2x 42pv500 and now a 45" sagem dlp. all have gone wrong in one way or another. i have now ordered a 42"pwd8. if you think about it logically unless you are willing to pay the premium for sky HD there is not going to be any (legal) HDdvd/bluray tv or movies around for a few years yet (at a reasonable price) by which time plasma would have moved on to newer technology. my advise would be do as i have done get a pwd8 and put the money you have saved towards a newer plasma in few years time

10. Dan L

Dan L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    WMVHD :smashin:

11. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    My 2p worth then. If you can afford the 7200, cross the 6600 off your list, and make it a straight fight, PWD and 7200. 2 sharply divided camps here, there is no point in preaching 1 or the other. The thing to put in your mind is the point made earlier. Don't demo with HD, all plasmas look awesome with it, yes even the lowly w-vga PWD8. You need a plasma that can deal with current technology, because unless you have the Fuji 50" kind of dosh, you are not going to see much, if any, HD stuff for 3-5 years. See them with a freeview or sky source, and buy the one you like best. But do see them, for God's sake.

12. darnun

darnun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Maw,

Don't worry mate, I have no intention of buying a plasma without actually seeing it in action. This Saturday I am going in to town to check them out and I am sure I will make my mind up there and then.
    I understand your point about HD not being the most important thing for a while and I could probably do well heeding the advice but I have always bought my AV gear with the hope of it lasting for as long as possible.
    I have to say that the PWD is a great idea as it is just a screen and not a bloody speaker system and tuner built in and the idea of being able to switch between boards is a good one.
    I have to say that my fear of the PWD is the fact that it will cut down to HD resolution to suit it's capabilities. I would only be getting sub standard HD then wouldn't I.? I know it would still look awesome but it still wouldn't be proper HD.

I am buying the PS3 next year and I want to see that beauty in all it's glory.

The 7200 seems to have everything I need but for a nice £400+ more which is another factor.
    Like you've all said, I should go and see each one doing it's thing and make a decision then.

Darren

13. drumm23

drumm23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    PS3 will be 2007 in the UK............
    which is probably an indicator of how long it'll actually be before HD becomes anyway prevalent.

14. Badger0-0

Badger0-0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    As a 7200 owner

I have to say:

The consensus is that the 7200 is much better than the 6600.
    That makes sense when you consider the price difference.
    Interestingly, I have EVERY auto setting turned off :confused:

The Panasonic SD's walk all over the 7200 for black levels, simple, IMO.
    But the 7200, isn't bad and the Panasonics can't live with the brightness on a Hitachi (ALIS) screen.
    That may be a major consideration if you only do SD stuff :smashin:
    But, as has been said, HD from sky, early 2006, PS3, etc.......

I went for a HD screen.
    There are debates about ALIS and I'll hold my hands up and say the picture is softer on an H. Some like it, some don't. IMO it's more realistic.
    All I will say is, that for an SD screen to compete HD-wise, you will need to add a £700 scaler. You do the sums.

I wouldn't consider an SD screen, simple.
    If you are convinced by the Panasonic argument, save more and go HD, definitely, IMO :smashin:

15. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Rowlocks, a PWD does not need a scaler, far from it. Don't listen and distort your perspective, view with an open mind. From more than 2.5m, most cannot distinguish HD and SD screens

16. mf73

mf73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    is there any picture settings for the 7200 or is it a case of playing around with them?

17. Badger0-0

Badger0-0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    You have PM, matey :smashin:

18. Badger0-0

Badger0-0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    I've only just read your post :oops:
    I thought it did need a scaler, but if I'm wrong, I stand corrected, no problem.
    So why are they used ??
    I would agree you go and look though :smashin:

19. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    No hassle, Badger, this is history anyway. The PWD's accept and look good with almost any video signal on the planet on one input or another. The only problem is correct configuration. You don't have that hassle with the 7200. I think the 7200 is harder work to get right, though I do not dispute it can be done.

20. choddo2006

choddo2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +542
    Is this the right time to point out you might be able to squeeze a Panny 42PHD8 and a component board into your budget?

21. choddo2006

choddo2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +542
    Opinion is divided ;)