1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TH42PWD7BS & boards

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Tim-Ann, May 6, 2005.

1. Tim-Ann

Tim-Ann

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Hi there,

Have just bought a TH42PWD7BS plasma fitted with a TY-42TM6A BNC board also bought SH a Panasonic tuner the point of the tuner was to connect Sky+, Pioneer 520H, Video and occasionally a Meridian 800 all through the tuner to the plasma thus only having 2 wires running up the wall to the plasma.

However I know that the tuner may not be the best solution, we don’t need it for terrestrial TV as we have Sky+. Also it would appear that we lose PiP and other features with the tuner cable plugged in, is this the case?

So the second solution may be a JS Tech Scart to VGA going to the VGA input on the plasma but then we would also have to add a Scart splitter and still run the Meridian 800 into the BNC board adding even more cables running up the wall plus the added hassle of yet more power plugs as we believe the JS Tech Scart to VGA and Scart splitter both require power.

Is there a more elegant solution? Just having two cables running up the wall is fine and no we can’t chase them in or box them in.

Could we use a Scart board fitted in the PWD7 running the cable to a Scart splitter or would the quality be better using the JS Tech Scart to VGA plus a Scart splitter?

We assume you can buy another VGA input board so we could also connect a PC if we wished to?

Final question already we have noticed a Lip-sync issue with some channels on Sky+ not tried the DVD’s or Video yet reading on the forum this seems to be an issue for some but would the tuner box be contributing to the problem.

I did ask some of these questions in another thread but thought I best ask them separately rather than high jacking someone else’s thread.

Many thanks for all you help and advice, Tim.

2. JulianL

JulianL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Re the Sky+ lip sync issue, have you made sure that it's not just a regular Sky issue? I sometimes have (and had) Sky lipsync issues on my current CRT setup, both on my old Panny Sky box and my replacement Sky+ 160 box, that just seem to be down to something in the Sky software getting out of step with itself. Often just doing a channel-up and then channel-down will clear it but on other occassions I need to put the box in and out of standby or sometimes even hard boot the wretched thing to get it back in sync.

- Julian

3. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +474
    yep, that does work sometimes but i expect the tuner doesn't help either

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    the lip-sync issues you are seeing may be coming from the broadcasr end lip sync on some channels is generally crap anyway.

5. Tim-Ann

Tim-Ann

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Hi there,

Please can someone confirm does the JS Tech Scart to VGA converter carry the audio signal to the PWD7 or do you have to run a separate audio cable?

Also is this the best way of inputting the Sky+ signal or is there a better way of connecting and getting good PQ?

I thought I could buy a Scart to BNC cable to run from the Sky+ box to a TY-42TM6A but I believe this cannot be don as Sky+ does not output a BNC signal is this correct?

Many thanks, Tim.

6. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +474
    Tim, the js has two rca audio outs which would go to the screen using red/white rca stereo cable as vga doesn't carry sound. You are right that sky doesn't output a component signal so scart to bnc component cable would not work.

7. Tim-Ann

Tim-Ann

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Hi there,

Many thanks for that info as I though but now the next question does that mean I have to run the Audio out from the JS Tech to a mini jack converter to plug into the PC IN audio socket or is there another way to connect the audio?

Sorry for all the questions but I want to be sure I'm going down the right route to achieve a good PQ and so far it appears the VGA route offers the least amount of cabling.

Many thanks, Tim & Ann.

8. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +474
    hmmm...never done it as i use an amp, but i think you are right for the vga connection...input boards (that need it) have sound inputs included

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    timann if you are using speakers attached to the panel yes you need a 2 rca to 3.5mm jack plug lead

10. Tim-Ann

Tim-Ann

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Hi there,

Many thanks for that info, just had another thought, would I get better PQ using a JS Tech RGB to Component Video Converter using my existing Panasonic Component BNC Terminal Board and connecting my Sky+ to the Terminal Board via the JS Tech RGB to Component or would the JS Tech RGB to Plasma give me a better PQ?

Sorry to ask so many questions but I really would like to get it right or at least nearly right first time.

Many thanks, Tim.

11. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    you wont notice much difference between the 2 JS boxes, the componet converter is more flexible, more expensive, more complex. THe RGB to Plasma VGA box is a sync stripper not a converter as such.

12. Tim-Ann

Tim-Ann

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Hi there,

Again many thanks for that info yet another thought crossed my mind why don't I buy a Panasonic DVD recorder and run Sky+ through it and connect the DVDR to the screen via the Component out on the Panasonic DVDR to the Component in on the board of the PWD7.

Again sorry to ask but is that likely to work and give as good a PQ as using the JS Tech Scart to VGA unit?

Many thanks, Tim.

13. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +474
    that will certainly work and i have one of my screens hooked up that way...the js is better but not by miles

14. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    OK this has been done "Cardiff Irons" did it and changed to JS, mep has done it also. A DVD-R offers far more functionality for £150 than the converter, it can introduce lip sync and will need to be 'on' to convert the signal.
    The converter cannot record TV play DVD's or do "live pause" but there is less lipsync issue and better PQ.

15. Tim-Ann

Tim-Ann

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Hi there,

Well I've just bought a Panasonic E95 DVDR to replace a Pioneer 520H which doesn’t have component out. I’ve linked the E95 directly to the plasma via its component out to the single component in board in the plasma. I’ve been running the plasma side by side of one of our TX 36PD50C. The PQ from Sky is still not as good on the plasma but the DVD PQ is far better on the plasma.

The Sky picture seems rather warm/fuzzy/not a sharp as on the CRT and yes I have tried using the varies picture controls on the plasma and will play with it later on tonight to see if I can improve it.

Either way the E95 component feed is better than the tuner feed but I am still noticing some lip-sync and if I still get it with the JS Tech then I think I’ll stick with our CRT’s.

So I guess tomorrow I’ll just have to order a JS Tech scart to VGA box and try that for the Sky feed and see if it cures the lip-sync issue.

Yet again many thanks for all the pointers and info will feed back once the JS Tech arrives.

Tim.

16. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +474
    i find putting the sound from sky through the dvdr gets rid of lip sync in fact....only downside is that i lose DD5.1 on the 3 movie channels that carry it.

17. Tim-Ann

Tim-Ann

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Hi there,

Currently we’re using a set of cheap computer speakers whilst we await deliver of a set of Panasonic side mounted speakers, is it possible that they could be causing lip-sync and thus fitting the matched pair of Panasonic plasma speakers will remove this lip-sync issue.

However when I think about it the lip-sync issue seem more noticeable on Sky+ BBC1 not really noticed it on other channels so could it be a Sky+ issue?

Anyway I think we’ll still order up a JS Tech scart to VGA or are you saying that the lip-sync issue could be worse using that solution?

Tim.

18. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +474
    the js will give great pic but putting the sound through the dvd-r (I believe) delays the sound just long enough for the pic to catch up. Personally I've never used teh JS to route sound through...horny will know though

19. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    lip sync is an odd one sometimes it drives up the wall other times smack on...... if you send audio and video via DVD-R its not too bad....but send audio to AMP and video via DVD-R its terrible. i dont think the JS box touches sound (just routes the sound from scart direct to the RCA sockets)

20. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +474
    yep i agree horny with sound going straight to the amp its very noticeable