1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TH42PWD7 advice for a noob.

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by borobob, Sep 4, 2005.

1. borobob

borobob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hello all,am new here and also new to plasma/surround sound sp be gentle with me .
    Ok,as the title suggests I am interested in the TH42PWD7.This is mainly because of reviews I have read and also because it looked excellent in a local store.So what I need to know is .....

1. I have a Pioneer VSX-C402-s sat in a box waiting to be connected to something,Sky+, a dvd player (Pioneer DC2750-s) so what will I need cable wise to make the whole thing work and also which card will be best that goes in the plasma.

2. Is this a good choice considering my budget (£1500) and also how relevant is HD to someone like myself?

3.I see the stand as the way to go but how sturdy are they ,is there a chance of the screen toppling with a nudge (I have 3 kids )

Oh,I was considering getting from here richer sounds £999

Any reasons why I shouldn't ?

Hope I have asked the right questions,it's a massive decision for me and I really want to get it right ,thanks in advance.

2. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
    you have a few options for cabling. You can either get a scart board for teh screen and plug everything into your amp via scart then have one scart out to the screen...or you could put a JS Technology rgb to vga converter between the amp and the screen and connect using the screens standard vga connection. A component board and cables should be give better results for dvd but its all about cost to benefit ratios and it may be best to start simple.

I have teh stand that Av Sales sell for about £120 and there is no danger of it toppling over.

Th HD question is harder as I don't know you! :).......if you want to be an early adopter of hd you are looking at more money obviously and its not just sky to consider it's also HD dvd which is not far off. Whilst HD will look much better than std def, with teh right gear...a well set up panny is still excellent and you may wonder how it could be improved upon!

3. Sandman

Sandman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +718
    You might also want to know that Richer Sounds only sell that screen for £999 when you buy the 3 year warranty for £99 with it too. A superb screen though! Get it wall mounted!

4. Steve_Whelan

Steve_Whelan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    But 100 for three years peace of mind is well worth it. And with the screen being a German soarced Euro model esential as under the panasonic waranty you have to pay carrage costs to germany.

5. borobob

borobob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the replies guys,brought up a few more questions though (as usual).

The rga to vga convertor..whats that do /cost ?
    If I went that way,,all my equipment would go to the amp then amp to convertor then to screen,,does that mean 1 cable and a power lead only going to the plasma?

I will be fitting this system to a newly built extension what will be finished in mid november,should I hold out buying anything till then or will it be best to get screen now as it may not be available then?

sorry for my lack of knowledge,hopefully I will start to pick things up as I go along.

6. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
  7. Pufz

Pufz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I recently bought a PWD7 from Richer Sounds and you DON`T need to take out the 3 year warranty.

Also I managed to get the scart board for £80.... :D

8. Steve_Whelan

Steve_Whelan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    No you dont need to take out the warranty, but as the European warranty does not cover carrage costs back to base (germany i belive), carrage costs and insurance would cost a lot more than £100.

9. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    The advantage of going for the RGB to Plasma VGA solution for connecting Sky etc, is that you'll get a better picture than the standard connections. That's why several companies sell it as an upgrade over the standard input boards. I typically advise that you use the RGB to Plamsa VGA unit for digital TV, but have a component input for your DVD player if it's progressive scanning.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.