1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TH42PWD6 & 7 Differences

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by AxxxxA, Nov 8, 2004.

1. AxxxxA

AxxxxA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys, just a quick one.

Im in the market for replacing my busted Samsung plasma TV (Just for info, don’t go near them coz they are crap, I’ve had nothing but trouble with it)

Anyway, lets not go there. Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the Panasonic TH42PWD6 & 7 as recommended by so many people on the forum and is it worth spending the difference.

Thanks guys, keep up the good work.

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Panasonic allege a few processing differences, but then they would. As far as you are concerned, it's mainly the input boards. There are some funky new ones compatible only with the 7 series, HDMI, and video over cat 5 chiefly of domestic interest.

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    PW6 can accept component video via base VGA PW7 cannot. PWD6 Charcoal) only a few left PW7 available in silver (*consumer) Charcoal (Business) Due end of year 7 series glass supposed to be more burn resistant a few othe minor differences

4. AxxxxA

AxxxxA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info guys,
    i think i am going to go for the 6 series, its been tried and tested and everyone else seams to be plesaed with it.

can i ask one more question, can you plug more than 1 scart terminal board into it.

thanks again

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Yes, slot 1 and 2 are compatible

6. osho

osho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmm
    what a sense in this hdmi input if it does not support 480/50 p, 720/50 p seems it does not support PAL signals at all on DVI or HDMI input :(

im dissapointed in panny politics, they make another generation of plasm only for NTSC use only (on DVI) :thumbsdow

7. Lizzard

Lizzard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Received an answer from Panasonic in Germany regarding the 6 and 7-series.

7-er series will appear in 12/2004.
    Concerning the price, it will be cheaper than current 6-series, the new 7-series are built in Eastern Europe.

The 50"-er lies in the brightness of the 42-er level.

The gray tones would be careful along I, since the indicated 1536 to NTSC and remains with PAL it applies at 1024, like the 6-er series. largest difference is the new HDMI board supported only 576p/50Hz, thus a scaling on 720p/1080i digitally is not possible with PAL disks, that had the 6-er by DVI already.

Thus picture-technical. w. probably nothing change, so seen probably come it on the price at -PHW6, PHW7.

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    That does not sound right. On the hDMI specification, it states that if 720p/50 is supported on analogue, which it is, then it must be supported by HDMI interface, ie they're trying to muscle in on the inputs. So if it won't support 720/50 it is out of spec, not HDMI

9. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    Is this the six series display you are all talking about?
    plasma at ebuyer

I had stopped looking at plasma's for a bit, but this looked like a bargain, so I came here to look for some info and the first thread I saw was this one! The only draw back that I can see is the lack of hi-def readiness, but for this price I might be willing to overlook it.

So, is this a good price, or is there some kind of catch?

Does anyone know if the RGB listed as an input on the supplied video card is scart?

Are there any connections on the panel as standard or does it need the video card?

It states that the card takes up 2 slots out of 3, so does that mean another card can be used for increased connectivity?

I know it's a lot of questions but I am a bit out of it at the moment, so thanks in advance for any help.

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    it is the one we are discussing but www.av-sales.co.uk can offer any input board you fancy most are free as well as much higher levels of support.......(£50 more Shipped buy proper carrier.)

11. zedzed

zedzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    The PW6 will happily display Hi-def pictures (although it's not a high def. panel).

The RGB listed is not scart - it's the dual width BNC component, s-video and composite input board.

The only "default" input on the panel is the VGA port - but they are shipping it with the BNC component board - so that probably qualifies as the "default" inputs.

With the dual width board that will leave one free slot - for either a Scart board, component (RCA) board or another VGA board.

There - all questions answered? :D

ZedZed

12. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    board is RGBHV/Component and S-video/Composite

13. Lizzard

Lizzard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is always a catch with sell-offs.

New 7-series released, large 6-series stock of PW6, at least in Germany, and the stock costs high interest rates for Panasonic, better to sell it off cheap fast, get rid of old stock, introduce new 7-series, lower the price on 7-series even more when all old 6-series sold off safely.

I think you can relax and sit back and watch the new PW7 series reach same or cheaper price than the current phased out PW6-series in early February or something.

At least you get HDMI if you want, not possible with PW6, and more greytones

14. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    Thanks to everyone for the responses. I think I am going to take Lizzard's advice and hang on untill the spring. I just got a bit carried away seeing the price and being so surprised, which I guess will teach me to keep on top of things a bit more!

Anyway, got a baby due in a couple of weeks, so it's probably better not to be spending the money just now.

15. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    I'm pretty sure the HD panels use an improved MACH panel design, hence the 60,000hr life, increased brightness and high resistancy to burn. (very similar approach to Pioneer and NECs waffle-rib structure)

SD panels don't seem to have changed at all. Lets hope there's no blinking LED failures this time around!!!!

Spec for HDMI card on main pdf file does say no 720p or 1080i @ 50Hz, but i'm hoping that is a mistake. As MAW says, it wouldn't be HDMI if it didn't.

However I have download spec sheets from US, Japan, UK and Germany and all say inputs are limited to 525/60p, 625/50p, 750/60p, 1125/60i and VGA 60 (640 x 480 @ 60Hz)

16. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    Regarding the burn issue. How susceptible are modern plasma's to screen burn? Something I have never been able to establish is how long something needs to be displayed before it leaves a permanent shadow. For example, if your missus watches something like living or the sci-fi channel all day, after how long would burn occur and would it still be likely if the logo disappears during adverts?

I know this might be like asking, how long is a piece of string? Just some rough guidelines would be very much appreciated.

17. Gussie

Gussie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    ... I think you can relax and sit back and watch the new PW7 series reach same or cheaper price than the current phased out PW6-series in early February or something ...

The 42PWD7's consumer brother - the 42PW7B is already available from as low as £1739 delivered (panel only)

If the 42PWD7 becomes available in quantity next month - I believe we'll see it going for £1695 or below from the likes of AV-Sales, hopefully together with their existing free board offer.

If so - AV-Sales would certainly get an immediate order from me!

It all depends on just how many PW6's are still lurking around.

Remember also, with a Barclaycard purchase one should be able to recover some money back two months later - when pricing may have dropped another £100 or so.

Gussie :)

18. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Liam, it's not just me is it? The spec really does say that hi def at 50Hz displays must be capable of hi def at 50Hz on HDMI? I've got the .pdf, that is a straight copy of the text. Most surprising, as I thought Panasonic were one of the original authors.

19. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    No panny signed up to HDMI after the spec was down IIRC so they should comply not like the started using it before it was official

20. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    They were, matu****a, philips, silicon image, sony, bunch of others all got involved early on. I read the document inside out when I first heard about HDMI working at AV-Sales.

However, and here comes my conspiracy theory, for the 7 series Pana removed component video capability from the VGA socket. With no terminal board, or just the HDMI board installed the plasma is actually NOT able to recieve 50Hz HDTV.

So it *seems* as if Panasonic have gone "this 50Hz thing is way to difficult, and who cares about the British. Lets just get rid of the component VGA input instead so we don't have to and let the installers worry about it instead".

21. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    My PHD7 will accept RGBHV at 720p with no boards installed. Yes, at 50HZ, or just about any other frequency.

22. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Ah, forgot about RGB colourspace.

Was wondering if a terminal baord is treated as different to a display with permanent HDMI connector, but the document quotes SINK which refers to display, and that a SINK capable or receiving 50Hz analogue should receive 50Hz via HDMI.

So basically, someone needs to go kick Panasonic in the nads.

23. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Theoretically, I have that man on my books, but as his user name is 'family guy' I don't think he's the type! And Liam, I really don't think your underwear holds the answers in this case. I think if it's true we should have the UK stock of HDMI boards inserted into another accessory slot, belonging to the responsible person at Matsu.....

24. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    I am yet to be convinced DVi/HDMI is better than RGBHV with standard video

25. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Funny you should mention it, was inspired to play with DVI. I now have TMF on pace twin freeview running at 720p/60Hz on DVI, must be the fastest video board install and remount I've ever done, and got DVI working. A bit underwhelming actually. There is a noticeable difference in the greyscale, the THX optimiser is way easier to use, but overall, if anything the image is not so good, it had a real 3d type quality about it on analogue, it's gone. Maybe more tweaking, be back later!

26. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    DVI update, now running at 720p/60hz exactly, it's pretty peachy actually. Got the image sorted, brightness was way out. Sex on a stick really, except for a very small amount of judder on the news channel scrolling text, but then I never watch sky news. I'll leave it so and see if I can live with it, whether judder is intrusive at any time.

27. dempsey

dempsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maw, any info on the video over Cat5? Panasonic UK didn't appear to be aware of this option when I spoke to them the other day

D

28. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    :rotfl: Why am I not surprised? But even if it's not yet available, (it will be sometime) you can do this already, we do it all the time with corporate installations, we send 1366/768 over shielded cat5 up to 75m.
    PS it's a business channel product, maybe panny consumer don't know about it.