1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TH42PW7B £1599 inc 5yr Warranty @...

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Steve_B, Dec 29, 2004.

1. Steve_B

Steve_B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
  2. 406lx

406lx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi

Thanks for the link, the 5 year warranty is very attractive, warranties aren't cheap

Cheers

:clap:

3. Steve_B

Steve_B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    Yeah, got my Tosh 50" RPTV from them 3 years back... swayed me then with the free 5 year warranty as JL didn't sell RPTV's...

-Steve

4. tij303

tij303
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    They are aslo doing the th42pe30 for 2200 with 5 yr warranty- is this too good to be true?

5. Steve_B

Steve_B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92

Thats without stand... (not a bad thing :laugh: ) JL Watford are doing it for £2699 with floor stand and free DMR-E55 DVD recorder, excellent service and 5 years warranty (no affiliation with them) also Comet Watford £2499 with stand but no 5year warranty or DVD recorder...

...been doing lots of research you see...

6. tij303

tij303
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    pw7 still looks good to me as a quality viera alternative - is there any indication they are doing it with a scart board ? :thumbsup: not that im greedy...

7. AFC

AFC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought my Panny 6 from them about 5 months ago and it's been fantastic.

They still have the PW6 for sale at £1,599 plus £229 for a 3 year warranty so, why is the Panny 7 cheaper?! :confused:

8. tij303

tij303
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    AFC I dont know but judging by the deal ill let you know cos Im going to get one in the morning :clap: I know this is a bit off thread but will the pw7 take component into the vga slot ?

9. AFC

AFC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dya know I'm sure I've seen a few threads that say the PW7 doesn't accept component through the VGA port.

10. tij303

tij303
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yup just found a few posts thanks - will probably just bite the bullet and by the bmc board - at this price as Im not much better off going for a pw6 with the guarantee. Either way to me this looks like the best deal yet ....
    Strange that the website doesnt give much of an explanation about its products or the finer print of the warranty. I also read somewhere that when they dont put a s,b or x after the name its an import ? The website doesnt seem to specify anything other than 'pw7' with no colour. Does this mean anything ? :rolleyes:

11. gazgits

gazgits

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I talked to them on the phone yesterday and apparently they throw in a scart board for free and delivery is £60.00. I'm seriously considering as well although i'm still tempted by th hitachi 5200.

12. pajare

pajare
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just ordered mine :thumbsup:

Many thanks for the tipoff

regards--------------- Will

13. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +330
    I am tempted by the 37" PW7, it works out just an extra £120 for the 5 year warranty - compared to cheapest alternative price online, when are they delivering yours?

14. pajare

pajare
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Dont know when mine will be delivered lisag. When I spoke to sales on phone they said they are awaiting stock on 42" owing to high demand.37" possibly same situation. Give them a ring they seem to be very helpful.

Regards-------Will

15. jabowen

jabowen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    If I do take the plunge, does anybody know where terminal boards (esp the BNC one) can be bought separately??

16. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +330
    Thanks Will,

I just called them and they said they are in stock but backed up on deliveries and would take a couple of weeks, also extra charges for delivery and paying by credit card! I asked about their warranty, they seemed a little evasive, no proper details on their website, they said the first year is with Panasonic and the next four years is with them, but was not sure if it would be an 'at-home' warranty or if they would replace, repair or refund.

Now looking at www.digital-point.co.uk who are very cheap, have stock and can deliver within 48 hours. Anyone heard of them?

lisa

17. 406lx

406lx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I was extremely tempted to order this when the link was posted, however, as a few have pointed out, there is very little known about the terms of the warranty, nothing is mentioned on their site.

If anyone can provide any information on it, I am sure others along with myself would appreciate any details.

:thumbsup:

18. Dillz

Dillz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I know a few people who have ordered from digital-point, they are one of those companies that are interested in sales and not customer service. Their prices are really competitive but if you have any problems / faults with your purchase it could take a while for you to get them sorted. Having said that I ordered my VCR from them a while back and it worked fine when I received it, but then that was a £100 purchase and not a £1500+ purchase.

19. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +330
  20. Scaleyback

Scaleyback

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi there,

I've been keeping an eye out for a reasonable deal on the Panny PW7 and have found this:

http://www.digitaldirectuk.com/products_moreinfo3/index.asp?product_id=6352

I'm holding off for a while though untill Panasonic make some kind of announcement re HD/Sky compatability.

2K is a lot of wedge to me so I need to know that what I'm buying is going to stand me in good stead for the future. I dont think the misses would be too happy if I wanted to change in less than 5 years

21. tij303

tij303
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Like most of you I have been agonising over my decision today but have plumped for a PW6 from AV-Sales for the following reasons ;

1/ The PW7 vga connection doesnt take component feeds so it has limited functionality (not the end of the world obviously)
    2/ Though it comes with a scart board, an extra component board would have been £150 (if you can find one as many firms either dont have them or sell them separately)
    3/ Having contacted Whytes, whilst friendly they were definitely a bit vague over the warranty, but confirmed I would have to pay all carriage charges or call out fees after the first twelve months
    4/Add (min) £120 for a bracket, £150 for component, and £60 for delivery = £2000 roughly

I then rang richer sounds who confirmed they had a pw6 in stock for £1299 - great except that they wanted £150 for the bracket and £150 for a scart board. They then said that you definitely cannot run component to the vga ? :nono: and did not stock component boards :suicide: and were not sure where I might get one :rolleyes: . So this worked out at £1600 + another £150 ish for the guarantee. About £1750 then.

Cut to Av- Sales :smashin: who I have never dealt with before. Ben rang me early doors based upon a pm I sent Alistair last night, and talked through the pros and cons of pw6 v pw7 - remaining objective.

They were prepared to offer a discounted guarantee and some off an additional component board, but talked me out of rushing into buying additional connects until I sourced my amp and dvd player. I asked them to try and price match the pw7 above but they couldnt do so and pointed out the issue with the guarantee, sourcing component boards and the lack of bracket etc. Having had previous horrendous issues with another direct supplier of digital equipment from manchester when things went wrong I had to agree they had a point and I have been hankering after some decent service for a while.

Delivered with their comprehensive courier based guarantee, tilting bracket, scart board etc the pw 6 worked out at a touch over £1700 - effectively beating richer sounds and undercutting the pw7 by £300 ish.

I asked Ben to try and get a few extras thrown in but in all honesty felt that the deal was fair. On returning home I found I had PM from Alistair who had spent a lot of time explaining the various connections that I needed - service which we all know is quite rare. As a result I rang back and ordered from them adding another £50 quid or so for component.

In these circumstances I believe this is about as keen a price all in as you will get anywhere with the benefit of a decent guarantee and guenuine excellent service. Av-sales also shaved more money off for me as I was a forum member. In fact had I been a bit more bare faced there may have been further discounts but for the sake of another few quid I retained some self respect.

I hope this tale and my thought processes are of some use to others - on a final note I appreciate the pw7 is the newer model but read through the forums. It is a sound piece of kit but for a tad bit of better contrast and not particularly future proof hdmi I would not discount the pw6 - get one while you can ! :hiya: by the way they are in stock and it comes next weekish !

22. 406lx

406lx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Thanks for that long explanation Tij303,as you have correctly pointed out the PW6 is still a great screen, only problem for me is that i want my plasma in silver, correct please if i am wrong but i believe the pw6 is only available in black.

Also thankyou for clearing the warranty terms on this offer, its not really worth as much as you think when you are paying for it to be sent away and returned and call out charges, i am sure that these bills could soon mount up if things go pear shaped, as unfortunately they sometimes do.

:smashin:

23. buzzby

buzzby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are robert whyte ltd a good comapny to order from. has anyone delt with them before and what are the terms of their 5yr warrenty.

24. tij303

tij303
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    4061x - Yes unfortunately my understanding is that the remaining stock is all black and yes the pw7 is in silver at Whytes.

For what it is worth Whytes were extremely friendly and helpful - some of the recent posts bear this out.

Buzzby - you cannot access any of the warranty terms on their website (as far as I can tell) but the explanation when I rang was that you are covered under manufacturers warranty for 12 months. After that it is their own 'version' where if something goes wrong you contact them and they will arrange for a local panny engineer to either come out or you have to send it away. You are liable in both cases i.e call out/carriage and in both directions (from what I understand). The nice lady said that most engineers prefer you to send the plasmas to them as they have better diagnostic equipment at their service centres :laugh: , but she couldnt off hand tell me where the nearest one to Doncaster was which clearly might affect carriage costs. She didnt elaborate on liabilities re damage in transit but I can guess ! Overall my understanding is that after 12 months if it goes wrong you will have to send it off and accept the risks.... I prefer the idea of a warranty where I just have to be 'in' :thumbsup:

25. 406lx

406lx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
  26. Squonk

Squonk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I contacted Robert Whyte LTD and asked what was included in their 5 year warranty, here is the reply i got via email:-

"Hi

In the event of a repair being required we will expect you to retain all the original packaging. Dependent on the fault, we may have to uplift the product and you would be responsible for a carriage charge of £35.

Regards, rwl. "

I hope this helps.

I've asked AV Sales for a quote on the Panasonic pw7b 37" to include a guarentee and relivant terminal boxes, i've already ordered their low profile desk stand. :)