1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TH42PW6 terminal board question

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Baldster, Jun 8, 2004.

1. Baldster

Baldster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Help Guys,
    Have Panny PW6 complete with TY-42TM6Y terminal board. One slot of the board is a shared S-Video / composite input.
    Sky+ etc all go into the S-Video input, and as current VCR doesn't have S-Video output I'm having trouble setting up the VCR for wife's old videos - great grief and ear bending nightmare. :nono:
    Question is can you have both S-Video and composite inputs both plugged in permanently and choose between them - can't seem to get anything from VCR with SKY+ already set up.
    Cheers, The Baldster.

2. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    no, its one or the other.

3. Baldster

Baldster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for that I suspected so.
    As always leads to more questions :confused:

So my Sky+ has to go in to plasma through S-Video connections, so my guess is I need to buy a new SVHS VCR which I can plug into the back of the Sky+ box and all's sorted ? If that's right can anyone suggest a good value one ?

More interestingly I took the opportunity to have a good butchers at how the installer set all the connections into the Plasma through the terminal board ... http://www.panasonic.fr/videopro/specs/ty-42tm6y.pdf

S-Video is definitely connected, and he told me he had connected the DVD player in via component. Strangely only 2 of the five component connectors are connected and yet DVD works OK. I thought that component was three connections minimum ?? thoroughly confused any help out there ??

The Baldster.

4. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Not sure about the component issue - seems very strange that it works.

For the Video, why not buy a SCART board for the Plasma, plug that in and hook Sky+ up through that and then hook the video up through the through port on Sky+

Neil.

5. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    Hi Baldster,

For better quality Sky pictures, I'd recommend using the digibox's RGB Scart output into an RGB to VGA converter from www.js-technology.com and then into the plasma's (usually) unused VGA input. Hope this helps.

Steve

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    Baldster

Sounds mighty fishy - a two wire 'Component' hook up; sounds more like S-Video.

Do you have a digital camera and if so can you take an image of the connections.

Whats your full kit list - make and models numbers; with that info folk here can better advise on a suitable connectivity plan (include your AV amp in the kit list) and don't buy anything new just yet.

Best regards

Joe

7. Baldster

Baldster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks Joe. Had a much closer look at what's been set up and am currently watching DVD through S-Video, and component connection mis-connected. Can't seem to get it to work yet think they must have installed with dodgy cables (and also lied about what they had set up for me) :censored: .

Full set up is Panny PW6 with TY-42TM6Y board, Pioneer 565 DVD, Pioneer VSX812 amp, Sky+, and VCR. Also Kef 5005.1 speakers just out of interest.

Currently Sky+ and DVD feed into Amp via S-Video, with one S-Video connection into Plasma. Intend to get component feed working from DVD to Plasma to take advantage of better picture. Still leaves me with no way of connecing VCR as far as I can see.

All thoughts very gratefully received. Only way I can see to do it to to spend yet more hard earned cash on a new SVHS VCR, or find some cheap way of up-converting the VCR picture ??

Thanks to all ideas so far.

8. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    Hello Baldster

Ah yes low cost installs - funnily enough were constantly told our install figures are too high!!!

VHS player - if you have a spare S-Video Input on your AV Amp you can get a sub £10 barrel that adapts a standard Composite video cable to an S-Video connection; it wont make the picture any better but will keep the misses happy (you'll need a SCART to 3RCA cable - Yellow for Video and White/Red for Audio LR is the norm plus the RCA2S-Vid barrel adapter - try Lektropacks or similar).

YUV Component - it should be pretty straightforward to hook a decent quality 3RCA to 3RCA cable between your DVD and the YUV input on the plasma; me and others on the Forum can supply you cables from stock if your current cable is knackered (though it sounds more like your installers have botched upon the set-up).

Best regards

Joe

PS As Dutch says you may want to look at connecting the SKY+ via RGB rather than S-Video.

9. Baldster

Baldster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks Joe barrel idea is inspired. :clap:

Will tear apart their installation over the weekend and if need component cable I'll be in touch next week. Thanks for all your help.

The Baldster.

10. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Maplin (.co.uk) do a little adpator which allows composite down an S-Video lead. It's by no means ideal, you're not going to get S-Video quality. I've looked at this type of solution before, and quite frankly composite was perferable!

So, you really need to free up the S-Video socket and use the composite/video input for the VCR. And, for your other sources you can do better than S-Video anyway.

If the Denon 565 has component output,this use this to the component in on the screen. For Sky +, use an RGB to Plasma VGA unit. At the moment, this is exactly how I've got my system connected. If the DVD player doesn't support component video, then also consider the Master SCART Switcher, it will automatically swap over when the DVD player is on.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

11. Baldster

Baldster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The famous Dr John !!

Interested in your Sky+ advice. From what I've been reading it seems to be the quality order from lowest to highest is :
    Composite
    RGB
    S-Video
    Component
    ... so I'm quite surprised you suggest RGB as source rather than S-Video from the Sky+ box.
    I'm sure there is a good reason ... can you explain why ?

Many thanks

12. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +646
    RGB should be better than S-video most of the time, and definitely in your set up.

13. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I've even heard of some professional installers using Composite throughout a system costing many thousands of pounds rather than the three better alternatives! The most recent for a very famous British actor, for whom I have the greatest of respect.

Back to the topic...
    The order from low to high is:
    RF;
    Composite;
    S-Video;
    Component;
    RGB.

Small step in quality between RF and Composite, bit of a jump to S-Video and a leap up to Component, and a baby step to RGB. RGB and Component are very similar.

It's because RGB is better than S-Video that I recommended going via an RGB to Plasma VGA unit. And on your Panasonic screen it will make a big difference.

Finally, for those interested in further reading, there's two document in the Technical section of my website. One goes over the relationship between all the video signals discussed above, and the other covers connecting these to your screen.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

14. Baldster

Baldster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks Dr John.

Having seen the picture improvement now I've finally got the DVD going in via progressive scan I'm quite tempted to invest in your RGB VGA adapter thingummy to get the Sky+ in.

Need to know whether your box of tricks could introduce any delay onto the signal ... already have a slight lip-sync issue as is well documented on this forum with the Sky+ box. Not interested in buying another new AMP with variable audio delay as have spent enough on Amp.

Any thoughts out there from anyone who users Dr John's converter, or could you confirm Dr J ??

Also, will post this on DVD forum but just in case anyone knows ... have pioneer DVD DV-565A. Works fantastic once set to progressive scan. However once you turn it off, then turn it on again, it still has light on front to say it is outputting prog scan, but get no signal out. No s-video output either so it's not resetting to other format. To get round it have to reset box, and go into options whilst viewing through s-video, then set it to prog scan again which will then work fine ??? very odd.

Thanks all.

The Baldster.

15. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    No, the unit won't add to any lip-sync delay. Because we do everything in real time, that's for all the converters, there's no extra delay.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

16. darenc1967

darenc1967
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

I have the same DVD player the Pioneer 565A DVD. When I got my plasma I went through setting stuff and eventually set the player to interlaced. This worked fine and the pic seemed to improve, but once the player was turned off and then back on I got no output but the player shows it's in progressive\interlaced mode. I too had to do a hard reset and then change the settings.

I now run the 565A in progressive mode, the manual says it doesn't do PAL interlaced but it funny that it appears to until the machine is restarted.

Any feedback welcome.

17. Baldster

Baldster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    darenc1867,
    thanks to Jed in the DVD section have sorted this problem with the dv-565. Have you set the scart output to RGB? It needs to set to video or S-video because otherwise it overrides the component output when you turn it off.
    Cheers, The Baldster