1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TH42PW6 or Viera TH37PE30

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Genesis, Aug 22, 2004.

1. Genesis

Genesis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    TH42PW6 or Viera TH37PE30

I have searched this forum and gathered lots of information and come to the conclusion I will need a budget of approx 2k. My short list is down to the two models above. Both these models seem full fill my requirements which are:-

1)Must have the best possible PQ in this price range.
    2)A replacement for my 32 Toshiba TV.
    3)Once set up, easy for all the family to use.(not sure whether this is true will welcome your comments) :rolleyes:
    4)Look good wall mounted.
    5)Have some future proofing.

I appreciate out of the two sets selected one is a screen and the other a TV. Any constructive comments to help me decide between the two would be useful. At the moment I am leaning towards the Viera as it looks to be the most simple option.

Thanks. :thumbsup:

2. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    HI there.
    I am having the same difficulty as you my friend. I had sort of decided to go for the pw6 and then add on the connections that I needed ,rig it up to an amp ect, but the more I think about it the more I preffer the vierra. In my uniformed opinion the look of the thing is just so damened sexy!!. It also seems to be more wife friendly if you no what I mean :laugh: , just turn it on and view rather than turning the amp on all the time for sound. There is quite a price difference though. THere is a good few hundered pounds between the vierra and the pw6!!
    A lot of people here would recomend the pw6 over the vieera though so dont just take my advice(I havenet decieded yet my self! :laugh: )
    do a search on both within the forums and post your decision here. :)

3. zedzed

zedzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I /could/ be totally wrong here - but I think the PW6 will accept high def. signals (and display them as best it can), whereas the Viera models won't. Not 100% on that one (I've decided to go for the PW6 anyway since I have amp etc. and the Mrs. can just about work them :laugh: ) - but if it's true then that means the PW6 is the more future proof option. (Sky has annouced it's High def. service will be released in 2006)

ZedZed

4. spook

spook
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    btw you don't need an amp with a PW6, you can connect a pair of speakers directly to the screen, I have a pair of these connected and it sounds great:

http://www.petertyson.co.uk/?p=http://www.petertyson.co.uk/denonscm51.shtml|p

spook

5. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Genesis,

I think your final decision will be dependent upon your overall no.1 priority...

For ease of use/TV replacement, then go for the 37" Viera TV.

For future proof technology/able to display a HD signal, then go for the 42" PW6 display panel.

Either way, you'll get a great picture ;)

S.

6. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I could be wrong, but I don't think the PW6 is the hi-def model.

The Hi-def model is a lot more expensive, I can not remember the product code. Sky have said they will launch hi-def in 2006, but how many channels will have it, look at dd5.1 !!! By the time it is fully integrated I would imagine converters to allow hi-def for the pe30/pw6 etc will be readily available

There really isn't much difference between the PW6 and the PE30. The PW6 allows more flexibility in what inputs you require, whereas the PE30 has standard inputs.

I went for the PE30 as it is more of a direct replacement for a CRT. The speakers and DVB were an added bonus.

I bought the stand for greater flexibility and it looks the muts nuts.

7. zedzed

zedzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Sorry - i meant that the PW6 is capable of displaying HD material (through "down scaling") as SD - whereas I /think/ I'd heard that the Viera could not. Something to do with different implementations of the software running these panels???? Caveat emptor - this is going from memory could could be wrong - I'm a relatively newbie round here :)

ZedZed

8. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Zed, I think you are right, I'm pretty sure that I have read others post that the 37"/42" Viera's will refuse to display either 720p or 1080i whereas the PW6, although a SD panel, can display these formats, albeit downscaled so the image would not look as good as the equivalent HD panel e.g. TH42PHD6BX. Both the PE30 and PW6 are 852x480, strange that the PW6 will accept HD signals and the PE30 won't, I'd love to know Panny's reasoning for excluding the Vieras from being able to work with HD signals.

S.