TH42PW6 and Sweetspot

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by spencer, Oct 11, 2004.

1. spencer

spencer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just bought a PW6 this weekend and now need to decide on the connections.

After spending months following this forum, I have noticed that most would recomend SKY is connected using the JS RGB to VGA converter. Has anyone compared the picture on a PW6 from SKY using the JS converter with a PC running sweetspot and dscaler?

2. Alex Simon

Alex Simon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well they are 2 entirely different beasts.
    While the JS box is a proven low-cost way of getting RGB into a Plasma, a full HTPC (SweetSpot or not) is comparable to a £1500 dedicated scaler + a £500 DVD player.
    You will see a smoother, steadier picture with the PC and obviously you can also gain from having music/web/movies played direct from the PC.

SweetSpot is simply the icing on the cake - allowing you to capture SKY in the highest quality possible.

SweetSpot SDI and an SDI-modified SKY box is another step up, but it's the PC's processing power, TheaterTek and DScaler that are making all this possible.

Hope this helps
    Regards
    Alex

3. 911uk

911uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Spencer,

I have a Panny plasma, connected to Sky using a JS box and the picture is superb. I recently bought a Sweetspot and built a very high spec HTPC thinking I would be able to replace the JS box and capture recording from Sky using DScaler. Very disappointed to say the least, the picture is not as sharp and the recording capability within DScaler is very limited. Until the software catches up with the hardware, I wouldn't bother. Having said that, it is very useful to have a PC permanently connected especially if it's all networked and online via broadband etc.

4. spencer

spencer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks... it is good to hear from someone that has made this comparison.

I can appreciate that connecting SKY to the PW6 via sweetspot should give a better picture, but without using a JS box as well it will be imposible for me to make comparisons.

Has anyone else compared both methods of connecting SKY?

Another question that may put my mind at rest and decide which route to take is, does a scaler really make a difference when connecting SKY to an SD pannel such as the PW6? (I guess the method of scaling, whether it be by a stand alone box or a PC is irrelevant)

5. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    I did post elsewhere on this, but here's a quick summary of my impressions having played with all of the options.

In order of quality, Sky via JS box (either VGA or component) is good; into Sweetspot card in HTPC then to plasma via DVI is better (noticeably so for me); SDI modded Sky via the HTPC better still, but not lightyears ahead of analogue sweetspot.

Have to agree with Alex here ( but then he has had loads of my money). You need to play with dscaler to get the best set up, and the display also has an effect. I have the Pioneer 43MXE1 which is well suited to this set up. If your Panny is the low def model then it may well be that you are better off with the J S Tech gear. High def displays definitely benefit from the HTPC route, and don't forget Powerstrip to get resolutions and refresh rates exactly matched to the panel. 1024x768 at 50Hz (PAL) on the Pio gives a rock steady display with superb PQ.

6. David PluggedIn

David PluggedIn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi 911

It sounds like something isnt set up correctly - are you sure you are getting 1:1 mapping from your PC ? The picture should be razor sharp if you are.

cheers