1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

th42pw6 and its connection(s)

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Harry1265, May 2, 2004.

1. Harry1265

Harry1265

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm planning to get this panny screen. (Crompton and Moore-any of our sponsors doing similair deal/package?)
    If I buy it with the TUPT600 tuner box what terminal board would I need and cable to connect tuner to panel?

Alternatively if i buy the panel only and want to connect a freeview reciever,DVD player and VCR (could do without this) can someone advise what panel(s) I would need? Would a cable from each of these have to go to the wall mounted panel.

2. chachi

chachi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if you went with the "6Y" input board, you would get svideo, component, and composite inputs and then could run the freeview into svideo and the DVD into component (and perhaps hang the VCR as passthru one of the two) if your DVD player has component outputs.

3. Harry1265

Harry1265

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Chachi
    I've looked at the av-sales site which has a pop-up that shows the different boards. Is the 6Y the same as the "Composite and SVHS (shared) " board?
    Described as:
    Shared AV sockets. To use s-video *and* composite video you will require two of these boards.
    [Slots 1 or 2]
    TY-42TM6V (RCA's) / TY-42TM6BB (BNC's)£130.43 inc.VAT

Would this be the same board if I had the tuner?

There seems to be a general preference not to have a tuner box, is that because it downgrades the picture? I've just thought it just seems a whole lot more convenient. I think at the back of my mind I don't want to see all the cables but can't have any "chopping" into recently decorated wall. - wife may not survive!

4. chachi

chachi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No the board I speak of is the TY-42TM6Y it uses two of the three slots available referred also as the 'component/composite combined dual board'.

No real need for a tuner unless you do not have Freeview, cableTV or Sky ...

5. Harry1265

Harry1265

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did a search on google and found this image:

http://www.kingmaker.co.uk/panasonic d6boards.pdf
    which shows it.

Any chance you could have a look at this and run through what the abbreviations mean on it.
    By the way how did you get round the cabling issue? What cables would I have to buy, would you recommend a particular make?

6. chachi

chachi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    that is it. the connectors are as follows (left to right)

R/L audio, SVideo, Composite In/Out, R/L Audio, Component Input (H & V Pr Pb Y)
    (the SVideo and Composite share one set of audio inputs)

What cabling issue? Sky+ via SVideo and DVD via Component for me.

I now have an iScan Ultra though, so I'll be using and hooking it up into the 15pin VGA terminal and running the DVD through it rather than direct to the screen.

7. Harry1265

Harry1265

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks

This does seem to be a simple and rather cheaper option than getting a screen+tuner+board.

By cabling I really mean't the physical aspect of getting them to the screen if it is wall mounted.

Sorry about all the questions!!!

Do the sky+ and freeview boxes have audio outputs that go directly to A/V amp?
    Finally if you had the chance to but a new screen would you still go for this panny or something else, the proviso being it has to be in this price backet? Did you buy from the web?

8. chachi

chachi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Best option is to bury 40mm pipe in the wall with ropes/strings/etc inside and pull through whatever you need to. In the future when replacing cables can tape off to old lead and pull through again ;)

Yes both should have Red/White RCA audio jacks on the back, if not just get a scart -> svhs+audio cable to accomplish the same thing.

Well seeing as I just bought my PWD6 last week from www.av-sales.co.uk I think those questions are answered ... :laugh:

9. Harry1265

Harry1265

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The buried pipe does seem simple enough can I stand the grief!!!

Will give av-sales a call on Tuesday, don't think i can wait any longer, did you deal with anyone particularly helpful?. Had intially thought I'd get the Hitachi 42PD 3000, but missed the stock at JL (5 year warranty seemed a good deal). Since found this forum and hearing about all that "buzzing" I think I'm glad now.

Did u get an extended warranty, I hear Dom+General can do this.

10. chachi

chachi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    send a PM to "Alastair Collie" (resident AV-Sales rep on AVForums)

regarding warranty, am leaning towards the £385 Panasonic 2nd/3rd year extension as Domestic & General quoted me circa £550 for coverage that did not include a loaner as Pannys does ...

11. Harry1265

Harry1265

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    will do..

Time to get the builder back again me thinks.

12. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I-Scan:
    Just remember that the best input with the I-Scan is component (YUV / YPbPr), and Sky give RGB via SCART. So you'll need to convert from RGB to Component.

Very much agree with the 40mm pipe. I've heard of too many people who bury cables in the wall, only to find they've got to add more cables to get the best from their screen!

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

13. Harry1265

Harry1265

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks John I think I need to find out what an I-scan does! Who said buying a plasma screen is easy (quiet scream...........).
    So I get a screen, have a DVD player, VCR and SKY, don't have a tuner but sounds like I get round this with a Freeview box. Don't want Scart as most seem to think quality not so good .......... and how do these all fit together? I thought being a medic and navigating human anatomy was complicated but I thought wrong!

14. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
  15. Fat Tony

Fat Tony

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Hi Harry

I'm new to this game too (also looking to get the same Panasonic) - you are right on the nose about this being a frustrating arena. The one area that really confuses me too is what component boards/cables to get and how the whole things gets wired-up.

I'll be keeping a close eye on this thread - please send me a pm if you have anything that helps.

Thanks

16. jrpavel

jrpavel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you get a netgem iplayer (freeview box) you'll find that it produces component output from its scart and can be connected to the Panny's component board via a suitable cable. You then don't need any other tuner.

Alternatively, you can use the scart board and a connection from your video player, ideally RGB out, but the sound/picture may not be as good.

17. Harry1265

Harry1265

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Fat Tony and all other frustrated+confused newbies, perhaps we should start a new thread.. "Ideal sub £3000 set up for the Panny" what do you think???

18. Fat Tony

Fat Tony

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20

I agree, although would add the words "in plain English, please".
    :smashin:

19. chachi

chachi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's not all that bad to be honest.

Assuming one has the "6Y" component/svideo board, one has three active inputs (VGA, Component (also denoted as YUV or YPbPr) and Svideo) with separate audio inputs for each video input -- NB the VGA input only accepts a 3.5" mini plug for its audio feed. Typical hookup with this dual input board might be Sky/NTL into SVideo inputs and DVD into Component input (thus leaving the 15 pin VGA connector unused or available for computer use).

One could also get one of two JS Electronics conversion boxes, both of which take a scart and output either 15pin VGA or Component/YUV/YPbPr video respectively. These cost upwards of £120-140 but deliver a much higher quality signal to the screen. One would cable into the 15pin VGA input or into the component inputs depending on which box one has.

One could also get a video processor/scaler box (iScan, Lumagen, etc) which generally would allow all video sources to be run into it, and then a single 15pin VGA connection to the screen. These boxes cost from £300ish for a used iScan Ultra to upwards of £7-800 for an iScan HD or Lumagen.

The 'best budget' solution is likely one of the JS boxes ... but having said that I have both an iScan and a JS-YUV

20. Fat Tony

Fat Tony

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Thanks Chachi - it makes sense, when you put it that simply.

I think I'm going down the JS Electronics route, as it's in my budget range. Can I take it the latter box you mention ("Component/YUV/YPbPr video") is what you recommend?

21. chachi

chachi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well each to his own as it were, I went with the RGB-YUV box instead of the RGB-VGA box as except for it lacking component outputs we were happy with the Panny e50 recorder and got it in lieu of upgrading (but also my iScan hooks to the 15pin input and therefore would have needed an adaptor cable to hook it up)