1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TH42PV500 Died on me :-(

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by BallyDude, Sep 8, 2005.

1. BallyDude

BallyDude
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had my PV500 since mid June very pleased with it until last week when it failed to come out of standby :-(

It would click on, then about 5 seconds later click off again. I noticed that the red light wasn't flashing as usual.

I spoke to the local panny repairer who has now collected the set for repair, seems like it's the PSU board that has failed. He's used the last two he had and is now awaiting delivery from Japan.

Now the worrying thing is that he said he's had 7 calls in the last few weeks from PV500 owners with the same problem, and all those sets were bought in July/August. So it seems it might be a duff batch.

Has anyone else had any issues like this ?

Chris.

2. royster

royster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hope there is not a faulty batch as I purchased mine in August. Hope you get it sorted quickly. Would the engineer fix on the spot if he had a replacement board in stock?

3. BallyDude

BallyDude
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a follow up post, I'm still awaiting the return of my set. Engineer has replaced the PSU board but apparently needs another board aswell. Panasonic don't have it in stock and are quoting a 3-4 week lead time.

So I've been waiting 2 weeks already and have to potentially wait another 4 weeks.

The set was only 9 weeks old to begin with.

Spoke to Panasonic themselves who confirmed the delay and said there was nothing they could do about it, I explained that the set was only 2 months old but that made no difference.

Also found it interesting that the engineer said I really ought to have an extended warranty as the cost of replacements so far exceeds £700 !!!!

4. tscotsman

tscotsman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    people who have bought them cant even get them, ive been told at least another 2 weeks before I even see mine and I know of others that have waited even longer. Im sorry for you that youve had to wait for that length of time, thats why Im keeping a hold of my 28" for the bedroom, just in case something goes wrong in the first few months.

Might I ask, how did you find it while it was still working, were you very happy with it?

A question for everyone, what sort of viewing distance is optimal for a 42"?

5. markbigears

markbigears

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    if its only weeks old, why didn't you demand a new one? Mine died after a few days and JL replaced it within a week. There was no way i wanted it fixed.

6. pmckirdy

pmckirdy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would quote the 6 month rule to them.. and demand a new one

7. Badger0-0

Badger0-0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    I wouldn't have thought it matters how well it performs if it packs up after a few weeks and then you have to wait ages for a repair.

Is it me or does the 500 have a major reliability problem????

To answer your question, a minimum 8ft is recommended.
    And the further away the better, up to a limit obviously.

In other words, the closer, the worse.
    Bigger screens= more visible flaws.

8. BallyDude

BallyDude
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If the set is less than 4 weeks old they will replace it, after that they will only offer to repair it.

What is the 6 month rule ?

Annoying thing is, I'm stuck with a 14" until it returns because I sold my 40" Rear Projector when the new one arrived :-(

9. tim k

tim k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    panasonic does offer temporary loan screens for problems occurring within warranty. should be able to get you a pw7 or something for the time being.

10. markbigears

markbigears

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    your contract is with the shop/internet site you bought it from, not Panasonic.