1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TH42PHD8 Question ...

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by peakey, Oct 20, 2005.

1. peakey

peakey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    All,

I currently have a PWD6 and want to upgrade to a HD ready screen. I am interested in the new Pio 436 but my wife does not like the black border so I have looked at this screen !

As the PHD8 apparently takes 3 terminal boards, do you guys know if I would be able to use the terminal board for HDMI and still use the TA600 tuner that i use on my PWD6 ? So use one terminal board for HDMI and one for my tuner ?

I am assuming not but just thought I'd ask in case anyone else knows for sure ...

Cheers

2. UKseless1

UKseless1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Hi peakey you are the second PWD6 owner that I've seen today looking for an upgrade. Personally I can't understand why you would want to bother.

Here's a thread from earlier today from another chap who wants to upgrade http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255071

With regards the PHD8 I think the simple answer to your question might be yes, try pm'ing someone like Gizlaroc or MEP as they both have a PHD8. From what I have read on the forums about the TA600 tuner it would appear the it is not a well liked bit of kit. Most will tell you to throw it out and use either Sky or a decent freeview box to get better results.

3. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +471
    have never had the tuner though so can't really help with this one but I suspect you are right peakey and that it wont work

4. peakey

peakey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Thanks Phil,

Glad i asked the question, it has made me think about whether i actually need to upgrade. I am more than happy with my PWD6 but didn't want to miss out on XBox 360 HD mode or Sky HD when it comes out. I guess the main concern is once HD does come to the masses my PWD6 will be basically worthless so i was thinking of getting rid now ! Although if the jump in quality is not going to be that great I amy as well hang onto it for another year or so, at which point i will have had it for 5 years so it wont be such a big deal if its worth nowt !!

As with regards the tuner, I have no problems with it at all, I get a great picture using RGB scart and especially using component out of my DVD !!

5. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +471
    well it wont be worthless as it will still look good with an HD source eve if it is scaled down.

6. peakey

peakey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    A more general question, if you have a HD source via component plugged into a non-HD input (my tuner) will it always automatically downscale the source ?

I am going to be buying the XBox 360 Package which includes the Component lead and wondered what would happen if i just plugged the component lead into my TV !

I was thinking that it may just display a corrupted image, simiar to like when you put an NTSC signal into a non NTSC capable TV.

Thanks

7. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +471
    so long as you disconnect the tuner (doesn't that disable all other inputs?) it will just downscale to the screens own resolution....should still look good though.

8. peakey

peakey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Cant disconnect the tuner as its the tuner that has the component input ! If you have the a component lead plugged into the tuner then you cant use the RGB scart on the same AV channel but there are no other restrictions that i know of.

9. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +471
    aah sorry thought you had component board as well....I wont guess with an answer not having experienced the tuner.....but i bet Giz will know the answer

10. cj

cj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    In both the 6 and 7 series the tuner board disables all other inputs. I can't imagine it would be any different for the 8 series.

11. peakey

peakey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Cheers, so do you reckon that using the Tuner component input will auto downscale the image ?