TH42PE50CAB & DMR EH50

N

nath69uk

Thats it, this is my final decision. Im going for the TH42PE50CAB screen and stand & the DMR EH50 DVD recorder. I am purchasing it from LetsGoDigital for £1662.59.

I have chosen this setup because the TV is just what I need I can watch the freeview or my NTL and a dvd from time to time also record stuff when im out. I chose the CAB version so its complete. I think some third party stand make certain setups look sort of out of place, also I couldn't wall mount due to just decorating. I know Im stupid and should have chased the cables if I wanted it wall mounted, but then you have the 3rd party AV stand housing all your gubbins.

Now all I need is to find a decent AMP and speakers for as little as possible. Saying that though I am going to save up for these so it may not need to be as cheap as possible. I am looking to replace my stereo for the DVD player AMP and speakers. Current stereo is an old Technics Separates paid £500 for it new. So I don't reckon I will need much to match or even beat that.

I just thought Id let everyone know I've decided on a setup that I think is the right one for me, If anyone can help me out on the AMP and speakers then Id appreciate it very much.

Peace out,

Nath

Sounds a good price to me, I have the TH42PE50 with pedestal and DMRES10 for £1399. You will be very happy with this screen once you've correctly run it in for 200hrs. Only 1 question, what are Letsgodigital like for returns/customer services??? something to consider as i had a dead pixel on my panny the first week and John Lewis swapped it out for us.
Alot of suppliers will say "up yours" as its within the tolerance levels of the manufacturer. Perhaps this is a good reason many people's buy and stick with JL. and pay that little extra.
Petethemeat.

I've never actually dealt with them before, another forum member pointed them out to me. However I emailed them yesterday askin what extra it would be to add the better dvd recorder to the package than the one given free, and the reply was sent before any of the other companies I had emailed the same question too. The reply overall was written and presented better than the others also. I know this is not any guarentee on returning the screen if faulty, but these little things do make the difference when speanding £1600 on a TV with them. The forum member who pointed them out to me did a telephone test on a couple of companies and they won by far. I have to phone them to put the order in so I'll have a natter with them and see what I can make of them by phone. Thanks for the advice though.

I have just ordered 2 of the 42PE50ped from JL for £1349.00 I got them to pricematch with H Prestons, JL's pricematch dept said that would not include the DMRES20d which they have as an offer at the moment, but when I ordered it the audio/visual dept said it would. The letter I received from JL did not mention it and I obviously did not say anything and played dumb, which I do very well by the way (my wife says I'm a natrual :eek: )

my wife says I'm a natrual

HA HA HA

Just got off the phone from LetsGoDigital, asked them about returning Items. They said they would return any faulty item free of charge if it was damaged in transit or if it was DOA. I asked about dead pixels, he said if it was in the limits of Panasonic they would replace it if I paid the carriage, if it was outside Panasonics limits they would replace it. I dont think you can be more fairer than that.

Roll on tomorrow when it arrives.

(best get rest of decorating done tonight)

Glad to hear that you've made your decision, nath69uk. If I could afford it I'd probably stretch to the same model that you're choosing - I'd love to get a 42" screen, but I think it's beyond my means unless I get a less-known manufacturer (which wouldn't be a wise idea).

I've not dealt with Lets Go Digital before, but I was very impressed with their website, prices and reports from other users of this forum. I'm sure they'll be fine. Let us know.

I'm still strongly considering the TH37PE50 but I just took a look at the TH37PE40 (note: 40 not 50) in Dixons and I wasn't impressed. I've no idea what the differences are between the 40 and the 50, but I must say that the picture quality on the 40 wasn't too impressive, and aesthetically it was probably the worst TV in the shop! Ouch! I know the 50 looks a lot nicer, but I'm praying the picture quality is a lot better too. Can anyone help me on this?

But yeah, good luck nath69uk, hope it proves to be a wise purchase.

Hello again WillC,

When I went to comet to get a feel for what I wanted like I mentioned in that other post, I looked at every television. Now for some reason they only had the cheap HD ready ones running HD ready material off a PC. Now sat there was the philips my G/F wanted HD ready and a PE50 sat beside it now when I compared these to one another the PE50 was a much better picture overall the difference in colour tones was unreal. I then thought to myself well why havn't they got the philips one running from a normal SD feed. No more was thought of that till I seen a thread on here saying they have seen the philips running a SD feed and it was garbage. This is what made me go for the PE50, I'm gunna be watching more SD than HD and probably only HD when I want to show off a little. Which for £1600 is a lot of money to show off with and then when i've finished showing off I turn to normal tv and it looks like I'm watching "painting by numbers" <-- This is how they described it in the thread I read about it running SD rather than HD.

As for LetsGoDigital read the above post, havn't got anycomplaints so far. However whos gunna cause me any trouble at the handing over money stage. I'm confident about the returns because the fella I spoke to (Peter) was straight up when asking about the returns procedures. He also offered to phone me back when the couriers arrive and give me the details so I can track my order tomorrow.

Cant wait, all I gotta do now is find out how I work the bloody thing.

The PE50 has razor sharp PQ - I love mine, better than the old crappy phillips CRT we used to have to watch...

Just make sure you buy some decent cables. Also I've noticed the PE40 - the only difference I could see was that it is Silver.

Poor PQ is normally because of a poor feed in places like Dixons / Currys I find.

I've had the 42PA50 (European version) for a couple of weeks now and with a digital source and good cables the PQ is fantastic. Oh, and believe ... if you can stretch to 42" (financially and spatially) you will have absolutely no regrets!!!!!

It all too much for me to handle cant wait till morning. Anyone know where I can get a decent component cable? and any advice on running it in?

Judging by the Panasonic website the PE40 and PE50 are the same (The manuals are available for download and are the same.) The cosmetic difference is that the PE40 is all in silver. That was the major reason I went with the PE50 because I didnt like the lookk of the PE40.

David

Well its here now all setup with contrast and brightness turned all the way down in normal mode showing bbc1 so theres no logos on it. Just gunna leave it like that really till its run in. I still need a componant cable though.

Xebec2005 said:
Judging by the Panasonic website the PE40 and PE50 are the same (The manuals are available for download and are the same.) The cosmetic difference is that the PE40 is all in silver. That was the major reason I went with the PE50 because I didnt like the lookk of the PE40.

David

Eek :(

I've got plans to get the PE50 but I've not seen it "in person" yet. But I have seen the PE40 and I wasn't impressed at all. It looked horrid (aesthetically) and the picture was rather poor too.

I'm hoping that the good people of Dixons a) hadn't tuned it properly and b) hadn't given it a good dust down for a few weeks.

WillC - I just got my PE50 with the Cabinet stand delivered today and I am absolutely blown away with the quality; looks great too with the black surround - I also didn't like the look of the all silver model in dixons/currys; I also prefer the looks to the PV500 on which I found the glossy finish distracting. If you want a pic let me know.

Pretty much every model of the PE50 I looked at in Dixons, Comet, Currys and JLP had poor picture quality so much so that my wife was very concerned when I had decided to buy it. I did see the PE50 beside a PV500 both showing an HD picture (the PE50 through component) and I I couldn't tell the difference between the two.

My advice is don't use what you see in the high street retailers as the basis of your judgement as their picture feed is such poor quality and diluted - I followed the advice and views on this forum and I have not been disappointed; and neither has my wife who is absolutely delighted. :)

Next step is a Denon DHT-550SD Home Theatre system and some decent quality cables.

Thanks BillyM.

I must admit, I do like the black gloss finish that I've seen on some of the high-end Panasonic models. That's one reason that I've always had a thing for Samsung's LCD models - it's my opinion that black gloss surrounds look the best.

But I guess a matt black finish isn't too bad either :) I'm going to take Friday off work and go into every TV shop in Oxfordshire :smashin: I need to get a better feel for the TH37PE50 (if I can find one on display). But I'll definitely bear in mind your advice - I realise that sometimes they don't tune them in correctly in the shops.

Talking of which, why are the pictures on LG LCD screens always ten times better than any other LCD/Plasma screen? I think LG must pay Dixons/Currys a premium to get them to tune them in properly or something. Just a small observation of mine :) I could be wrong of course.

Billy, how long did it take you to set up your Panny once you got it home? Did you do it on your own?

Hi Will - it took me 30 minutes to build up the cabinet stand; 10 minutes to connect up all the cables and put them through the cable ties, 20 minutes to download the software update and then all I did was set it to cinema mode and reduce the contrast and brightness settings to 40%.

I'll probably look at a more detailed set-up after the 200 hour run-in period recommended on these forums however I have to say I am delighted with the quality already and that's just through scart, I am going to get a component cable to use with my Denon system.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom