1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TH42PE50-S Video or Scart?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by dognuts, May 15, 2005.

1. dognuts

dognuts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Hi,

Ive been using my TH42PE50 for a week now and im not totally happy with the picture quality.(T.V. channels in particular)Im mainly concerned with DVD however.

My DVD player supports S Video and Scart.At the moment im connected via scart but would S Video be better?

Also,when i switch on my DVD player the channel automatically switches over to show the DVD,but in the corner of the screen it does not state RGB.Im fairly sure that its an RGB lead.Am i doing something wrong?

Thanks.

2. MrNPG

MrNPG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    You will need to make sure that you have set your DVD player to output an RGB signal and that you are using one of the RGB compatiable SCART sockets on the TV. I have the same TV as you and two out of the three SCART sockets are RGB compatiable (AV1 and AV3)

3. Peabo

Peabo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if you can afford it, I'd say go for a new DVD player that supports a component connection. What connection are you using for TV channels?

4. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +223
    OK,
    well Component or RGB through a scart lead are the better ways. Then Svideo through scart or the svideo socket at the front.
    Like has already been said, check if your player can out put RGB first.

5. david1966

david1966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi just set my 42pe50 up this weekend, I initialy was not impressed with the TV picture, changed coax for quality item and retuned. What a difference!
    Pictures are now sharp and there are no fuzzies on any channels.
    I got the ES10 recorder dvd free with mine and the picture through component is absolutely stunning.
    Like the majority of replies in the forums, the answer is you get out what you put in, quality in = quality out.
    The picture on this set is amazing when set up right.

Dave

6. dognuts

dognuts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Right then,

Ive set DVD to RGB output and i dont think its made any difference,although to be honest im finding that its only with older or poor quality DVD's that the picture quality is lacking anyway.(im maybe being picky-not sure.)

As for the TV connection-im not really sure i know what you mean by "what connections am i using for my TV channels".As far as i know i can only use a coax from my rooftop aerial.Is there another way?I was connected through my VCR but ive now plugged the coax straight into the plasma but it hasnt made any difference.

By the way,if i do decide to go for a new DVD,can anyone recommend one.Im not really bothered about a recorder,just a player.Also,any recommendations on component cables.

Thanks.

7. knobbs

knobbs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi ive got the pe37 after seeing both in shop, they were both connected same and the 37 was a much better pic than the 42.
    ive had it running since sat and pic quality is amazing, even on the footy.

8. Peabo

Peabo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Make sure the Scart cable is connected to an RGB compatible socket - not all the scart sockets on your TV are RGB compatible, check the manual. Also, make sure the cable itself is a fully-wired RGB scart cable, it might be a standard composite one.

Coax aerial is the ultimate, bottom of the barrel piece of crap cable. Yes, your TV channels will look rubbish through this. Get a freeview box and connect that using whatever outputs it allows (should have at least scart RGB).

I have a pioneer DV-575A DVD player and it's really good! Won't cost you more than £100 either. It has component output so get a nice component cable with it.

9. knobbs

knobbs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi -scart 1 and 3 are both rgb.

10. dognuts

dognuts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Ive got the DVD in RGB now.I already knew that AV1 and AV3 were the RGB sockets but didnt have the DVD player set to RGB output.
    im still not sure what you mean Peabo when you say coax is crap and get a freeview box.the plasma has a freeview decoder in it so i dont understand what you mean.
    at the moment i have my coax straight into the plasma from the roof aerial and some channels look fine whilst others are pretty dire.(ITV2,Sky sports news,and generally all of the freeview channels).

Thanks all.

11. david1966

david1966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Was the TV picture good on your old set?
    Like I said in my previous post, i replaced the supplied coax lead with a half decent one from maplins and retuned the set and the picture went from fuzzy crap to absolutely brilliant.
    If the coax comes straight in and doesnt go to a wall mounted plate have you tried a signal booster?

Dave

12. dognuts

dognuts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Yeah i thought about a signal booster but wanst sure how or if it would work with the freeview decoder-ill try that.
    The picture on my old CRT was ok-nothing stunning but then i wasnt using a freeview box.I suppose another thing is that im in a bungalow and the reception will probably be weaker than a normal house anyway.

13. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    a new aerial is probably the best idea (or at least get an aerial expert out to take a look and some measurements)

14. dognuts

dognuts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    By the way Peabo is the pioneer DV-575A DVD multi region out of the box.ive looked at it from a few different places and some state multi region and others dont :confused: