1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TH42PE50 mounting HELP!.....

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by G0ldfinger, Jul 6, 2005.

1. G0ldfinger

G0ldfinger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

1st post so please be gentle :) as im pulling my hair out.
    I have a Panasonic TH42PE50 and the standard viera wall mounting
    bracket.

The problem is that I am moving house very shortly and I wish to mount
    this on my wall :cool: BUT my new house is new and only has plasterboard
    walls. :(

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to mount a plasma of this weight and size onto such wall?. if so i would be grateful for any suggestions on what type and size fixings i would need?

Any help would be very very much appreciated.

Thanks again
    Andy

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    No problems, plasterboard is easy, and gives great opportunities for cable burying. You either find a stud or 2, or if it's dab and board, you use long fixings that go right into the wall blocks.

3. G0ldfinger

G0ldfinger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HI, many thanks for the reply :) thats great news, I will probably go for the long fixings direct into the wall blocks.

any ideas what type I will need? and where i can get them from?
    Will they be just long masonry fixing bolts? or special ones designed for
    the purpose.

Sorry for the n00b questions but your help is VERY much appreciated.

Thanks again
    Andy

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Just long masonry fixings do work, we have taken to using chemical bond bolts for this now. Your local hardware store will have something suitable, even a 4" no 10 and a rawlpug carefully pushed into the blockwork will hold it fine.

5. rickyb1974

rickyb1974
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Be careful if you're going straight thru the plasterboard into the wall, you run the risk of collapsing the plasterboard if you overtighten the screws (not an issue if you're going thru a stud)

The stud walls in my room are plasterboard, which is then mounted on heavy board, which is then attached to the studs; so it's a lot sturdier than plasterboard alone - I've used Toggler bolts (available from B&Q) to mount my 42PE50.

The packaging on a pack of 2 of these bolts claim they'll hold around 300lbs (from memory!) on plasterboard alone, but I wouldn't be able to verify that myself! I used 6 in total.

Does anyone else have experience of these types of fixing?

6. G0ldfinger

G0ldfinger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are your Toggler bolts going straight into the wall block?

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Toggles are good if there's room to open them behind a dab wall. Valid point about overtightening, that's why we use the chemical jobs, but then I bang my bolts in with a Bosch 24v drill regardless, for speed, so I rely on the clutch to regulate torque. Plasterboard is surprisingly strong, and there are usually 8 holes in a bracket, so the load is well spread. Do a pull-up on the bracket before mounting the screen. If it holds you, it will hold the plasma.

8. rickyb1974

rickyb1974
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    No, they don't touch the brick. If you use these you need to have 5cm of space to push them through.

The bolt is roughly a 5cm x 1cm lump of metal which you push longways through the wall cavity. Once it's in the wall, you pull back on the attached plastic rods and the bolt flips 90 degrees so that the 5cm is tight against the back of the plasterboard. You can then screw the mount through the centre of the bolt. (Hope some of that makes sense!)

9. G0ldfinger

G0ldfinger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    humm yup all is making sense so far!

House im moving to is only 5yrs old so Im pretty sure there wont be 5cm
    between the plasterboard and the block, looking at the shoddy house building techniques they now use :)

So i still think it will have to be straight into the block, with the chemical bolts and be careful not to overtighten them.

As i seem to remember the viera bracket has 6 fixing points.

Are they M6 type bolts i need?

Andy.

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Chemical bond bolts have a sort of big thread on them, they are not a tight fit as such, it's the glue that holds them in. Not much tightening needed. They have a screw thead that sticks out, you put a nut on this to hold the bracket. Then you could even mount the thing on the ceiling, the glue goes off before any strain is on the fixing.

11. G0ldfinger

G0ldfinger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    can i get them in 4-5inch sizes if needed? as they sound like the ideal solution for me.

So i need to drill i hole for these to go through the plasterboard and into the block, insert the chemical bolts? or do they self tap?