TH42PE50 arrived yesterday

StinkyPete

My two 42PE50's arrived yesterday, but I have only been able to set up one so far as I have not built the unit for the other one.

I have changed all the settings to what others have recommended on here, I have Normal (instead of Cinema) and the contrast on 50% (was 80) brightness, colour and sharpness on 40-45% and cool with the other 3 settings to off.

Now I was mightily impressed with the picture, and then my wife who has eyes like a hawk and notices everything on the screen, can see pixelation in the picture.
The parts of the screen that are in focus are perfect and crystal clear, no problem, but when parts of the screen go out of focus, ussually in the corners or sides you can see pixelation on the darker colours.

Now I can only see this when my wife is right next to the screen pointing it out, but she can see it sat down 10 feet away, but why she is looking at an out of focus orange wall is beyond me.

This is on freeview and sky, DVD is perfect. We noticed this last night on Spooks BBC1 and House Channel 5.

Will this improve over the next 2 weeks or is there a problem with the TV, as most people on here do say the picture improves a lot after 100 hours.

Cheers

chrisw

The TV will get better and better for the first few months. After 2 months, mine is a world away from where it started.

A decent set of cables will go a long way to removing this 'noise'. Although some of it is due to Sky broadcasting a low bit-rate on some channels.

Either that or just move the sofa a bit further back!

StinkyPete

chrisw said:
The TV will get better and better for the first few months. After 2 months, mine is a world away from where it started.

A decent set of cables will go a long way to removing this 'noise'. Although some of it is due to Sky broadcasting a low bit-rate on some channels.

Either that or just move the sofa a bit further back!
We will be watching freeview mostly as the PQ was slightly better, I have ordered some gold component cables for the DVD player and xbox, would these cables be better for the SKY connection
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HQ-GOLD-PLATED-SCART-LEAD-FLAT-1-5m-DVD-HOME-CINEMA_W0QQitemZ5820601622QQcategoryZ15067QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

chrisw

I would spend a bit more... I bought this for £20.. and it made a huge difference.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/IXOS-XHT611-AWARD-WINNING-SCART-1-5M-BRAND-NEW_W0QQitemZ5825600573QQcategoryZ15067QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Someone justified it to me by saying "you wouldn't put cheapo tyres on your ferrari, would you?". And although I was intiially horrified by the idea of spending just over £20 on one cable, I can see why it was worth it, the weight of the thing alone made me know I'd got a really quality product.

StinkyPete

the picture is definately getting better, but I have a problem with the guide button, when I am on bbc1 it comes on but if I try to page down it goes off, and if I am on ITV1 it comes on and goes straight back off again, and if I go to E4 and press guide it comes on and stays on even when I press page up or down unless I page up to the 2nd page then it goes off again.

Now this worked fine yesterday and the day before, it started going wrong last night when I programmed a programme to come on at 9pm.

Is their anyway to re-set it or have I done something wrong??

martd77

Standard Member
I've have just had delivery of my panasonic pe50 and i have to say pixellation prevails when watching sky and i am highly disappointed with this.
I returned a 2week old relisys rpab20 which had none of this problem but the reason for return was the jerkiness on fast moving objects ie football in particular,film credits rolling up the screen and the sky sports news banner jerking along the bottom.
On the panasonic when watching the football it isn't jerky but the screen goes pixelly(if thats the right word) as if its trying to focus,its noticable on white writing,like noise all round it.
Dvds are superb but they were on the relysis model,my settings are on normal,i find cinema too bland and washed out and dynamic far too unrealistic.
I don't have a decent enough aerial reception so i cant comment on freeview picture cos the aerials not even plugged in,all my scart connections are £25 gold plated flat braid type.
I hope as well that the picture improves in time.

norriejam

Standard Member
martd77 said:
I've have just had delivery of my panasonic pe50 and i have to say pixellation prevails when watching sky and i am highly disappointed with this.
I returned a 2week old relisys rpab20 which had none of this problem but the reason for return was the jerkiness on fast moving objects ie football in particular,film credits rolling up the screen and the sky sports news banner jerking along the bottom.
On the panasonic when watching the football it isn't jerky but the screen goes pixelly(if thats the right word) as if its trying to focus,its noticable on white writing,like noise all round it.
Dvds are superb but they were on the relysis model,my settings are on normal,i find cinema too bland and washed out and dynamic far too unrealistic.
I don't have a decent enough aerial reception so i cant comment on freeview picture cos the aerials not even plugged in,all my scart connections are £25 gold plated flat braid type.
I hope as well that the picture improves in time.
The pixelly effect/noise has more to do with the broadcast rather than the TV.

You'll see a massive difference while viewing DVD but having said that your PQ will definetly improve through increased use. :thumbsup:

I've had a PE50 for about 2 months now and I've no doubt that I now have much better PQ than the first day I set the TV up.

K

knobbs

hi, i dont think the pic actually gets better, i think your eyes get more use to what your looking at.

L

Lionheart

Just remove the component causing the problem Pete...send your wife out of the room lol

M

mal60908

martd77 said:

If DVD's are OK then it is the source material that is the problem. You can't polish a turd.

Trending threads

Top Bottom