1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TH42PE30 Question and might be totally daft!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by loopz, Nov 19, 2004.

1. loopz

loopz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All, After lurking for a few weeks I went out and bought a TH42PE30 and its the dogs! All I wanted was a TV the kids and 'er indoors could use without moaning at me how they preferred the old 29" sony crt...anyway its worked out great, the 3d sound can be very unsettling for someone who is used to just stereo nicam...anyway..

I want to connect a PC to the screen, a perminent kind of thing so the front mounted VGA port is out of the question. After looking at the component inputs on the back a thought crossed my mind to use an old vga - bnc lead I had from an old monitor but the display is all over the place (yes not a scientific description but its so bad its hard to describe!) So I have a couple of questions...

1. Is it possible to use a VGA - Component lead? If so I have 5 BNC leads (which I have converts on to phono) Red, Green, Blue, Black and Grey the same as ..

[​IMG]

Which cables should be connected to which on the back of the PE30? There is Y, PB(CB), PR(CR) - I assumed the PB=Blue , PR =Red and so therefore the Y=Green which is a little odd!

2. What resolution should I use, 840x480 closest match to the screen or will it covert higher resolutions as with the front input?

If all else fails the PC has a composite output but it doesnt give very good PQ compared to the VGA input on the front

Thanks for any thoughts!

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Sorry mate, you've bought the wrong screen to do this with. It's composite or front panel VGA, you will not get a signal with that cable, it will be expecting sync on green, and it won't be there, VGA is RGB and H and V sync, on separate wires. If you could send sync on green it would all be virulent pink anyway.

3. loopz

loopz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MAW,

Thanks for your quicky reply, saved me hours of trying to work out why it wont work!

Thanks

4. offdigital

offdigital
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any chance you could get hold of an ATI Radeon with component out? I imagine the PQ would be OK and I believe the component in sockets are around the back.

I know they do the ATIs with component out in the US, not sure about over here though.

offdigital