TH42PE30 and Playstation 2

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Dade, Oct 9, 2004.

1. Dade

Dade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im planning to buy the Panny TH42PE30. I will be mainly watching Sky and hooking up my Playstation 2. The chap in a local store advised me against the TH42PE30 because he said that the PS2 runs at a higher res than the screen and the picture really suffers. He also said that on screen captions and text looks bad on the Viera.

I know a lot of you are raving about the Viera so is this guy just trying to make me part with more cash for a higher res screen?

2. reckless

reckless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I think he's confusing the resolution of the ps2 with the resolution of pal. I used a ps2 on a panny 6 (same screen) and trust me, it looked great. If you used a ps2 to display a dvd picture then yes, the screen would have to downscale the pal res to 480 but games don't have that res on a ps2 as far as I'm aware.

Let someone with more technical info have their say in case I'm wrong.

Biggest problem I had was that I could never get it to fit the screen and always ended up with bars left and right no matter what aspect I set the screen to!

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    if you connect with crap freebie composite cable and use component connections it will look great all PAL sources will be down scaled so PS2 will look as good as DVD or TV.................. If you are going 42PE30, DMR-E55 and PS2 you will need to decide whether your PS2 or DVD-R uses component i would go SKY>DVD-R>PLASMA component and then use RGB scart for PS2 this allows for easy recording and time shifting of sky

4. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    I have my PS2 hooked up via a full wired RGB SCART and the picture is great, both for games and DVD (I don't get green screen because I use DVD Region X). If you're hooking up a PS2 then I would advise using a full RGB SCART as a minimum or as Horny has suggested go with a Component feed. Steer clear of S-video as in my experience the colours in the picture look really washed out are prone to some bleed, especially with reds. Of course it goes without saying don't even touch composite or RF aerial signals with a barge-pole.

The picture is that good that in my case my PS2 is my primary DVD player until I have enough saved up for a Panny DMR-E95. :blush: Oh I can see all the gurus wincing out there in forum land :p

S.

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    :wince:

6. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    :p :p :p Heh so are you wincing at my current PS2 setup or my decision to get an E95? :D

S.

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    hmmmmm PS2 as DVD definatley E95 nice machine...........

8. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    In that case you'll be able to stop your wincing around Christmas time as that's my planned date for E95 purchase. :p

:oops: I fear we're going :offtopic: Apologies.

S.