1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TH42Pa50, PS42S5h or PS42S5SD - Which is better?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by padawan_learner, Jul 9, 2005.

1. padawan_learner

padawan_learner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, hoping someone can help?...I'm thinking about buying one of the above, but am not sure which one will give the best picture quality considering my situation?

1) I will be needing to connect the plamsa to an analogue ariel to watch tv
    2) I will be needing to connect to a pioneer dvd player with 5.1 sound for watching films
    3) conecting to the xbox for a bit of doom 3 action!

I was thinking of the 2 Samsungs as they have the better specs than the panny, but am confused whether the PS42S5SD will allow me to connect my analogue ariel?

Anyone know??.....would be greatly appreciated!!!
    :lease:

2. letterman55

letterman55
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi padawan_learner,

I have the PS42S5SD and without question I can wholeheartedly recommend it to you.

I have my analogue ariel connected to it and it gives a great analogue picture, much to my surprise. It also has a digital tv tuner built into it which you'll be able to use along with the analogue one.

Also, like you, I have a pioneer dvd player with 5.1 sound connected to the second scart through S-Video and the picture is amazing. I sometimes swap it over to the first scart to watch it through RGB (usually occupied by my Sky+ box) and it's even better. If your dvd player has component outputs then you're sitting pretty. Mine hasn't but I'd love to see the picture through component.

My PS2 runs through the other S-Video port (external 3 channel) and it also looks great.

Read my review of the PS42S5SD here:
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=220165&page=6&pp=15

Having had the PS42S5SD for five days now there are times when I'm watching a film or a tv show on sky and ,because I'm getting used to it, I forget just how fantastic the picture quality actually is, but the Sammy has a lovely habit of smacking me up the face with a burst of colour and sharpness that reminds me just how amazing this screen can be.

Can't help you out with the PS42S5h but I'm sure it's very similar in a lot of aspects (except the High Def of course).

Hope this helps you. :thumbsup:

3. Peabo

Peabo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you don't really want to be using an RF aerial with a plasma TV. Get a freeview box or a TV with a tuner in. I can't comment on the 5th generation samsung displays, but I used to own a 4th gen and it was pretty poor. I have a panasonic panel now and it's top notch. I've heard Samsungs new dispays are quite good though, but I can't reccomend the brand due to their reputation with plasmas.

4. padawan_learner

padawan_learner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys, I'm think I'll order the PS42S5SD as I don't have sky in my area yet, so won't really need to make use of the HD.....or am i being naive and should go for the PS42S5h as it has 1024x768 resolution?

5. Peabo

Peabo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd suggest you go see the screens in person before making a decision.
    Sky isn't high def anyway so you won't miss anything (yet)

6. moedeeb

moedeeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I have ordered on of these for my dad (he's paying) - I have gone for the HD (X) version - does anyone know if this has the integrated Digital tuner as well as an analogue one- the various specs on these are very hard to decipher.

I know that the SD version has a Digi tuner - surley the more expensive HD version has the same thing. the model I have gone for is Samsung PS42S5HX

Thanks

Hope the HX dosn't stand for High definition X (No) Digital tuner
    and the SD Standard definition Digital tuner

7. padawan_learner

padawan_learner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  8. moedeeb

moedeeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Its on order from discount electrical uk. I know it has a built in tuner but it's not specific about the digital (dvb) side of things.

thanks

9. gunneredw

gunneredw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0