1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

th42-pwd6 and samsung hd 950 dvd player

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by eztiger, Aug 28, 2005.

1. eztiger

eztiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi,

I'm looking to upgrade my ageing DVD player to something that will get a little more out of my panasonic th42-pwd6.

The samsung hd 950 looks to fit the bill nicely (although I'm aware the pwd6 isn't capable of HD).

However I'd really like to connect it via HDMI. I can't see an HDMI terminal board available for the pwd6 however...is this the case? will a terminal board rated for the pwd7 or above still work?

TY-42TM6DB DVI-D terminal board seems to be the best option available. The samsung does come with a HDMI --> DVI cable. Does anyone have any experience of this kind of conversion? will there be problems?

It's a reasonably sum to splash out on player and terminal board only to find they don't work / are incompatible!

Thanks for any help,

Kev

2. charker

charker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Kev

I can't say you won't have issues connecting to your screen but in principle a HDMI connection is simply a DVI connection + sound. The actual signal remains unchanged, just the plug size and pin configuration

An HDMI -> DVI cable just wires the picture pins through from the HDMI connection to the DVI. The sound is ignored

The DVI-D just signifies that the DVI connector is only wired on the "digital" pins and ignores the pins assigned for analog content. A bit like the difference between a SCART and SCART-Fully Wired.

So it should work, but I have heard about signal level incompatability between devices from different manufacturers.

Someone may come back and tell you if that player connected to the V6 DVI board works. Best of luck

Cliff

3. eztiger

eztiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Cliff,

Thanks for the clarification.

I think I'll risk it. Hopefully there won't be any problems!

Good to know that there isn't too much difference between HDMI an DVI. I was imagining an adaptor might be having to alter the signal.

Kev