1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TH37PW7B - Progressive scan confusion

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by apgibbo, Aug 2, 2005.

1. apgibbo

apgibbo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got this panel - over the moon with it but I have a slight confusion that someone may be aqble to clear up:

I understand that the screen is progressive scan and that works if a source is connected to a component add on board. However, I am not sure on a few other things. I have recently read that a PW7 adds progressive scan to any signal added to the TV eg Scart and also I use an HTPC through the VGA port and rge TV makes that input progressive too - what is right what is wrong?

Also, when I use the HTPC over the VGA port there seems to ne quite a lot of what I would call "pixel creep" i.e. the picture moves around unlike Sky or freeview on the scart which is a solid picture which never needs adjusting (up, down, left, right or even vertical/horizontal size). I thought it was a problem with the VGA port on the TV as the PC doesn't do this when connected to a monitor, however I also have a freeview box which uses VGA to connect and it is fine and doesn't move around - confusing - am I doing anything wrong? :confused:

Regards,

Adrian

P.S. Apologies for any confusion - I'm poor sighted so typing sensibly isn't easy

2. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +660
    Firstly, in the set up menu there is a screensaver feature called "wobbling" when using the PC input it is on by default, it moves the screen round by a few pixels to stop image retention.

The Panasonic is a progressive display, it will show everything you put into it in progressive, if you give it a progressive signal, like a progressive dvd, hi-def 720p, PC etc. it will no longer de-interlace itslef, it will just scale that image to the panels native resolution (864x480).
    A dvd is interlaced, 720x480i for ntsc and 720x576i for Pal, the panny has no choice but to show it de interlaced, the screen may do a better job than a cheap dvd player, it may even do a better job than an expensive dvd player, then again, it may not.
    Try it and see what works best.

You can also try using powerstrip to set your graphics card to 864x480, there is a timings exel document that will tell your the figures you need to enter to get it right, search google for "vesa timings excel" for it.
    Enter these and then adjust your H and V size and position and clock phase till it looks really sharp. You now have it pixel mapped.

Does that make sense?

3. apgibbo

apgibbo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It clears things up and reinforces what I understood until someone told me different. Thanks for clarifying matters.

Regards,

Adrian