th37pw7 vs hitachi 37 pd5200

sipian

Standard Member
Reaction score
Which one is better ? Mainly watch sky digital and have been told that the pana handles sky signals better than the hitachi. Seen them both against each other using DVD through component's and I thought the pana was better. The sky question is the big one though. I know the hitachi is high def ready but in a couple of years I suspect there will be a miriad of choice and I can upgrade then.
Any thoughts guys ?

Hitachi is not Hi-Def ready, lacks 720p@50Hz support and doesnt have HD pixel array (panasonic is not better in this respect) but should be cheaper depending what you are connecting.....and IMO better PQ others will disagree so you really need to go see both under same conditions to make the choice.

Thanks for that, looks like I may have been given duff info. The pana is roughly £1100 but then there's £400 for a tuner box (which I would only need for the connections) - £150 for a stand and then another £200 ish for a stand to stand the stand on (make sense !!!??)
I've heard of boards that can be plugged into the pana. I have a pioneer amp vsx c501 amp with 4 scarts on the back. I would like to hook my DVD player up on components and my sky through RGB scart - is this possible with the pana without spending £400 on the box ? I also have a pioneer HD/DVD recorder which would need a scart connector and I'd like to plug my x-box in to something as well - asking too much ? My other option is that I just buy the 36 pd 50 CRT set and be done with the whole plasma thing, but the screen size looks SOOO small next to the 37.
Like all the other newbies on here - apologies for all the questions, just looking to pick the brains of all you veterans out there.

forget the useless tuner mate waste of money and space..........read this thread relates to a 42" but explains how to connect using the Po 402 or 502 AMP (501 is an aold model........) have you been to sevenoaks by any chance? or Richer sounds? You can get floor stands for the panny........http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154292
have you also considered the TH-37PE30 Veira plasma TV?

PIo amp Pio DVD recorder speaker and eith scart for PW7 or a JS RGB>VGA will work great mate

Been to Sound and Vision in Bolton bud (4.5hr round trip, I live in a back water !!) They were actually quite informative but looks like you guys are a bit more clued up.
I'm off to Glasgow in the morning to continue my quest - took 3.5 days travel and cost approx £150 in petrol so far (plus countless hours of my mates trawling internet sites) so you can see I'm determined to make the right choice, hence the appreciation of the help.
Thanks again mate, any more advice welcomed.

JoeF - how do I contact him mate ? The lad I am going with is from Glasgow so knows his way around the city.

Looks like I am going to go with the pana pw 7. I am prob going with the 37 as the 42 may be a bit big (viewing distance 3 m ish) My question is where is the best deal ? I only need one scart input for sky and that should go through a converter (RGB to VGA) I believe which will then utilise the PC input.
Also then need component for the DVD player. The rest will go through my Pioneer amp.
So the question is, does anyone know where the best deal is out there ?
As ever help appreciated.

Once again, thanks to Hornydragon, has answered all my questions..you don't happen to know this Wednesday's lottery numbers by any chance do you ???

think you should have gon for the hitachi i had a dem of both and the hitachi looked so mutch better :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Just read a thread about the differences between the PW 7 and the PWD 7 that seem to indicate the D7 is for business use. It also however, appeared to state that in a lot of respects it was better. Is this the case ? I'm buying for home use but should I be buying the business screen ?

One final thing (I hope.) There is an awful lot of talk about lip sync issues with plasmas. As this is one of my pet hates am I likely to notice it ? Does it only affect certain sets ? Is the Pana one of those sets ? Can it be easily rectified ?
I would hate to spend £1500 to find that all the films I watch look like badly dubbed early 70's kung fu films (apart of course from all the early 70's kung fu movies I watch.)

it effects all (model and connection will determine how much) but is solvable in digital domain (stand alone device) but its not cheap so an AV amp with delay is essential mate..................Some broadcast systems are better than others and i only find it an issue on DTS (porbably my AMP) with DVD but with sky lip sync issues can start in the studio...........

hornydragon said:
Hitachi is not Hi-Def ready, lacks 720p@50Hz support and doesnt have HD pixel array (panasonic is not better in this respect) but should be cheaper depending what you are connecting.....and IMO better PQ others will disagree so you really need to go see both under same conditions to make the choice.

A mate of mine is looking into getting the 5200 with HDTV in mind.
I thought that it was hi-def ready?

This is from a recent article on HDTV Spec on Home Cinema Choice on line listing the required spec showing 720p@60Hz as ok (which the 5200 has)

* HD capable inputs accept the following HD video formats: 1280x720 @ 50 and 60Hz progressive ("720p"), and 1920x1080 @ 50 and 60Hz interlaced ("1080i")

ORIGINAL ARTICLE

Also what do you mean by 'HD pixel array' and how does this afftect 'HD TV readiness'?

Thanks

1024x768 minimum, ALIS (hitachi) are 1024x512x2..so do not have HD pixel array and it is 720 @ 50Hz on HDCP digital connection need to be HD ready (and important for UK as this is what sky are going to broadcast..............)

Considering the gazillion times the very same question about HDTV vs Hitachi/ALiS is posted every 2 threads (even one's on a totally different subject matter), I would think a good ole Sticky to cover it - once and for all - would be neat. Or? :)

dbrad, this is not directed to you btw (just in case you'd think so), there's been hundreds (literally) of posts asking the same basic questions, therefore my "suggestion"... ;)

BTW - the "HD Ready" label requires a display to have "at least 720 physical lines in Wide aspect ratio". The Hitachi's have 1024 physical lines. Ok, they're lit alternatively (every 17ms) but the "HD Ready" label doesn't require simultaneous activation of the display lines.
OTOH the 720p50 is an absolute requirement for the label, which the Hitachi's do not support. But neither do lots of other plasma displays in its price range. Beside, it's unclear at this stage how critical the lack of support for 720p50 will actually be, esp. if yr display has a DVI-HDCP or HDMi i/p and does support 1080i50.

BTW again, just found this news on the upcoming new gen Hitachi panels, the PD7200 series:
http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/shownews.php?id=7480

should be out in April, fully "HD Ready" they say :D , black bezel, 68 billion colours (vs millions on the PD5200), HDMi input (none on PD5200) AND DVi-HDCP, 3 Scart's (vs 1 on the PD5200), etc...

I was literally a phone call away from buying the plasma and now my worst fears are realised - lip sync issues !
When you say not cheap to fix, how much is not cheap ?
Also what type of amp has the delay on you refer to ?
I have a Pioneer VSX C501 - will that cut it ?
I can see all my plasma dreams going down the tubes here and reverting back to the Pana PD50 CRT set I was going to buy.

I've had my 37" PW7 fed from both TiVo (RGB SCART to the VGA input) and DVD (component Progressive scan) since the weekend. I've not noticed any lip-sync issues, and I was looking out for them after what I read here - personally I'm well chuffed with the purchase - even the missus likes it (another AV-sales happy customer :) )

*EDIT* Just noticed I'd set my centre channel to delay by 4ms(!)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom