1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TH37PW7 Connection questions

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by iandhd, Jun 2, 2005.

1. iandhd

iandhd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First of all I have to say what a great source of information this forum has been, when searching on the internet for anything AV all roads lead to this site. I’ve just taken the plunge into plasma and bought the Panasonic TH37PW7 from RS and I’d like to confirm my next steps are the most appropriate. Some of the time I’m really impressed :smashin: with the performance and occasionally pretty disappointed :thumbsdow

I’m connecting a

Panasonic DVD (Scart)
    Digifusion PVR (Scart)
    Panasonic VCR (Scart)

First off I’m going the ditch the tuner box (& possibly the surround sound gear. The sound is OK but I hate the look of the speakers - any recommendations would be great). I plan to get the JS RGB>VGA along with a Component - RCA board as I may upgrade DVD etc to one with component output. (So I’ll need a scart to RCA lead)

I already have a small scart switch box for the rare occasions I’ll need the VCR. Also I’ve got the DVE DVD on order for the £9.99 deal ;)

For cables I’ll go for ones about £30 a piece.
    (Should I use the optical connection for my DVD sound?)

Sorry a lot of newbie questions I know - Does this sound like the way to go?

Thanks,
    Ian. :thumbsup:

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    JS RGB>VGA wont work with VCR suggest you use JS RGB>VGA for DVD and PVR and get a dual slot board (component and composite/S-video) for VCR and possible new DVD player with component (component is rarely carried by scart) see posts by suasage1 for more info mate http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213029

PS welcome on board!!!!

3. iandhd

iandhd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the speedy reply :)

OK I see your point about the VCR :oops:

I did consider the dual slot but that takes up two slots and I've only got one slot left (because of the VGA input) :confused: If I ditch the VGA then there's no point in the RGB>VGA box. I wanted to avoid the scart slot since I read here that it's a bit soft.

I apologise if I'm being a bit thick. :suicide:

4. iandhd

iandhd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Doh, nope I get it. I'd get the JS RGB->COMPONENT TRANSCODER instead. I think I'm getting the hang of it now.

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    OK the 37 has 2 slots and VGA input, the tuner box interface board isnt VGA and can be removed and sold with the tuner box. so you have room for a dualslot and still have the built in VGA D-sub termainal that all PW plasmas have as standard, you wont have space for any other boards, but you will have RGB scart input (thanks to the JS box), BNC component input and Composite or S-video input, how many do you think you'll need? only complication is if you want to connect a PC

EDIT:
    can do that but see above you can have VGA and dual slot!

6. iandhd

iandhd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've evetually got around to ordering the twin board and the JS RGB->VGA box. Now I'm looking at cables. I've bought a QED AV2110 scart for the DVR to JS but now I'm not sure what I need for the JS to the plasma. I see that JS Tech do a premium VDC VGA lead for RGB to Plasma VGA but at £35 plus P&P that seems quite a lot. What are my options and would I notice the difference over standard?