TH37PE50B teething problems.

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by slartibartfast!, Mar 23, 2006.

1. slartibartfast!

slartibartfast!
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Had my nice new TV for a week now and generally I'm quite pleased with it apart from a couple of problems that i can't get over.

TV scart connections.
    AV1 =RGB in,-------------video in and out.
    AV2 =-------S video in,---video in and out.
    AV3 =RGB in,-S video in,--video in and out.

I have my Panasonic sky box connected into AV1.
    Our games consoles connected to AV3 via a vivanco scart adaptor.
    both these connections are used to get the benefit of RGB.

My problem is when i try to connect my old VCR to the AV2 position. The picture (from video playback) is very grainy and in black and white.
    I tried a different scart cable with no effect. I also tried plugging the VCR into one of the other AV positions and then i got what i would call an acceptable picture.(Colour).

So I'm unsure what the problem could be , either a faulty AV2 socket on the TV or incorrect connection between VCR and TV. (Sony video recorder has only scart connections to use though).

Anybody got any ideas :lease:

My second niggle is the general PQ with my TV.
    There seems to be a slight green tint come blur on certain moving outlines. Almost like the picture isn't refreshing quickly enough leaving a green shadow as things move quickly across the screen.
    This happens with sky and DVD inputs (component for DVD, AV1 for sky).
    I use QED cabling here so this shouldn't be the problem.

This is my first plasma TV so if this is a common trait for these screens then hopefully someone out there will put me straight.:confused:

Cheers for any advice or help :smashin:

2. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +759
    I take it your Sky box is set up correctly i.e. RGB set to on and scart control set to on, and that your PE50 is set to Normal in picture setup and not Dynamic as this can be a bit OTT. With regards to your VCR are you selecting the green button on your remote to view the VCR? If you are, make sure that you only press this once as pressing it twice will select Svideo and give you a horrible black and white wavy picture. Also check that your videos RF frequency does not require some adjustment and that the video channel is correctly tuned in. I went from a Panasonic CRT t.v. to the PE50 but I had to retune my video channel.

3. Matt306

Matt306

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Have you still got the picture in dynamic mode? It made my eyes bleed! Put it in cinema mode enable the colour management, p-nr and mpeg nr to max. Don't forget to apply these settings on each input.

As for the VCR make sure the input is on AV2 not AV2/S. Grainyness is going to be unavoidable as the quality of VHS is going to show up on a big screen.

4. Matt306

Matt306

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    beaten by a minute :D

5. stevie_mc

stevie_mc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got the same greeny blur effect on my pv500, its most noticable when playing video games, especially FPS games where there is fast camera movements to the left or right.

In a way I'm glad that someone else has noticed this as at least I know I'm not going mad. I've already reported mine to the retailer as a fault and they have agreed to exchange the set if I can find a store in the local area with one in stock.

6. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +759
    Now I along with many others do the opposite on noise reduction i.e. p-nr and mpeg nr either off or set to minimum as turning them up softens the picture as well as causing loss of detail. If you get a good signal these picture tweaks should not really be necessary.

7. slartibartfast!

slartibartfast!
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thank you for your prompt replies Faust and Matt306.:thumbsup:

Yes i have the picture set to cinema and have had ago at tweaking contrast, brightness and colour with no great succsess.

As for pressing the green button once and not twice you might be onto something, as i didn't realise this happened .:rolleyes:
    Will try this option tomorrow.

Cheers again for the info.

8. slartibartfast!

slartibartfast!
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    :hiya:
    Couldn't wait till tomorrow. Had to have a play with the VCR tonight.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Success, we now have colour on the VCR , such a simple remedy when you know how.:suicide:

That just leaves the PQ issues.

Funnily enough i haven't noticed it with games or animated films as much. More with faces and body outlines in fast moving action films.

ONE DOWN ONE TO GO !

9. slartibartfast!

slartibartfast!
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I still believe that my TV screen may have a problem .
    The symptoms being as described earlier in this section .

After watching a DVD this evening it seems to me that the screen may not be refreshing the picture fast enough leaving a greenish shadow /smear for a moment to long following moving objects across the screen, not on all obects but it is noticeable.

Picture settings are roughly:
    ---------------------------contrast 40%
    ---------------------------colour 40%
    ---------------------------brightness 40%
    ---------------------------colour balance normal
    ---------------------------sharpness 35%
    ---------------------------picture enhancements off

As i have said before this is my first plasma TV so if this apparent blurry effect is a common problem with these screens could someone let me know.

Any other helpful comments about PQ issues with plasma screens are most welcome.

10. slartibartfast!

slartibartfast!
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1