1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TH37PE50, Good deal ?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by scottmacd, Sep 14, 2005.

1. scottmacd

scottmacd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just purchased a TH37PE50 from John Lewis with free DVD recorder, Panny DMRES10, free 5 year warranty and delivery all for £1495, I'm interested to see what you all think of the deal, it was the 5 year garantee that swung it for me. :smashin: :thumbsdow

I'm also looking for advice reguarding a wall mount (best one?), and what cables to get (make & type?), I have telewest cable and the above DVD player, any advice would be very much appreciated. TIA

Scott

2. tscotsman

tscotsman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    great tv as long as youre not interested in HD.

3. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    wasnt it for sale at ebuyer for £999 for a while? seems a bit steep at £1500 even with 5 yr guarantee. for that you could get hi def samsung, but the pe50 would probably be better quality with SD material.

4. SteveG

SteveG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    £1149 at www.sselectricals.com with delivery and wall-bracket. No DVD Recorder though. Will JL do pricematches after purchase?

5. scottmacd

scottmacd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, Thanks for the replys, looked into this buy long and hard, yes, e-buyer were doing the panny for £999 (now £1199 plus P&P only available with pedestal), but no DVD recorder (worth between £144 & £229) and no 5 year guarantee (worth between £300 & £500). Anyway the cheapest I could find the TV was £1115.31 with none of the above from empire direct, although it did have a wall mount.

I am not really interested in HDTV either as I mostly watch DVDs, so to me it wasn't a bad buy.

Any info on wall mount and cables ?

TIA

Scott

6. mskim

mskim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    Purchased a TH37PE50 with Pedestal stand from John Lewis inc free DVD recorder, Panny DMRES10, free 5 year warranty.
    Pricematche (Sound & vision) paid £1260.00.
    U have 28 days to pricematche.

7. DJT75

DJT75
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,180
    scottmacd:

I went the ebuyer £999 way, 37PE50 1 year warranty & free wall mount. I would suggest purchasing the actual panasonic wall mount (sorry, don't know the model number off hand) - it's pretty slim & a piece of cake to fit.

Cables wise - I'm waiting for my IXOS 601 Scarts to be delivered tomorrow - my £4 supermarket's are OK but not brilliant.

IXOS 601 (3 metres) on www.electicshop.com - £34.99 each with free delivery (by far the cheapest I could find on the net, everywhere else £40+ delivery.

I just have Sky & a DVD player going into it, 2 Scarts, 1 Power cable, that's it...If you search my threads, I have some wall mount installation photos for you..

Good Luck

8. Ade848

Ade848

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just bought exactly the same package from John Lewis - I wanted the 5 Year Warranty too.

Will only be hooking up Sky and DVD, maybe use my old Sony Surround System but I might sell depending on sound quality.

Word of advice: See if you can get a retrospective Price Match. This forum pointed me in the direction of Hi Fi Confidential in London. If you are near price match them (£1169 - Delighted to get all that for the money)

9. Ade848

Ade848

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Pricematched Indentical System to Hi Fi Confidential £1169.00

10. dickst3

dickst3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Ade 848,

Wow!

What package and where for £1,169?

11. dickst3

dickst3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    They don't have a website?

I believe I bought a Teac system and Mission speakers from them a fews years back.

okay, i just phoned Hi Fi. Basic sets £1,099 and £1,249 so no cheaper than anywhere else (more expensive) or do you haggle?!!!

12. scottmacd

scottmacd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the info folks, saved £40 on cables already, do JL still pricematch on retailers that don't offer the 5 year guarantee, and does the retailer have to be local, I printed out the offer from the JL site & went in & paid cash in the Edinburgh store, although they didn't have the offer advertised in the shop, so don't really know where I will stand with a pricematch. :rolleyes:

TIA

Scott

13. mskim

mskim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  14. Ade848

Ade848

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    www.hificonfidential.co.uk

I know they are same price as everywhere else but I wanted 5 year warranty figuring its got to be worth £350, so I got JL to pricematch. They do take into account delivery hence £1169. But 5 year warranty and dvd recorder basically thrown in. - result as far as I am concerned. Only gutted that they wouldn't price match the 42" as Hi Fi do not have a model on display.

These plasmas are getting affordable now. A friend of mine paid nearly £2500 for a 42" Panny PE30 about 9 months ago, he's gonna be gutted when he sees what less than £1200 buys nowadays.

Anyone got any advice on how to connect. I have two fairlt decent Scarts but should I connect the DVD using component cables???

15. scottmacd

scottmacd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info Ade, will look into this today, fingers crossed. :thumbsup:

I spoke to someone at AV Sales and the said to use component outputs from DVD to TV (best quality picture) but I would also need a scart for the sound.

Hope this helps, if in any doubt phone AV Sales and speak to someone there, very helpful.

Regards Scott

16. dickst3

dickst3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Ade

Thanks for the website, I tried a search and couldn't find one. :thumbsup:

I really want a wall mount inc. and the 5 yr warranty doesn't really interest me usually because you pay so much but if its free...

I also don't want to order from digital direct and then wait months.

Too many variables! :eek:

17. scottmacd

scottmacd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I phoned JL and asked them to pricematch Hi Fi Confidentials price of £1169 and also gave them Sound & visions price of £1189 with a wall mount, fingers crossed, I'll let yall know how I get on. Thanks for all the help.

Regards Scott.

18. scottmacd

scottmacd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all :thumbsup:

Just had a call from JL saying they will match Hi Fi at £1179 :clap: Must be the deal of the century, I know where I'm shopping from now on with customer service like that, brilliant ! Anyway thanks for all the help folks, you saved me a load of cash ! :D :smashin: :clap:

Thanks again

Regards Scott

19. Ade848

Ade848

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fantastic Scott, Glad to be of Help.

Mines coming on the 3rd October - have you got yours yet?

Let us know how you grt on and any tips would be great. :clap:

20. andye2004

andye2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Which JL did the price match?

21. scottmacd

scottmacd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It was John Lewis Edinburgh branch that done the pricematch, I've been away and bought a surround sound set up with some of the money I saved, still can't believe the deal I got from them thanks to you guys. :thumbsup:

The only tips I can give you Ade is if you get a wall mount from AV Sales make sure you get the correct brackets to bolt on to TV and longer bolts as mine didn't fit (when bolted on, brought mount above screen). Phoned AV Sales who were very helpful and contacted manufacturer who are sending me modified brackets and longer bolts. :suicide: So I haven't even turned my TV on yet! :rolleyes:

Regards Scott

22. billym

billym

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    scottymacd, I've also been thinking of getting a panasonic plasma from JLP in Edinburgh too. Did JLP price match against web prices as I can't see any Hi Fi Confidentials or Sound & visions stores in Edinburgh?

23. scottmacd

scottmacd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    JL will match the price of any UK Shop (not internet only, has to have a showroom), this shop has to have the product on display with a price ticket, JL would not match Sound and Vision as they work in a different way but they gladly matched HiFi Confidentials shop price in London for £1179 and I had already bought the TV from JL, hope this helps. I believe both shops have yo have the product in stock as well, ie. JL & HiFi and they lump the delivery on HiFi's price. Let me know how you get on. :hiya:

Regards Scott

24. billym

billym

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Scott - that's great you managed to get them to price match a shop in London; did you just phone the shop up to get the price and pass the details on to JLP to check? I just checked the Hi-Fi Confidential website and they don't seem to include the DVD player with their package, how did you manage to swing that with JLP too?

25. Ade848

Ade848

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got JL in Watford to price match with Hi Fi basically using advice from this forum. Gladly passed on to Scott, what a deal eh?

I noticed that Hi Fi didnt include the DVD recorder and wasn't really expecting one when I made the Price Match enquiry before ordering - was chuffed when it was included.

Not long know til it is delivered.

26. Mac07

Mac07
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hey guys,
    im also gonna get the pe50 and dmr es10, letsgodigital are doing the 37in with free dvd for £1114 with free delivery.
    What i'm after though is info on connection. I have telewest cable box plus the plasma and dvd. From reading on here i gather that component is best for dvd to tv for picture but also a scart needed for sound, would a cheapish scart do the job if i was to get an expensive component cable???
    and a decent RGB scart from cable box to tv.

Any help would be much appreciated :thumbsup: