TH37PE50 and Dynamic picture mode

Faust

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I have noticed a number of posts stating that running a Viera Plasma in Dynamic mode will shorten the panels life....why? and is this advice simply for the running in period (which by the way Panasonic have said is not necessary with their G8 panels) or is Dynamic mode not recommended full stop? If it does shorten the life of the panel is anyone able to quantify by how much?? As a new owner of the TH37PE50 I would appreciate answers to these questions. By the way, my panel is as quiet as the proverbial church mouse i.e. no buzzing or humming, and the PQ is breathtakingly good. Having had an LCD on test last year, I know that for me I have made the right choice in choosing Plasma.

apart from anything else dynamic is dreadful......really artificial levels of brightness and colour.......and a totally unrealistic picture

mep said:
apart from anything else dynamic is dreadful......really artificial levels of brightness and colour.......and a totally unrealistic picture

Now I would say the opposite, I've tweaked the contrast colour and brightness in Dynamic mode and I find that setting just about perfect.

Dynamic mode has contrast at getting on for maximum - not good for image retention, panel life or indeed a decent looking picture. Lined up next to the opposition in Curry's it may well give a "brighter" picture and will probably sell. Hence why the manufacturers send out their panels on dynamic mode.

You have bought a good plasma - chill out, enjoy it.

Glad to hear that you have got a quiet one - they vary, I have had both ends of the range and the latest seems to be on the noisy side.

well I know you'll just do what you want anyway :)...out of interest what settings have you got with dynamic?

I got the TH37PE50 a few weeks ago and mine is as quiet as a mouse, the PQ is superb to, my question is, are the settings Dynamic, normal and cinema just about how high you have the contrast, brightness, colour, sharpness and the others? will cinema be dynamic if the settings are turned up to dynamic settings? or are there other things to make them different.

jinkyjim said:
I got the TH37PE50 a few weeks ago and mine is as quiet as a mouse, the PQ is superb to, my question is, are the settings Dynamic, normal and cinema just about how high you have the contrast, brightness, colour, sharpness and the others? will cinema be dynamic if the settings are turned up to dynamic settings? or are there other things to make them different.

Now that is a very good question indeed, and one I would love to know the answer to - no guessing people, informed answers only please.

hi i have this panel also-very quiet, great pic and me too find that dynamic mode is the best pic, having tweaked the settings.
footys best in cinema mode, u dont notice the motion blur too much.
i also have a 26 in sharp pe50, which is equal to my panny, and better with the footy.

Faust said:
Now that is a very good question indeed, and one I would love to know the answer to - no guessing people, informed answers only please.

I have a pe30 and played around with the settings a lot when I first got it.
Setting the contrast/brightness etc to x (the same) in both Dynamic and Cinema (or anything else) does not give the same picture. There are underlying settings in each option, for example, I think Dynamic has a higher underlying contrast setting.

I, too, started in Dynamic but turned the settings down a bit, because that gave a picture I liked most.

I have since had it isf'd and it's now even better. ceratinly worth the money if you watch it a lot.

Faust, one other thing, I see you mentioned the e30 DVDR elsewhere. I have this but thought about a player giving a better picture rather than a recorder. I got a Limit 900se and this gives a significantly better picture than the e30. You don't have to spend much to get a significantly better dvd picture. Depends how much you watch dvd I suppose.

Owen.

Faust said:
Now I would say the opposite, I've tweaked the contrast colour and brightness in Dynamic mode and I find that setting just about perfect.
Hi Faust. I have the 42PE50. Interestingly when I first got it 3 weeks ago, I thought dynamic mode looked great. Then I started comparing the real world with my screen and realised that dynamic is artificial looking. My advice would be to compare scenes and colours witht he colours surrounding your plasma. I think you may find that cinema or normal do reproduce real life more accurately than dynamic.
As an aside, I love the PQ with progressive output via component. The other day Gladiator was on TV and I was flicking between the two pictures. PQ was markedly (and very satisfyingly) different.

I had a 37pe50 for about 3 months and then bought a 42pv500 as i really want the best hd viewing from my panny panels, the pe50 i think had a better pic from my sky+ than the pv500 but i think thats just down to screen size being a bit bigger. I do think though that sometimes on dynamic mode they do look better, more vivid. but as noted here it looks artificial which isn't a bad thing sometimes. All personal preferance i think, and i dont for one minute think that using dynamic mode will shorten the life of a panel that much to realisticly worry about it.

Thanks for all the info, I have put the Panny into normal mode tonight, but before I did so I checked the Dynamic settings. I think it is right that there are some underlying settings, as checking off the sliders in Dynamic and Normal I had moved the sliders in Dynamic to almost exactly the same as Normal factory presets and yet the picture altered noticeably. Regarding my getting another DVD player instead of using my E30. You are probably right, however, this is not a cost issue - I have had to take one of the glass shelves out of the floor stand as it is to accommodate all my kit, and there really is not anymore room for even the slimmest of DVD players. I would have to put it on the floor somewhere and that would look just plain awful. Perhaps when I finally remove my VCR then I will revisit this option. I use the VCR to tape Sky progs for the Mrs to watch in another room whilst she is ironing. Well it's either that or I iron my own shirts. :eek:

I use dynamic mode for my xbox, this gives me the best picture and thats the way it's gonna stay until someone gives me different settings. :)

RHCP said:
I use dynamic mode for my xbox, this gives me the best picture and thats the way it's gonna stay until someone gives me different settings. :)

although the screen seems pretty bomb proof, you may be provoking screen burn using dynamic and xbox at the same time. just a thought :)

mep said:
why not record to dvd?

I do record using -Ram discs which she can watch on her Panny DVD player. However, she is always that far behind with programmes that I end up putting them on tapes as well - believe me it's not worth the arguments. :suicide:

chedmaster said:
although the screen seems pretty bomb proof, you may be provoking screen burn using dynamic and xbox at the same time. just a thought :)

Hey Chedmaster, played halo 2 for about 10 hours friday no image retention at all! :)

I do like playing with fire though :devil:

Hey Chedmaster, played halo 2 for about 10 hours friday no image retention at all!

:eek: :thumbsup: :) Woww, you played a game for 10 hours non-stop in Dynamic mode, on a plasma ?! and there was no hint of image retention (leave alone screen burn) ?? !!! that is awesome! I bet you couldn't have done that had you gone for that Hitachi 6600 , RHCP ? :) I remember that time you were cursing Currys for refusing your order, in hindsight i suppose you must feel it was a blessing in disguise! :D - likewise myself, i cancelled the Hitachi 6600 after seeing a logo burnt on my mate's 6600 and have no regrets whatsoever...I would have done the same even if Currys had offered me the Hitachi 6600 at £800! not after seeing the horrific screen burn that i did, that was Hitachi off my list ..

But yes, It really does feel good to know that i've made the right choice here by going for the 42PE50... one that'll hopefully give me the best combination of picture quality and peace of mind on a plasma that I can get..

Not much into gaming myself and havent played Halo 2, but i'm assuming surely it would be much more risky to play a game for 10 hrs , than watch Cbeebies or Nickeloden for 5-6 hrs without flicking the channel.. no? (then again i suppoe in this case, you have a static logo on screen which doesnt move at all.. where as in the game, the screen does change from time to time.. or does it remain static in any part?)

In Xbox live the game can last for 30 mins then you go back to the lobby for a couple of minutes while the xbox sorts out your next battle then your off killing Americans again :devil: (god, Americans can be irritating on xbox live, constant BullS in your earpiece)!

I must admit, while I've taken the plunge.. I am still a touch worried about what might happen if i'm off to work and the kids are at home and decide to watch something like Cbeebies or Nickeloden for 7-8 hrs on the trot... --- probably a stupid thing to ask (lol), but has anyone actually tried this on a plasma ? ie, watched a channel with a logo for 7-8 hrs and if so, any retention/burn ?? i just get this impression that plasmas are not designed to cope with this sort of viewing... but really hope the Panasonic 42PE50 proves me wrong!

like ive said before, teletext all day (surely the ultimate screen burner) on sunday last week, game at about 11.30 all through to about 7pm, not a hint of retention. i was not happy, parents won't believe me about screen burn, so leave it on!

Brilliant! and thats the good old PW4! :) surely the G8 panels in the 42PE50 can't be much worse than the PW4 in terms of retention/burn resistance... if not better?!

I guess there again it goes to show that once you've used the plasma for well over 1000 hours which i'm sure your parents have chedmaster (i'm guessing since the plasma's in a pub.. and PW4 sounds quite old, might even have been used for several thousand hrs?) - a Panasonic plasma perhaps really does become CRT-like resistant to retention/burn..

BTW chedmaster... out of interest, given that your PW4 has been used for a while it seems... have you noticed any deterioration in the picture ? ie, any dimming or noticeable loss of brightness?

bout 1200 hrs i think - we cancelled corporate sky because it was way too expensive (think £700 a month :eek: ), we couldn't get Sky+ or mutliroom. or movie channels. or box office. in fact, it sucked. This means we barely use it. im in the process of offering the parents money for it after the 2006 world cup :thumbsup:

It came out in 2002, and was widely regarded as the best built panny :thumbsup:

Edit: No deterioration whatsoever, in fact, I turned the brightness and contrast down to about 40% and 45% recently. I can't really judge the picture very well, its only ever had an RF feed apart from xbox :(. I might take my dvd player down and check out component, see if i should up my bid for it.

I'll also add, after my schools "Dinner Dance" a year ago, when I didn't know screen burn was bad, I had a lock in with a load of mates over night ( :D ) and we left the Pulp fiction dvd menu on for about 3 hours by mistake, and then played burnout for the rest of the night

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom