Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

th37pe30 inc cabinet stand and dvd recorder - £2099

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by hornet_boys, Nov 7, 2004.

1. hornet_boys

hornet_boys
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to let others know that I have just purchased a th37pe30 inc cabinet stand and the DMRE55 dvd recorder for £2099 from John Lewis in Welwyn Garden City.

There is no price match involved as £2099 is now the advertised price in that store.

The display stated that it comes with the free cabinet stand worth £399 but a polite request with an assistant confirmed that it also included the free dvd recorder (or £250 off a dmre85).

This is the cheapest price I have come across that specifically states you get the cabinet and dvd recorder with it, although as I mention below you can get the TV alone for a cheaper price. Take into account the free 5 year guarantee and I reckon I saved almost £700 from any other retailer.

I have also chanced my arm by asking them to price match H Preston who sell the TV for £1885 and if that goes through they will reimburse me the difference.

Hope this may help others who are experiencing problems with JL doing price matches.

Lastly they also had the th42pe30 with free stand and same dvd recorder for about £2500 if I remember correctly - but don't quote me on the price.

2. Andy C

Andy C
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Congrats on your purchase, it's a great TV.

Good news for those still looking to buy too. JL probably got fed up of having to constantly check prices. :)

3. hornet_boys

hornet_boys
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Andy - Dont get it delivered until next Saturday :( but i am one excited chappy.

I've been doing alot of research as I have been after one of these (or the pwd6) for ages and the picture quality, even in JL was outstanding.

4. lee-s

lee-s

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    very good price on the screen m8, jl bluewater have also dropped there instore price on the 37" but only to £2500

they have also changed the instore ad, now it says free stand OR dvd player....

anychance anyone can confirm the 42" price instore @ welwyn?

5. hornet_boys

hornet_boys
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    JL Welwyn phone number is 01707 323456.

Spoke to someone called Danny (who is a phone operator not part of the TV sales team) who confirmed the deal before I made my way over there.

6. Twilliams

Twilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well, that was a good deal mate, My thread under panny high street deal is the same deal as yours from my local john Lewis, but there stated price was £2399. can you tell me who they matched there price with to get that deal so I can get my john Lewis to drop there price too, Am wondering if all I have to say is your store WIGC) is doing it for £2099 and my is £2399 they should match there own stores even if there not local? im in Manchester.
    Is this set a better or worse set compared to the PW6 or PW7 or is it in between the two?
    ;) cheers Trev

7. hornet_boys

hornet_boys
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Trev

Because of the research I had done I knew that Panasonic were offering the free cabinet stand and dvd recorder.

I phoned JL in Watford who confirmed the price of the TV as being £2099, I enquired if there was any deals currently available as the JL website said the TV came with a free stand and recorder (although at £2900!!) and after alot of searching the lady stated she or the TV dept could find no offers.

I then rang JL in Welwyn and spoke to another lady she confirmed the price £2099 but was unsure of current deals and so took my number and got Danny her colleague to call me.
    Danny was excedingly helpfull and knew of the deal confirming that the TV came with both a stand and dvd recorder he also confirmed all items were in stock at their warehouse. I asked about price matching other retailers and he said that as the stand and recorder were freebies I could try to price match the price of the TV only i.e. £2099. I knew from others on this forum that H Prestons have been price matched before so thought I may as well try to get another £200 off (less delivery charges). I will not know if my attempt to price match is sucessfull until the under writing team access the claim.
    It was also confirmed with Danny that JL will price match another one of their stores but will not price match their own internet website (which is run as an independant business)

I cannot confirm how this set compares with the PW6/PW7 overall but it is an easier set up for the novice - 3 scarts (2 rgb enabled) and component inputs around the back and a whole array of other connections under the front panel,which more than suits my requirements. Also the speakers are built in so no need to buy a seperate amp and speakers.

However the 5 year guarantee always persuades me to go with JL wherever possible and this alone is worth £350 minimum compared to prices quoted elsewhere.

8. lee-s

lee-s

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    anybody who wants a 42" viera + dvd + stand hassle free for £2509 should just phone Danny! After the agro i had trying to get JL bluewater to pricematch i wish i hadnt bothered in the first place!! then to top it all i had someone from bluewater call today and ask if i still wanted to go thru with the transaction!!! errrr no ive actually bought it from another branch that were more helpful :rotfl:

picking mine up myself this saturday, thanks to hornet_boy & everybody else whos helped in my search for this tv :smashin:

roll on the weekend!

9. Twilliams

Twilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got letter From JLwelyn today, screen and dvd are reserved, but stands not due in till 7/12th oh my god i can't wait that long, having a party in a couple of weeks, need it to show off :D ....maybe have to ungrade to the 42" if they available...He he he dont think the mrs will get the tape mesure out...do you? :nono:

10. cwoj

cwoj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I called all the JL stores regarding the price for the 42". The results are posted in John Lewis Pricematching (General Chat)

11. louis cypher

louis cypher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi,

I just phoned JL Brent X, who are quoting the 37PE30 at £2799 exc.dvd & stand.

On mentioning JL Welwyn's £2099 deal, I was told 'different branches have different prices' but that I could order the item from JL Brent X at £2099 & have it brought there from Welwyn branch for me to collect.

But if I want to buy at Brent X & just take it home in the car there & then: £2799.

Are they completely hatstand????

I was hoping to buy before Christmas, but now I think I'll wait to see if this nuttyness sorts itself out in the New Year. :laugh:

12. blindlemon

blindlemon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ring JL Welwyn and reserve it at £2099. Then ring Brent X and tell them you have it reserved at Welwyn for that price and would like them to price-match. Give them the reservation number. They are pretty much obliged to match their own stores.

13. lee-s

lee-s

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    but beware as they may try and slip out of the free stand & dvd player as bluewater did to me

barstewards