TH37PA30 Viera connections

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by DAS, Feb 14, 2005.

1. DAS

DAS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

In advance of my Viera purchase next month, I would appreciate any advice on what cables would get the most out of my otherwise moderate system.

I have a low price DVD/VCR and external speaker package as well as a Telewest cable box. Currently I use scart cables to connect both the cable and DVD?VCR, but would I be better off using anything else? My DVD does not have component video but does have S-video. Would I get a better picture out of that, compared to buying better scart leads which I intend to do? (my DVD manual says S-video gives a btter picture than scart). If so what leads do I need?

The speakers aren't really a problem as I connect them directly to both the DVD/VCR and the cable box and already get good sound.

I have now seen this screen cheapest at Digital Point. Has anyone had any experience of their service?

Many thanks

David

2. kingkerouac

kingkerouac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got my Panny from Digital Point, albeit a 42", but their service was quick, good and highly recommended. (the TV is great as well)
    Regards
    Kieran

3. wicket

wicket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    If your dvd player can output RGB via scart then this is the option to pick, second option is s-video then finally composite. If your player can only do the two latter options connect via s-video.

The Viera has two RGB scarts which would take the dvd player and the cable box (if this can output in RGB), the other scart can take the vcr.

If connecting via s-video you would be best buying a scart cable that has a s-video plug at one end and a s-video scart in the other, and connect this to av2 on the Viera, this is the s-video scart input. I think it does have another s-video input on the front of the tv but this wouldn't look very nice.

4. DAS

DAS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies

My DVD has a scart but I don't think it ouputs RGB (no mention in the manual). Should I therefore go the s-video route?

I'm in a dilemma over who to get it from. Digital Point is about £100 cheaper which would pay for the cables, but I've been very impressed with the efficient pre-sales asisstance from AV Sales. They say that other suppliers import their sets which has warranty implications. Has anyone heard about this?

David

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Well you need to be sure if it goes wrong or the missus wants to divorce you aver it that your retailer will be sympathetic and like all retailers you can barter so why not ask if can get some free cables...

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    GUYS i have just noticed you are talking PA30 panasonics (EURO model the PA30 was never released in UK) UK model is TH-42PE30 the PA have no digital tuner.....Quite a biug difference for an IDTV!!!!!PA30 is a Euro import AV-sales as far as i know only sell the TH-42PE30B UK models and not Grey import PA30 models! PA30 will be RTB warranty not on site and lower SPEC, please do not compare a PA30 and PE30 and think they are the same......they are not

7. DAS

DAS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I must admit my searches have only brought up a PE30 and I have never come across the PA30.

AV Sales offered 10% off cables, but that's negligible. They also offered to refund the 1.4% credit card charge for using a debit card but I prefer the additional security of credit cards, not to mention a few airmiles! Having said that, I am leaning towards AV Sales.

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    so why did you state PA30 in title of your post.....Digital point site is so useless i cant find either PE30 or PA30!!!! but kingkerouac seems to refer to a PA30 he bought from Digital point!!! SO beware if it is a PA30 its very ball game!

9. DAS

DAS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry for that. It was a typo, pure and simple.

Apologies for the confusion (and thanks for the advice).

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    the 37PA30 they list looks like a Euro import... However they list the 42PE30?!?!?! Go Figure...

11. detzen99

detzen99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This comment is correct for most plasma panels but not for the Viera.

In the case of Viera you should prefer composite, second option is s-video.
    The reason for this "illogical order" is the following:

The RGB data goes (more or less) directly to the screen.

Only with composite and S-video data all those nice little picture enhancers (real black drive, acuity, 3D comb ...) will start working !
    E.g. in the picture menu "3D comb" is only available if you do not use RGB input on AV1 or AV4.

Try with your favourite DVD and change the output settings of your DVD player from RGB to S-video to composite - you will see the difference quite clearly!

Regards
    Andreas

12. DAS

DAS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that new info.

As my DVD does not have RGB output, do I have to use AV2 or AV3 or does it not matter? In other words, if I use an RGB AV socket on the plasma, will it make any difference?

Thanks

David

13. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    not if DVD payer doesnt have RGB out RGB scart that is component is different despite being 3 RCA cables coloured red green and blue... (get an E55 for £150 while you are it much better an perfect for E55)

AND i disagree with andreas and his reasoning while the viera does use the PD30 chassis it is not picture enhancements that effect the performance......but the fact the PD30 chassis doesnt handle RGB Scart very well due to it being an adapted US market design.....