1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TH-50PHD8 or PDP-506XDE for HTPC

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by stereo, Aug 31, 2005.

1. stereo

stereo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

There's been a lot of discussion on different plasmas for HTPC use in this forum. However, now that the new 50" HD models from Pio and Panny are about to hit the stores, I would like to know the pros and cons of their HTPC quality before making the move and ordering one.

As far as I've understood (based on the specs in the net, discussions in this forum), neither of these models does support native resolution at 50Hz via digital (HDMI or DVI) input. But what is the situation with analogue signal? Does either of them support native at analog 50Hz? This would be one of the main dividers between these two screens.

Another topic is the quality of the analog input -- is there possibly some difference between the VGA input of Panny and Pio in terms of picture quality? I've understood that the quality of commercial Pannys' analog inputs is very good. How about the same with Pioneers?

One more thing about the native resolutions.. 50" Panny has rectangular pixels whereas Pio is not exactly a 16x9 screen (1280x768). Is Pio's resolution a problem in PC use, for example how difficult is it to get the aspect ratio fixed while watching DVDs on HTPC? Are there any other issues that should be considered while making the decision between these two for HTPC use.

Comments are very welcome!!

Thanks,

Stereo

2. Rahmorak

Rahmorak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    For PQ quality we won't really know until the screens have hit the streets.

Having the ability to use Native Res (even if it is only @60Hz) is very desirable imo, on my Fuji 50 the difference between Native res and 720p upscaled is huge, the windows desktop goes from incredibly crisp to slightly fuzzy (the same as running a laptop at non-native).
    It also leaves the option to go with a video processor at later date,

Ratio/distortion wise, I am not sure how much you will notice the difference between 1280x768 and 1366x768 when running applications but I doubt it will be very noticeable. When watching video feeds you could just feed a 720p or 1080i/p signal instead, alternatively you can get software to compensate for the slightly different aspect ratio if it bothers you.

1366x7688 = 16:9 (square pixels)
    1280x768 = 15:9
    1024x768 = 12:9

Seeing as how many people are perfectly happy with 14:9 zooming (unfortunately I am not one of them**) you may not find 15:9 an issue.

So.. pretty inconclusive really until someone gets to play with them ;)

Rahmo

** - I will never understand why so many people pay thousands of pounds for the best picture they can afford, then watch 4:3 material with people stretched all over the place. Especially when many of these same people generally want a 1.85:1/2.35:1 anamorphic dvd to get as close to the intended viewing experience as possible.

*baffled*

*dons flamesuit*

3. nicke20

nicke20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    ah the Mr Potato Head look, i too hate 4/3 material flattened into a 16/9 frame because " i bought it and am going to use it all"

how silly