1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TH-50PHD7 HD Options

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Mr Eddy, Jun 20, 2005.

1. Mr Eddy

Mr Eddy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    So bearing in mind the boards that this supports, what are the 720p 1080i and 1080p options, chances?

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Your options are, any signal you like at 60Hz, only 576p@50Hz, if we are talking digital. It supports every signal under the sun on analogue inputs. In short, you will need a HDCP compatible scaler to frame rate convert Sky HD or HDMI DVD signals from 720p@50Hz. Chances are that HD-DVD will be 60Hz anyway. Some folks have issues with frame rate conversion, for others it's no big deal, and needs pointing out before they see it. Had this conversation on Saturday with a forum member, we tried it backwards, forwards and had to admit the golf balls moved in little stutters if you watched that closely, but if you had a life, you might not worry at all!

3. Andrew_P_S

Andrew_P_S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mr Eddy

Also have this screen, bought in the knowledge of the 50Hz issue - but finding life to short to wait for the 8 series.

MAW is right on the digital input, and the solution may well depend on your aversion to the judder created by frame rate conversion.

Personally - I don't like it, and can see it, particularly in panning shots. There are however other analogue solutions to the issue. I have an HDCP compatable DVI to VGA converter, which will avoid FRC and the associated judder. It has worked on everything I have thrown at it so far, so see no reason why it will not with SKY HD, although until it actually arrives, will not be 100% certain.

Recent quotes from SKY however do say that early HD boxes will have component out for ALL of their HD broadcasts.

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    Andrew; Please can you direct me to these recent quotes from Sky? I suppose they couuld have component out for all HD broadcasts.....just they might be downrezed to ED......

G

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Andrew, the HDCP stripper you have is as you know a technically 'illegal' device. Not preaching here naturally, be clear about that. The problem is in the encryption system built in to HDCP. One day, the HDCP guys will notice that these devices are commonplace, and could take action. This action might easily be to revoke they keys of all chipsets with the same user key, so if you get a ravening horde of AV enthusiasts battering your door down with a big hairy rope in their hands, (their DVD players stopped working) you have been warned! More likely is that it will one day mysteriously cease to funcion, and you will go buy a new one if you still need it. I think marginally more likely than either of these scenarios is that HDCP will be so full of holes by then that nobody will give a damn. But I feel it needs pointing out. I also have a stripper, though I don't currently use it. I think the problems if any will only arise when sky get in on the act, when we have 2 way comms with a device to which it's connected. Though I think key revocation is possible with a DVD disc, ie you hire one from Blockbuster and it might switch you off. This can't happen till they get hold of the user key though, which is via sky box uplink.

6. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +393
    Yes totally agree with the Key revocation scenario. They need a two way communication to be able to do that. Security is a great feature of HDMI/HDCP but time will tell how the holes get plugged or if....

Very interesting that Sky will be offering full HD res via YUV. Sounds like they still haven't made their mind up ! Hardly surprising since they're probably calculating financial streams and cost implications.....Any links ?

7. creative-av

creative-av

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    A bit off topic, but is anyone using the GeFen HDMI switcher that strips off HDCP? If so, any comments?

Steve

8. Andrew_P_S

Andrew_P_S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gordon

Article to be found here: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/article/ds21697.html

Would welcome your feedback

MAW

Yes - fair point and worth mentioning. The trouble is - there are just so many of these devices around - at least five sources already. And this is well before SKY HD is launched. Whenever any new technology (particularly those with a performance step) arrives there is always the worry and furore over copyrighting. Do you remember the early litigation over software companies who had irresponsibly and wrecklessly produced software that would copy normal music CDs?? I guess we will look back on HDCP in 12 months (or weeks the way it is going) with similar disdain..... but I may be wrong.

One final point is SKYs appetite for policing the rules. In my opinion SKY will only invoke the minimum rules to enable them to obtain product from the studios. They already turn a blind eye to hundreds of thousands of ex-pat people living in Europe who register with a UK address and watch the content abroad. This is not allowed as SKY do not buy the European rights - and if you ask them - they will tell you it is not allowed! Do they know it goes on - Yes! Do they try and stop it - No! ..... but then.... why would they?

Similarly - if you are prepared to pay the premium for HD broadcasts - do you really think SKY are going to be bothered if you watch it through Analogue/Digital/stripped or not? I suspect not. They will do the minimum they have to to satisfy the studios......

....IMHO !

9. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    It's pretty much what they said before. HD component out on first gen boxes ONLY for their own content. Not necessarily for those of other broadcasters using the SKY platform. However it does now look like they are saying that all HD from Sky's own channels will be component on first gen. Which is good.

Thanks Andrew.

G

10. Andrew_P_S

Andrew_P_S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gordon - I think it is a significant step, given that the main obstacles to HD non-HDCP broadcast were the film studios, paranoid about HD piracy. The announcement implies that any Sky Movies broadcast in HD will be shipped out on component as well in HD. If the Film studios allow this - which broadcaster is going to stop analogue HD and go down an HDMI route only?

Clearly - the only reason I am so interested is because of the 50Hz PHD issue, but it does look like my 'illegal' (lock me up and throw the key away) box, or any of the others around.... may not be required anyway....

11. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    It may still come in useful for HD DVD/Blu-ray. ;)

Steve

12. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Too right it will, and there you are much safer from key revocation, assuming HD-DVD players are not broadband enabled or anything daft like that.

13. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Even if they are there is no need to plug the cable in..........As th US drives alot of this and has some interesting laws (sky would not be able to do what they do in the US) HDCP is not the end of pirates let alone legitimate use on harware that is not 100% compatible

14. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    And besides, HD-DVD might well be 1080p/60.

15. Mr Eddy

Mr Eddy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Coming back to basics. Can this screen accept any analogue component signal, including 720p from any source. I believe it doesn't do 1080i

I say this on the assumption that xbox 360 will have component out, as will SKY HD.

So keep it simple and explain.

16. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    nope it will be happy at virtually any video or PC res on analogue at multiple refresh rates it will be perfectly happy wioth 1080i on RGBHV or component at 50 or 60Hz

17. Mr Eddy

Mr Eddy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Also can anyone furnish me with details of any HDMI (HDCP compliant) to VGA converters that might work with a 50PHD7 (do they do 50hz)

18. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Not on a public forum.....................
    Let google guide you and the retailers who regularly post in this forum quote you
    To start you off an HDCP stripper will remove the HDCPO from a digital video signal be it in a DVi-D or HDMI cable, when there is no HDCP signal scaler etc are able to convert DVi-D to analogue in either colour component or colour diffference flavours (RGBHV ot YPbPr)

19. Mr Eddy

Mr Eddy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    So assuming a non HDCP source, an HDMI signal going via an HDMI - VGA converter without HDCP stripping would display on the 50PHD7?

Would that be both 720p and 1080i? at the right Hz

20. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    1080i and 720p at 50 and 60 Hz on analogue, how you get from Digital RGB or Component to analogue is the critical bit quality wise

21. Mr Eddy

Mr Eddy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I am trying to be good.

So do you suppose that there are any digital hdmi signal (non HDCP) - VGA analogue or Component convertors out there that produce good results.

22. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Lumagen DVi and and Iscan HD+ should do a pretty good job........................

23. Mr Eddy

Mr Eddy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Blimey thats a big bucks answer.

I will have to trawl elsewhere methinks.

One final point. I really liked my 42pw7 but it did suffer from some lip sync issues. Dumb question but does a TH-50PHD7 panny have to do much more processing (more pixels) and suffer as a result?

24. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    not really the processor used in the HD screens is much better than the one used in SD screens (besides and HD+ has lip sync correction built in)

25. Mr Eddy

Mr Eddy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hd+ ?

26. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Iscan HD+ another scaler from DVDO see www.dvdo.com for more info

27. Mr Eddy

Mr Eddy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    That is a nice piece of kit. I assume armed with the HD+ and the 50PHD7 I could watch any feed with a very nice picture, including any future HDMI feeds.

But why not just a save up a little bit more for the 50pv500?

I would prefer the PHD and iscan just for playing purposes.

28. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    It might not seem so, but the PHD is a much more powerful and flexible display than the PV500 will be, if you were going to do any saving up, it should be for the PHD8. The PC restrictions, and multiple cabling required for pV install are a pain in the butt. The scaler is not going to be any help to you with the PV.

29. Mr Eddy

Mr Eddy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    PHD7 av-sales offer does seem good. If I had to go with scaler any other recommends other than iscan+ (I am thinking cheaper by the way!)

30. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The Lumagen DVI is the only other 'real' option, not too much difference in price. With the PHD, both will run more or less out of the box, the resolution is a preset in both scalers. That's a keen offer on the silver one, I can't think why it's so much cheaper than black.