Th 50 PH 9UK Service Menu

J

Jensemann

Hi, does anyone know what the Sub Contrast (50) and Sub bright (80)means?

Main Contrast I put from 80 to 86 cause my Panel was a little bit dark, but what are the Sub Contrast and Bright for? Same fpr G,B, R Sub Bright that is not 0 but somthine like E, 11, or E1 why???

Hi,

How did you get into the service menu? (sorry for being able to answer your question)

Christian

Hold vol- on the screen front panel and press the status button on the remote three times. (Status button is the one with the square symbol with the + in it)

When you go in the service menu, the changes you made in the main menu are ignored (you will see your picture brighten). When you come out of the service menu, the changes will be reapplied. So first thing, if you are going to adjust in the service menu you need to normalise brightness and contrast in the user menu. Sub-bright and sub-contrast are the same controls, except they are in the service menu and effectively you are changing the defaults. Whatever you set here will be what the panel will show with the user menu normalised. So don't screw this one up otherwise you will lose your normal picture forever!!!! If you don't know what you are doing, get out of there now.

Whatever you do don't touch the RGB controls without the right tools and the right knowledge to use them. You could get yourself into a world of trouble otherwise...

(PS the values are hex)

Thank you pretty much... but I already changed!

If I understood right you mean if I for example change Colour to plus 10 it will be 0 as soon as I enter the Service Menu? This wouldn't be a problem! I just need a little bit more contrast!

My picture is much to dark (from the contrast, that I have to put to 25-30) what do I have to do?
Just turn the main contrast (80) a little bit higher (90, 95?) or do I have to switch the sub contrast higher too? For what is the sub contrast??? and what is the sub R, G, B that is not turned to 0 but a little bit more like 9, E11...[/B]

I know that it is hex

EVerything to 0 in the USER MENU not the service menu.

e.g. service menu is at default, user menu is default, lets say this is black = 0. If you change sub-bright in the SERVICE menu, then you exit. Now even with the USER menu at default, black is now -4. You are changing the value of the default in the USER menu when you adjust the SERVICE menu.

First of all yor example:
Is there a way to get everything back to factory defaults?

Ok, now I think I understood, that means everything that is shown in the service menu as "main" is the setting I put it too... means if default contrast is set to 50 and I put it to 15-20 and go in the service menu than main contrast ist shown as 50 plus the changes? That means if I switch it in the User menu to 0 and go in again it should be the same as the Sub Contrast?

So all I have to do to get a better contrast is to change the Sub contrast, right? The question is... is there an overall limit... means if I turn the Sub contrast to about 15 steps higher I will just be able to use -30 to 15 instead of -30 to 30 in the user menu, or is there a gap of some steps...means for example -50 to 50 and after changing the sub contrast plus 15 steps it would be -50 to 35 so I can still Use the whole range?

The two sets of figures (service menu and user menu) are not related. You don't take five off of one and have it added to another.

The service menu adjust the panel driving defaults. The user menu then allows further adjustment on top of that. You can NORMALISE the user menu to get these defaults, but for the service menu you need to have written down what the defaults are to put it back.

Generally speaking, if you are adjusting the bright and contrast in the service menu, you leave the user menu alone because you've already set your levels!

Ok I know what you mean...

So the User menue has nothing to do with the service menu....

Ok, but I just want add some more contrast because the plus 30 I can use in the User menu is to less!

So what can I do? Put the Sub Contrast (50) to for example (60) or Do I have to change the Main contrast (80) in the service Menu to?

And can You please explain as far as you know, what the Sub Bright for the colours (R,G,B) is for and the Cut Off of the Colours (R,G,B) I just want to know why they are not pu to 0.

Just leave the USER menu on default brightness and contrast, do all your adjustments in the service menu.

I Think you don't understand what I mean! Maybe I can't express myself that well in english

Is the whole panel limited if I put the contrast to plus 30, or is there a wider range in the service menue that hast more steps than the 60 in the user menu -30 to +30 ???

And again the other question do I have to configure only Sub Contrast or Main Contrast in the service Menu? What is the differnce?

Sorry maybe I'm a little bit stupid but I want to understand the differnce between the sub parameters and the main parameters

Thank you for your long explanation

Thanks - I will try that tonight. I have a TH 42 PV500, but hopefully it should be the same .... or?

Christian

PV500 has different service menu, with much less in it. The PH series are far better in this regard. In case you fancy a look anyway I've dragged up the following notes I have on service menus for Viera TVs, but for gods sake please don't even bother trying if you don't know what you are doing. You will break your TV image permanently.

How to enter SERVICE 1

In sound menu, set BASS to MAXIMUM, and set TREBLE to MINIMUM.
Simultaneously press INDEX button on remote control and DOWN button on the TV set.

How to enter SERVICE 2

Set the channel to CH99.
Press HOLD button on remote control.

Same for the guy above who doesn't know what RGB bias controls do. If you don't know, don't touch 'em! These aren't things you can get accurate by eye.

Thanx Liam, but please tell me the thing with the contrast!
What is the difference between Main Contrast and Sub Contrast! All I want to change is a little bit more contrast cause 30 isn't still enough!

Hi again Liam,

I put everything back to factory settings! A service guy from Panasonic will have a look that day about the bad contrast and black level! (Maybe this black level is that bad with all PH9 (I think it's pretty good, but the one of my PHW 6 was even better and that's disappointing)

Please can you tell me, or someone else, when you enter the service menu, what is the first thing you can see? I want to put everything like it was, not risking, that the service guy will immediately see, that someone entered the Menu!

But please tell me the differnce between Main Contrast and Sub Contrast... and why is there only sub bright and no main bright?

There are three Sub Menus, when entering the service Menue. Behind the first one you can change everything like colours, contrast.... The third one includes the working hours, but:
What is behind the 2. Point, I'm not able to enter it.

As I went in over another input it was Main Contrast 2... that means you have to configure it for each input, right?

Is there anywhere a good page where all these things are explained... like RGB cut off, All Cut Off, Sub Bright...?

I really don't understand what you are talking about. You adjust contrast in the service menu and that's it!! Bear in mind it's reversed to the direction of the slider in the user menu (i.e. going right decreases contrast rather than increases)

??? Once again!

In the service Menu not User Menu there is Sub Contrast (Factory setting 50 (in HEX)) and Main Contrast (factory setting 80 in HEX) which one do I have to increase? Both or only Main? There's no slider at all. The Slider is only in the User Menu and there you can adjust from minus 30 to plus 30!!!) My problem is, that still plus 30 is too less

This is the only reason, ahy I want to increase it in the Service Menu

I thought when you were saying main you were talking about the user menu!!! You adjust both. Sub contrast is adjusting the panel driver itself, main contrast is manipulating the contrast of the signal as it goes into the panel. You still do not use the user menu for anything.

Can I just add that if you think the contrast at 30 doesn't give bright enough white levels then perhaps the panel is actually broken....as I can never remember, ever having a Panasonic set with that high a contrast.

I don't know It can't be broken, it just might be, that the used Motherboards have some bad parts, or just the factory settings are bad!?

Is it normal, that sub contrast is set to 50 and main contrast is set to 80?

Liam, If I understood right you mean if I turn sub contrast a little bit up (i.e. 10 steps) it pushes the range of the service (-30 to +30) up to i.e. (-20 to +40) although for sure still -30 to +30 is shown)

The main contrast instead pushes the incoming signal up? right? The shown effect is the same, right? Problem would be if the incoming signal is pushed to high than still if I turn (in the user menu) the leveler to -30 there might be the problem, that I can't see any details in white contrast ( i.e. The test picture with 96% brightness and 100% brightness are both 100% white?

So wouldn't it be better just to push the sub contrast up a little higher (about 10 or 15 HEX steps?)

Second question I think the black level is to bright (the darkest level I will be able to adjust), is there a possibility to get it a little bit darker? Or is there no way?

I suggest you get a professional in.

I just want to understand!

why are u reacting like that instead of just answering my questions?

I just want to understand!

why are u reacting like that instead of just answering my questions?

Sorry I don't mean this to sound harsh. But I don't want to be responsible if you break your picture!!!!

Ok doesn't matter...

But I still wanna knwow what the difference is...
I'm not going to break the picture, it's not that easy ... and I wrote everything down...

Another question... my biggest problem is the poor black level... I think there's no way of getting this better, is there? The other problem is the weak contrast (although I think it's better after some working hours now... might this be? Why?) If using a disc like Burosch or DVE with a grayscale can you just by pushing the contrast level to the maximum (within the User Menu) make some of the white stripes disappear (means a lot to bright) ??? There's now whay when I do this....

I'm using Gamma 2.2 ( I Think this is the best to see all details, isn't it)

I use 2.5 gamma in light controlled rooms, 2.2 in brighter environments.

Black level should be brilliant on these screens so might be worth checking it isn't faulty?? Same for contrast. Although with traditional controls you can't crush whites by just sliding up to max on the user contrast control (you also shouldn't need to anyway)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom