TH-42PZ80's - John Lewis annoyed me today!

V

vwgolfman

Hi,
My local John Lewis has TH-42PZ80's in stock at a ridiculously high price.

When I called them to ask whether they would price match Richer Sounds they said they would have to investigate the Richer Sounds price and that it would take several days. The shops are only a few miles from each other for goodness' sake!
Couldn't they just phone Richer Sounds up or something?

They also said that they could only price match if the sets were actually on display in Richer Sounds and not "out the back". I told them that I had a set reserved with Richer Sounds and could simply walk into the shop, buy it and take it home whether it was on display or not.
Would they price match?
No. They needed to investigate.

Even if I did buy it from them they didn't want me to collect it and take it home from the shop incase I didn't transport it correctly.
They wanted to deliver.
Can a man not purchase something in a shop and take it home himself for goodness' sake?

As you can tell John Lewis cheesed me off today! :lesson:

What was the price they quoted? What is Richer Sounds price?

I bought one of these in October from J Lewis Aberdeen for £699. A price match with Currys.

The sales guy did it on the spot with just a phone call to the Currys branch.

However I do know they have this undersale department who make all the price match enquiries. Of course they don't work weekends!!

You can just buy it from J Lewis and you still have 30 days to find it cheaper.

Pablo

Hi Pablo.

£999 in John Lewis.
£729 in Richer Sounds.

Another question...
Is it possible for different JL branches to sell the same set at different prices?
If so can't I ask them to price match one of their other branches?

Anyway I thought it rather poor service as they have most likely lost a sale.

You need to do some homework and ring round a few JL branches. I know for a fact that Watford had these in for £717 last week, and Glasgow had them on at £699. Best bet is to ring the branch with the lowest price and order directly over the phone. They will deliver nationwide.

I got mine from JL last weekend and expected to have to wait a few days for delivery, but once I was happy it fitted in the back of the car, they were happy for me to take it away.

For both sets of TV's I've had in the past 2 or so years (PX60 and now a PZ80) the service, as expected from JL, has been exceptional.

Both times they have price matched, obviously got the 5 year warranty and free delivery. As mentioned in previous threads this time after ordering, they sold it cheaper elsewhere than I had initially bought, so refunded me £100.

Best shopping experience I have ever had, and all done from the comfort of my office!!!!!

PS - my local branch is JL Cheadle!

I recommend that you ring Glasgow to find out the price of the TV in question, I checked a few days ago and it was £699. Then you could order the TV through them if they allow it or, just go to your nearest JL and have them price match Glasgow. That's what I did, worked a treat, they didn't seem that impressed though :D

Just phoned Glasgow still £699.

Watford £717.

Anybody tried anywhere else?

John Lewis have a price check team that visits the establishments quoted. This is to see that it is an identical model and is actually available, ie on display and is ticketed at the price to be compared.

I think this is to prevent abuses such as a mate in a shop giving duff info over the phone.

I've never had a problem but they do take a few days to get back to you.

I have just called Glasgow and they say they do indeed have them at £699.
Unfortunately though they cannot deliver to me as I am at the other end of the island (actually on the South coast).

My local branch is Southampton so I called them next explaining the above.
Southampton agreed to price match but only once their undersales team had investigated.

My concern is that the price will rise in Glasgow and/or the TV will go out of stock.

Southampton could do nothing about this even though I explained that I wanted to buy it right here right now.

So I must now wait with everything crossed.
Can I expect them to write to me or telephone?
Should I call them if I have heard nothing in a day or two?

Many thanks for your time and help.

John Lewis CAN ring their other stores right away, it's when they price match other non John Lewis stores which takes time.

Hi Ananokki,
Yes I called them back and asked if they could give me a decision there and then as I had read on the internet that they did this for another customer and they agreed :thumbsup:

I now have the TV reserved at £699 awaiting my collection :smashin:

Glad to hear you've also made the plunge, I'm awaiting delivery for mine on Friday.

Well done VWGolfman. A great telly at a great price.

With a 5 yr warranty too.

Still cross with J Lewis?
:D
Pablo

Hi Pablo!

No, not cross with them now. I like them :D :thumbsup:

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Amazing the feeling you get when you get what you'd hoped for. Have to say that JL are very good generally, and although I was a bit p***ed off when I found out they didn't price match on their internet orders, were more than happy/helpful when I cancelled and went to order in store.
You won't be sorry you took the plunge.
Just watching the new Indiana Jones on blu ray - bloody brilliant picture, even on the running in settings I have it at.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

The reason they were not keen on you taking it home yourself was because they understand the issue of having to keep a plasma upright in transit. If it ends up damaged they are the ones who have to deal with it in the end so it's good advice on their part.

Besides JL delivery is usually free, none of that £30+ business from SOME internet retailers!

I agree with others that the service from JL has been exceptional. Good luck, my TV is coming Tuesday. :D

Hi, all I have been reading this forum for a while trying to make up my mind on a TV but finally just ordered the the 42pz80 from John Lewis for £699 here in Bristol, price matching with Glasgow.

Phoned them very friendly in deed, they reserved one for me and then phoned Glasgow to confirm. Call back 5 mins later to confirm .... :thumbsup:

Odin.

Hi all, FYI, as mentioned on other threads the Watford £599 deal for the PZ80 is now finished (£719 with them at the moment). However, good news is the Glasgow deal at £699 is still on and Andy informs me they have plenty of stock. I have now got a confirmed order with my John Lewis, Cambridge branch, at the £699 price match (normally £999 in Cambridge). So very happy and heres hoping for no faulty/dead pixels :thumbsup:

Happy buying everyone and many thanks for your info that lead me to this deal. :)

Does anyone know the where to get the best price for the 50" version of this TV? JL have it for £1300 on their website.

Thanks

John Lewis Bristol have price matched me 999 with house of fraser oxford street. Being delivered thursday.

Hi
Thanks. Just managed a similar thing with Leicester for Friday delivery.

:)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom