TH-42PX700PED vs TH-42PX70PED

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by seiko, May 6, 2007.

1. seiko

seiko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm, popped into my local Hughes today and watched the panasonic demo material on both the 700 and 70 side by side. To my disappointment and after ensuring all settings where identical the 700 definately showed more albeit not much more detail? I say disappointed as I actually prefer the 70's design and don't need the sound or extra HDMI not to mention the price is perfect for my budget but the 70's softer picture compared with the 700 was a little off putting. I asked the sales guy who told me that the 700 had a better colour and display engine however looking at Panasonics website they appear to be identical panels? Can someone please explain why this would be case or confirm the 70/700 display differences?

BTW, I'm only looking to get this as my Sony KF42SX300 doesn't accept component or HDMI even though its a 1366x768 panel. Sony?!* if I could only feed it HD material via it's VGA input I'd keep it! You can imagine how the wife feels!

:rolleyes:

2. Black Adder

Black Adder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Yes but were the cables the same and both signals coming from the same splitter if used, or exactly the same routing from the source?

There are lots of things which are likely to be inconsistent in a dealer's shop even if you yourself have set the menu's identically.

As far as I'm aware the PX70/700 are identical in things that matter for PQ.

The same phenomena/imaginings happened with the old PX60/600 with ppl saying the PX600 was a better PQ and "dealers" trotting out the same line about "improved engines" and heaven knows what else they made up on the spot.

I would be interested to know if there really is any difference in circuitry/components/whatever between the PX70/700 if anyone knows. I doubt anyone at Panasonic UK will be able to answer with any credibilty as to this as this sort of knowledge would be way over their heads - you may as well ask the cat.

3. CHFels

CHFels

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    The only thing that could make the two differ in PQ is if the PX700 had the anti-glare coating that the European versions of the PX700 do have - but posts from the few owners/sellers who have seen it indicate that in Britain it does not have it. If Panasonic is not touting better processing - and they are not - it's a sure bet that it's identical on the PX700. Different setup parameters or different cables no doubt explain what you saw.

CHFels

4. seiko

seiko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys, went back and asked to see the feeds and low and behold the 70 was being fed by S video via scart whilst the 700 component. The sales guy's face just turned a funny shade of pink after he had previously stated both where being fed component. Switched them over and low and behold, razor sharp images on the PX70 and a softer image on the 700.

Alas, the negotiations fell through anyway as they would only offer the PX70PED for £1100 and no extended warrranty. They offered a free Panasonic DVD recorder instead which as I'm moving to Sky HD and a PS3 was as useful as a chocolate teapot.

Went to Currys to see what they could do on a PX70PED, SkyHD and PS3 combo but when I viewed SWAT on a Samsung BluRayplayer HDMI 1024i I was so disappointed in the lack of detail I didn't even ask. I assume it is just a poor example of the format as the DVD playback via component had so much more detail in Hughes with identical settings?

I then started to notice the Pio427 running side by side and oh dear, it has much nicer colours but Currys is the cheap 1 HDMI version and I need two! Talk about a giving yourself a headache and going around in circles!

:confused:

5. CHFels

CHFels

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    What's the problem? There are plenty of other retailers to buy the PX70PED from, and get the 5 yr warranty. John Lewis, using the pricematch strategy, for example. Since 80% of the discussion on every PX70 thread seems to be about prices, you should have no trouble finding out where to go next. :rolleyes:

Don't worry about one poor in-store demo, and certainly don't get hung up on the nearly-discontinued Pio 4270! At near the £1000 mark, right now there are just 2 plasmas to consider: Pana PX70, and Samsung Q97. The Samsung's cheaper, the pic is just as good or better and more adjustable (according to owners) and has 3 HDMIs. But since this is the first generation of Samsungs able to compete with Panasonics, many people around here won't take it seriously. :devil: :lesson:

to get back to the thread title, TH-42PX700PED vs TH-42PX70PED, right now it's a bit of a no-brainer in the UK. The 700 costs much
    more, and all you get is better sound, 3rd HDMI and an SD card reader. On the continent it's much more competitive, because it adds an anti-glare screen and the price difference is much smaller. I guess Panasonic figured there's no need for anti-glare in a country that sees so little of the Sun . . . :rolleyes:

CHFels

6. CHFels

CHFels

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    How lame, quoting myself to bump up a thread . . . :devil:

But a serious addition: the 42PX700E, with Ped, is going for about €1470 + delivery, at a couple of retailers now in Spain. :thumbsup: That's 1000 pounds even, folks. And it has the anti-glare coating, which *works* and does not appear to harm the colors or the black levels (based, admittedly, on a store HD feed demo I saw yesterday). And yes, the sound is better than on the PX70. Some of you fence-sitters may want to consider ordering a PX700 from the continent - France and Germany are usually cheaper than Spain . . .

CHFels