TH-42PX70/700 - Some Questions

L

Leicester Dave

Hi guys,

I've currently got a Panny 42PWD6 wall mounted.
It's given spectacular service for the last 30 months, but now I want a new HD TV.

I know the new Panny's have had superb reviews, not only on here, but I've got some questions.....

1. Will my "old" panny wall mount work with the new 42" screen? Can the PED easily be removed......

2. How come the resolution of this new panel is 1024x768, but it's widescreen? This confuses me no-end. Surely it'll confuse any video source that thinks 1024x768 is shown at 4:3 not 16:9 ?!

3. Does it have 1 or 2 HDMI connections? Every review I read has a different number.

4. What's the difference between the 70 and the 700?

5. Can anyone who has tried a Wii (Component) an Xbox360 (Component/VGA) or a PS3 (HDMI) comment on the picture quality?

Cheers.

Regarding the difference between the PX70B & PX700B as sold in the UK, you can download the user manuals from the Panasonic UK website for both these models & have a look at what each one has to offer :

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/customer-Support/download-centre.asp

There are some minor diffrences on the PX700 like extra inputs for example.

Though both sets have 2 HDMI inputs.

Hi guys,

2. How come the resolution of this new panel is 1024x768, but it's widescreen? This confuses me no-end. Surely it'll confuse any video source that thinks 1024x768 is shown at 4:3 not 16:9 ?

Cheers.

Rectangular pixels rather than square ones

Bob

I believe the PX700 has an additional HDMI at the front, below the flap.

Hi,

I am in the same situation as Leicester Dave (hope you don't mind me jumping in), is there any picture quality difference between the 70 and the 700? The 2 HDMI inputs and 2 Scarts are adequate for me but I just want the best picture quality I can on a 42" Plasma up to circa £1200. The other one I am considering is the Pioneer 42" 427XD.

Dave

Hi,

I am in the same situation as Leicester Dave (hope you don't mind me jumping in), is there any picture quality difference between the 70 and the 700? The 2 HDMI inputs and 2 Scarts are adequate for me but I just want the best picture quality I can on a 42" Plasma up to circa £1200. The other one I am considering is the Pioneer 42" 427XD.

Dave

You'll have to wait like the rest of us because the 700 isn't out yet so no way to compare.

Hi,

Dave

According to the specs, the picture quality on PX70 and PX700 should be identical, can't see anything to suggest otherwise. The only possible difference could be if the PX700 has an anti-glare coating on the glass, if so, that may impact picture quality.

(I have a PX70 and am delighted with the picture quality by the way).

Thanks for that info, what source(s) are you using? Are you using in HD? I own a TH-37PE30 that I bought 3 years ago and set me back £3100 so i don't want to make a mistake again having lost an awful lot of money. I know they are alot cheaper now but even so

Dave

Rectangular pixels rather than square ones

Bob

Hmmmm. That's what I thought must be the case.
However, surely that means it isn't really a widescreen display - it's a horizontally stretched 4:3 display?!

Perhaps I'll wait for the Z70.....

LD

However, surely that means it isn't really a widescreen display - it's a horizontally stretched 4:3 display?!

LD

dont mean to rob your thread here matey, but quick question... i live in leicester also and am right on the brink of purchasing the 42PX70 but when i had a look at the one in Dixons it didnt seem as good as the others next to it but all my research points to the panny being the better TV, so my q is, did you have a demo and if so where did you go for it??

dont mean to rob your thread here matey, but quick question... i live in leicester also and am right on the brink of purchasing the 42PX70 but when i had a look at the one in Dixons it didnt seem as good as the others next to it but all my research points to the panny being the better TV, so my q is, did you have a demo and if so where did you go for it??[/QUO

Never trust what you see in the stores. They are rarely set up correctly.

Saw a PX70 on Saturday and found the picture OKish.
Picked up the remote and had a play. Was on dynamic, noise reduction on and some weird settings.
I set it to Cinema, with all the 'features' off. Beautiful colourful natural picture.

dont mean to rob your thread here matey, but quick question... i live in leicester also and am right on the brink of purchasing the 42PX70 but when i had a look at the one in Dixons it didnt seem as good as the others next to it but all my research points to the panny being the better TV, so my q is, did you have a demo and if so where did you go for it??[/QUO

Never trust what you see in the stores. They are rarely set up correctly.

Saw a PX70 on Saturday and found the picture OKish.
Picked up the remote and had a play. Was on dynamic, noise reduction on and some weird settings.
I set it to Cinema, with all the 'features' off. Beautiful colourful natural picture.

i thought as much, dixons staff are hardly what i'd call knowledgeable, my TV knowledge isnt all that but i'm really good with computing/networking (work in IT) and some of the advice ive heard given to customers on laptops is frankly, shocking!!

am still pretty sure i'm gonna take the PX70, esp as the price keeps dropping...:clap:

LD

I have a 37in PV500 that is 1024 by 720. It also has rectangular pixels and works just fine on HDMI inputs - there is no distortion here. Hitachi were doing 1024 by 1024 sets I recall. Some people reckon the picture is better if there is a dot for dot match.

The Panny 70/700 series highlight the need to distinguish between the meaning of "1080p" and "Full HD" on a TV. The first just means it will process the 1080p signal (as on the 42in 700) whereas the second means it has the dots to make the most of it as well (1920x1080). There are also some 1920x1080 sets that won't do 1080p.

Thanks for that info, what source(s) are you using? Are you using in HD? I own a TH-37PE30 that I bought 3 years ago and set me back £3100 so i don't want to make a mistake again having lost an awful lot of money. I know they are alot cheaper now but even so

Dave

My PX70 source is Sky - originally a standard Sky+ box, have since upgraded to a Sky HD box. On standard def channels, the picture quality is excellent. The HD channels are just wonderful.

The PX700 - has an Auto picture mode too - automatically adjusts to ambient light? Also has SD card slot and front AV inputs for camcorders (including Svideo), plus 1 extra scart input.

31W RMS audio is pure bull, Panny have just added the L+R channels, it's more like 15.5W RMS.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom