1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TH-42PWD7BS or TH-42PW7B

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Steve_B, Dec 20, 2004.

1. Steve_B

Steve_B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Hi All,

*Plasma Newbie*

I am about to take the plunge and buy my first panel, having had a 50" RPTV for 3 years now, the time has come to recover the lost space... budget doesn't stretch to a 50" panel so 42" will have to do :)

My brother just purchased a Sony plasma TV and the picture is awful so aint going that route...

The Panny 7 sersies seems to be the way to go but having read the many threads on the "Consumer" v "Business" version I am still unsure which one is "best" if there is a comparison to make?

I called up AV-Sales (as most recommend their service!) and spoke with a very helpful guy who assured me there is "NO" difference between the "consumer" and "business" variants except an extended service menu that I cannot access any way . The £100 price difference is due to an insentive from Panny??? He even said that as I wanted black the series 6 was probably a better bet???

I will be connecting up Sky & Tivo, H/K DVD-25 via an H/K AVR-8500 amp and a Shuttle PC with ATI 9700 Pro vga\DVI with component dongle. So assume a component board + dvi would be best?

Someone please help... I am drowning in model numbers...

Cheers
    -Steve

2. Steve_B

Steve_B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Anyone got any help to give???

or did I not include the secret handshake in the post? :D

3. blackmanalishi

blackmanalishi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Steve, try a search on the forum for "PW7" or similar as there are already a number of responses to this question.

I've heard of a couple of differences and I've spoken to AV Sales myself who gave me slightly conflicting info, so here's what I know:

There's a consumer and business version of the PW7.
    The business version is also available in black.
    They come from different sources and are aimed at different customers, hence the price difference (according to AV Sales)
    The business model has twin digitizers allowing more PIP options (according to Joe_Fernand and other posts, but AV knew nothing about this - they insist it's purely cosmetic)
    Either way you'll be getting a fantastic screen - I got a 37" PW7BX from buyyourav.com last week and I'm stoked with it.

Stock (certainly the consumer model) seems to be a little hard to come by, so get your order in quick...

Good luck...

4. geeWcee

geeWcee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    As a PW7 owner who has been stung by the 'HDMI issue' (or so it seems) I would hang on in there for the PW8...unless you dont want HD support when it becomes available.

5. Steve_B

Steve_B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Hi,

Thanks for the replies, it was the fact that I had searched and read threads discussing the difference that I was getting more and more confused by it.

HD isn't a priority right now as I don't fancy paying Mr Murdoch a greater fee for the pleasure... by the time its mainstream there will be greater panels\new tech available to choose from... at probably much lower prices...

Any dates for the PW8 launch?

-Steve

6. geeWcee

geeWcee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    When they see enough of us 'early tech adoptors' coming..... :blush:

7. JonStatt

JonStatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +446
    Has anyone with a PW7 (commercial version) had any difficulty in displaying a Component and Scart, or a Scart and VGA image together in PIP or PAP?

Jonathan