TH-42PWD7BS. Changed my mind again and need a little help

Reaction score
http://www.av-sales.co.uk/plasma/html/panasonic_th-42pwd7bk.html

Looking at gettin the silver one with stand.
1. what is the free dual slot component terminal board?

2. I use sky+,dvd,xbox and ps2. Would that component board be enough? Or do I need a scart board?
This is the main thing I cant understand when trying to buy a plasma.

3. Would I get a much better result with this screen than the LG PX11?

4. My room is not suitable for 5.1 what would you guys recommend instead?

5. How fast is AV-Sales delivery times?

Thanks for all the help guys. I might get there soon. Better safe than sorry tho :)

If nobody can answer the questions how about telling me the best way to connect sky+

why is your room not suitable for 5.1?

bigval said:
If nobody can answer the questions how about telling me the best way to connect sky+

scart cable from Sky+ to RGB - VGA converter then VGA lead to plasma VGA port (free)

component (3 RCA) cable for DVD player to component board

probably need a scart switcher to connect your other equipment

cheers tam

@albertz:- Room is a daft shape. Has 2 doors so furniture has to go in a certain way. The TV equipment goes in one corner. And the couch has to go along the back wall with a door on either side of it. Just cant see how I can get the speakers in place :(

@tamthetim:- So the board I get free with the screen will do for the sky+?
And will I get the vga lead with the board or do I buy seperate? Want to get everything in one go.

Also is a scart switcher what you connect multiple scarts to and select the one you want to feed to screen? If so I already have that.

And can anyone confirm this is a much better buy than the PX11?
And what is the difference between TH-42PW7B and TH-42PWD7BS?
Is the S for Silver?

thanks for all the help guys it is really appreciated :)

bigval

if you're not buying an amp and speakers (can't you wall mount them behind the couch)..........................are you ging to buy the panny speakers.............made for the panel.

remember its just a display panel you are buying..............it has 3 slots for boards to connect equipment to.....scart........component.....composite etc.

component doesn't carry sound.................correct me if i'm wrong somebody.

if you're going down that road......you might be better getting a free scart board and connect everthing through the switcher you already have, even sky.

the VGA port in standard on all screens.............but don't think this carries sound either.............but the scarts do..................the majority of people who buy thses panel would have an amp.................or a one box solution sony DAV etc

think the D means it the business side of panny's panel - probably confused you even more!

Can you give me a link to a good amp so I can see what I need?

I will need some sort of speakers as I was aware that the panel had no sound.

Would I be able to feed it thru some hi-fi equipment?

http://www.av-sales.com/html/yamaha_rx-v350.html

would that do the same job? Dont want to spend too much on this yet.
Also am I right in thinking I can get any speakers I want and connect to the amp?

If I went the way of getting a new dvd with 5.1 then I guess I cant hear sky thru it.

I am really struggling here. Not really well up on it.

Assuming you get the component board (best quality) then the 5.1 system will need compenent outputs.

DVD System (with speakers) > Plasma = using compenent

You can then link:

Sky Box (using RGB to VGA) > Plamas = Using VGA Port. (£126 ish)
jl-rgb-vga.jpg

Sound for SKY would have to be channelld into the DVD system, probably via some good quality phono cables.

Any other connections would have to be via scart and use a Multi Scart Controller (£56ish) plugged into the RGB to VGA connector. Sound again would have to linked from your Xbox (dotn know what connectors that has) to the DVD player probably by phono cables again (assuming your DVD player has enough INs).

MSC.jpg

Hope this helps, shows the need to consider your DVD Cinema Box carefully.

you could go down the home cinema in a box route, with a small room this would probably be best, its best to find one that outputs via rgb scart, i have a pioneer ns-dv88 ( via s-video ), not the best connection, but it will route sound through it, and the speaker cables are easily pushed down behind carpet and floor strips ( thats what i did ) this would be far cheaper than a dedicated set up, some manufacturers even do wireless rear speakers ( JVC ) but i dont know if these are any good,

it would certainly be a shame to lose out on 5.1, even in a small odd shaped room the difference is huge.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom