1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TH-42PWD6 power fault

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by bigtony12461, Jan 10, 2005.

1. bigtony12461

bigtony12461

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 14 month old TH-42PWD6 exhibiting the power off fauilt, flashing LED etc, that's well defined on here, and apparently well known about.

I've contacted Panny who suggest I take it to a local maintenance place, get a quotation for the fix, and they'll "consider" paying for it. So I'll have to lug it god knows where, be without a telly for who knows how long, and then maybe have to pay for what I belive is a design fault Panny know about.

Any comments on if Panny are being reasonable given the unit is out of warranty, or if I should push for a home fix asap given the well known state of this problem.

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    well unlkess panny have started farming plasma repair out to dealers......(used to all be done by Baron Mcann) i would ask panny for the name/number of your local authorised service centre and if they cant furnish you with it then get them to authorise a service call from Baron Mcann

3. bigtony12461

bigtony12461

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe the "place" was a Baron Mcann service centre.
    Just don't want all the hassle, and don't really know what I should demand.
    T

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    well an onsite fix is pushing it (warranty is on site) but they could ask you to pay courier costs back to service centre and fix FOC be nice and they will probably either send an enginner out of just charge you shipping (cant moan at this really) worth speaking to dealer as well

5. bigtony12461

bigtony12461

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think my point is that this fault is well known, and described by some as a "design fault", and that Panny should have an obligation to fix this fault whatever.
    T

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    i havent come across them actually charging anyone for fault upto 13 months perhaps you got an unsympathetic CS rep on the phone try calling back and speaking to another....

7. DucatiEVO

DucatiEVO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it a simple fix; I heard the power board has to be replaced? Perhaps you could purchase just the board and stick it in yourself (least that's wot I'd do if I could)

8. stoobydale

stoobydale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Bigtony, Do you know how many hours you have clocked up on your plasma? I only ask because I bought one about 6 months ago but have probably not even used it for 200 hours so this concerns me a bit because mine will surely be out of warrenty before any probs show up. I seem to have read a thread somewhere before about a solicitor who would give advice in these areas because it was unreasonable to pay £2000+ for a tv and then for it to go faulty so soon after the warrenty had expired.

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    bigtony read this http://www.dti.gov.uk/ccp/topics1/facts/salegoodsact.htm the important bits
    AND
    ie design flaws......