1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TH-42PW6 Owners list your optimum viewing settings

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by snakeeater, Jun 8, 2004.

1. snakeeater

snakeeater
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay my screen is now at a time where I have passed the burn in and ready to alter the setting for the best picture.

I ordered DVE which should be back soon, and then I began to think "wouldnt it be easier just to ask fellow experienced TH-42PW6 owners what settings they have?".

So on that note, after much fiddling, calibrating, etc, what settings are you using on your panny 6 and why?

2. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I was thinking of asking a similar question in preperation for mine being delivered. Of course there is an element of personal taste and various other factors that could affect how you would set up but I think a listing from owners would be helpful to an extent, especially to us new owners :)

3. snakeeater

snakeeater
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats what i thought. Even though people have different lighting conditions etc it would be useful to see what settings Panny 6 users generally use.

4. chalkdust

chalkdust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Especially users with the advantage of an Avia setup disc. I wonder if people using this disc have different setup settings maybe compensating for slight differences in individual panels.

5. snakeeater

snakeeater
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Doesnt seem like anyone wants to share :confused:

Another good forum where they are very helpful is http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/

Might be worth asking there too :smashin:

6. deman77

deman77
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For HD15 input where my scart-vga Qsync goes I prefer Warm colour temprature. It looks a bit strange at first but when you look at it for five minutes it looks better. Then reduce red in both highlights and shadows by 5 (sky is too red). AGC to on. Sharpness -3. Contrast and brightness set via THX set up (available on many DVDs e.g. Monsters Inc). You may want to always run your contrast slightly lower then suggested by THX to reduce solarisation although it helps to just learn to leave with it.

With DVD just set contrast and brightness, didn't touch the colours.

I had to completely change my settings when I repainted the walls from pinkish to orchid white (more like yellow). Just to confirm that the settings are very much environment driven.

7. chalkdust

chalkdust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Thanks deman77, some useful info and observations there. I have the Avia setup disc but it is for NTSC. Will use it though once I get my plasma.

8. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    I don't want to me Mr Misery, but posting settings is not really much use unless other people have EXACTLY the same kit as you. I speak from experience I as scoured the forums here and at avsforum before I got my PWD6 looking for settings - I tried loads, but just ended up starting again on my own...

The main things is that these settings can be drastically different depending upon:

How they do they connect scart, YUV etc???

What sources are they using?

Do they have a scaler?

Are they using a HTPC etc???

etc, etc.

I agree settings give others some sort of guidelines, but the in general the best thing to do it to spend some time with AVIA or DVE and use your own eyes (have a look at www.avsforum.com and search on 'steaming rat'). If you can't afford one of the setup discs then something like Optimode on some THX discs is a good place to start...

Good Luck :smashin:

JJ