Th-42PHD8UK Questions

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Hyperion99, Nov 4, 2005.

1. Hyperion99

Hyperion99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

I've never posted here before, so please forgive me if I miss a rule or ask something that's been answered elsewhere.

I just bought a Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK and am learning my way around the unit. The picture is incredible and I'm really enjoying the upgrade from my old 27" tube. We've had it only three days and last night I watched the first movie on a DVD - hence the first question.

Movies in 16x9 mode.
    Last night I put in a movie DVD (The Gift) and tried to watch it in 16x9 mode. Flipping through the aspect modes, I couldn't get the plasma to show the movie without distortion. Zoom and Normal obviously don't do this, but Full and Just had distortion on the sides AND displayed a dark strip along the top and bottom of the screen. (I didn't see the Panasonic Auto mode, as mentioned in the manual.) After monkeying around for 20 minutes, I managed to find a setting on the DVD player that, combined with the Just aspect on the plasma, produced a full screen picture with minimal - but present - distortion. I'm still not sure if the whole picture was being displayed or not. My DVD player has been set to widescreen for use with my old regular tv and I was surprised that I had to change something to make this work. What am I missing here?

TY-FB8HM card.
    Is the TY-FB8HM card the right unit for connecting the plasma to the DVD player via an HDMI cable? Will this configuration give me the best resolution on the plasma? My LG DVD player has the upconversion feature and I'd like to take advantage of that too.

Thanks in advance for your help!
    David

2. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +484
    could you not select 16:9aspect ratio on the remote? Most films in widescreen still include the black bars, that's normal. Also you might find that a component board gives better results, most folks reckon the panny screens are better with analgue for std def sources.

3. Hyperion99

Hyperion99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, I couldn't find the 16x9 mode on the remote - am I supposed to get there by pressing Aspect until it shows?

4. Thatsnotmynaim

Thatsnotmynaim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +978
    Put screen to full as that's how it should be, then I'd suggest you check that your dvd players settings are set to 16:9. A film that is transfered to DVD in cinema wide will have black bars top and bottom as cinema is wider than 16:9.

The FB8 is the right one, the FB7 was designed for the generation 7 and had problems (it couldn't do it) with 720p and 1080i @ 50 Hz.

This should give very good results, but for the best results and another £1000 a scaler feeding the plamsa at it's native resolution of 1024x768 will be best.

5. Thatsnotmynaim

Thatsnotmynaim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +978
    Aspect on the remote is the right button for the TV. The DVD should then be set to 16:9 or wide. You'll get no distortion and black lines top and bottom.

6. Hyperion99

Hyperion99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's exactly what I expected, but I had distortion on the sides. At one point the previous evening, I did see 16x9 when flipping through the aspect modes, but not last night. Could that be a result of the signal setting? I've got the plasma connected directly to the DVD player via RGB cables and the plasma signal setting set to RGB...

7. Thatsnotmynaim

Thatsnotmynaim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +978
    Mine say 16:9, but mines fed by VGA, you may get a different label if using SCART and also if the device on the other end of the SCART send an autoaspect ratio switching signal.

8. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +484
    screen possibly should be set to component (but we may use different terminology?) but it should definitley be set to 16:9 which is a standard aspect ratio selection ( i don't think full is an option is it?)

9. Hyperion99

Hyperion99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    > but it should definitley be set to 16:9 which is a standard aspect ratio selection ( i don't think full is an option is it?)

Yes, Full is displayed when flipping through the aspect modes. I'll try switching it to component tonight and see what happens...

10. Hyperion99

Hyperion99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks everyone for your help. I found that the DVD adjustment was the right way to go - it needed to be told it was outputting to a 16x9 monitor. I'm good to go.
    David